Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My pet shop guy told me that he sells baby rabbits for the same price as mice, and that they have 'much more on them than mice' and that I'd be better buying these for my Corns..
It'd be nice to give them a little change from mice, but I haven't really heard of them eating rabbits before..

oppinions?

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:47:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd change petshops....

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wouldnt the rabbits be huge as baby rabbits are still quite big compared to adult mice

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:48:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

wouldnt the rabbits be huge as baby rabbits are still quite big compared to adult mice

yup!

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

yup!

thought so, my uncle once had baby rabbits from his two and my royals wouldnt even be able to take them atm until there fully grown

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear... lol

The guy at my petshop seems quite knowledgable, but I trust you guys more!
I'll ask him to have a look at one next time I go down, he told me they were about the same size but i don't know.

I dismissed it when he was telling me, because I thought it was a bit strange.. surely more people would do it if it was good for them!

Are there any other things you can feed them?
I know when they are younger they can eat anoles and frogs etc...

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if they were small enough you could feed one every now and then, but baby rabbits are what burms eat when they outgrow rats half the time

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:56:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
why not ask him to show you one compared to a large mouse?

i'm sure nutritionally they'll be more fatty, less calcium and i'm not sure what else off the top of my head but i think maybe mikeR posted a link to a table of nutritional values of various prey item?

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okidoki, cheers. I'll have a look and judge the size of them, my snakies aren't huge so.

Just been looking through another of my threads, where VetDebbie was talking about her Tessera. She put that she's gonna feed it some rabbits so it's ready for breeding next year.

Cheers for the advice guys :)

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:58:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

if they were small enough you could feed one every now and then, but baby rabbits are what burms eat when they outgrow rats half the time

my bigger boas (6ft+) are on 'baby' rabbits, no idea how old they are as they're wild rifle-shot but they weigh in at about 750g-1kg

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

why not ask him to show you one compared to a large mouse?

i'm sure nutritionally they'll be more fatty, less calcium and i'm not sure what else off the top of my head but i think maybe mikeR posted a link to a table of nutritional values of various prey item?

Ooh that'd be very helpful, i'll have a search now.
cheers!
oh, and sorry about that other thread I started... I'll be much more bearable when my eggs have hatched lol!

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  15:17:44  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just google baby rabbits an u can see the size of them there, oviously size will depend on bred of rabbit but even then ya still looking at something that will take the palm of ya hand up. so unless u got a monster of a corn snake will be to big

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  15:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

just google baby rabbits an u can see the size of them there, oviously size will depend on bred of rabbit but even then ya still looking at something that will take the palm of ya hand up. so unless u got a monster of a corn snake will be to big

Might make for a good stew tho

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  16:39:35  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my local had day old rabbits for sale,they didnt seem that big,just the same as a small rat weaner.I would of got some for my baby dumeril but they were too pricey.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  17:00:01  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah agree lee they are about that size

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  18:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cv14BYah4o =Rabbit babies.

Look a bit big for even a monster corn.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  20:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got Vin I was told you can feed day old chicks to adult corns every now and again for variety, but apparently they have less nutritional value than a mousie

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  20:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
newborn rabbits are huge compared to mice would say they're on par with a large rat, are you sure they meant rabbits or were they talking guinea pigs

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  21:21:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VicNCal

...Just been looking through another of my threads, where VetDebbie was talking about her Tessera. She put that she's gonna feed it some rabbits so it's ready for breeding next year.....

I think that was meant tongue-in-cheek ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  12:04:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could probably feed pinky rabbits or new borns but I'm sure pinky rabbits would be much more expesnive as I only know of feeder rabbits being near adult size and shot or killed when bigger as theres no point killing them when small size since there are rats, mice and other prey that are cheaper to keep and breed that reach the small rabbit size. I've seen shot ones being sold at £2.50-£5 in pet shops so his mice but be at a stupid price!

Unless he kinda was thinking buy a rabbit and cut it up? XD
http://www.frozenfeeder.com/sizing.html Gives a good idea

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  10:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take it from someone who breeds rabbits, you would have to have a huge corn to take anything less than about a week old, even from a large litter, snything from a small litter just wont happen.
Its not the body size thats the issue so much, rabbits have big heads, and a completely different shape to rats and mice.
The guy in the pet shop is talking rubbish, and tbh, if they are as cheap as mice, then walk away anyway, because they are a more expensive from a supplier!

Just stick to mice.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000