The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Snake hasn't eaten for 5 weeks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Frazer Posted - 30/04/2011 : 09:47:46
Hi I'm looking after my friend's snake for a year. The snake is 14 years old, the problem is he hasn't eaten since I've had him which is about 5 weeks. He is very active in his viv and when I get him out. I have offered food regularly what shall I do.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Frazer Posted - 02/05/2011 : 18:06:07
Ok, I will do what you suggest and let you know how I get on. Thank for the advise. Frazer
lotabob Posted - 02/05/2011 : 12:43:16
I'd agree your heat mat needs a thermostat to actually control the temperature, if neither mats are regulated by a thermostat it will be like an oven in there, they heat themselves through their belly so you need digital thermometers located on the ground the snake is on to monitor the temperature, if its not touching the ground your measuring air temprature and IF the air temp is where you are getting your readings, those mats are extrememly hot.

I have 3 hide, cold end, hot end and middle, this way they feel secure and are able to thermoregulate by moving between the temperatures. In the middle is no good, even if your temperatures are correct (which they are unlikely to be at the moment).

Your not defrosting the mouse your cooking it, they dont eat cooked meals. Just sit it out for 3 hours at room temperature and it will be defrosted. To check its defrosted just place it in your hands, you'll feel if its still cold. Another reason you dont microwave them is they are in effect a bag of goo and gases, put too much heat into them and they will expand the gases and burst, you'll be picking mouse guts out of the microwave for ages, also if they dont burst in the microwave they still might when your snake constricts it.
gingerpony Posted - 02/05/2011 : 12:26:47
ok, so your heat mats aren't regulated - the temps could be an issue, how are you measuring the temps? and where are the heatmats actually situated?

the lack of hides could be an issue, he needs at least one in either end of the viv

your defrosting technique is questionable
as is your heating technique

have a good read of the site and use the 'search' facility
Frazer Posted - 02/05/2011 : 10:34:58
how is the heat actually regulated though? 2 heat mats 1 at each end
is the set-up the same as his previous keeper had it? yes
was he previously a good feeder? yes
does he usually go off food this time of year? only done it one time
are there any other snakes in the household? one about 1ft long
are 3 sides of the glass tank enclosed so he feels more secure? yes
how many hides does he have and where are they? 1 hide in middle of viv
how are you defrosting the mouse? sticking on radiator for 3hours and in microwave for 30secs
how are you heating up the mouse? sticking on radiator for 3hours and in microwave for 30secs
what size mouse are you offering? small mouse
does he usually have this size? yes
gingerpony Posted - 01/05/2011 : 21:21:33
how is the heat actually regulated though?
is the set-up the same as his previous keeper had it?
was he previously a good feeder?
does he usually go off food this time of year?
are there any other snakes in the household?
are 3 sides of the glass tank enclosed so he feels more secure?
how many hides does he have and where are they?
how are you defrosting the mouse?
how are you heating up the mouse?
what size mouse are you offering?
does he usually have this size?
Frazer Posted - 01/05/2011 : 21:15:35
Thanks I will take 1 of the mats out this evening and see if it makes any difference.
lotabob Posted - 01/05/2011 : 18:03:41
Your cold end at this time of year shouldn't really need a second heat mat. My cold end is around the 20-22oC mark without a mat at the moment. Probably nothing at all to do with the not eating but maybe worth looking into further.
Frazer Posted - 01/05/2011 : 17:48:32
The snake is about 3 and 1/2 foot long in a glass tank that's 4ft long by 18 inchs high. the temperature is regulated by two heat pads at between 24 - 28 degrees. He is very active in the viv and when I get him out. He was due to feed the week I got him, that was 5 weeks and 4 days ago. I have regularly put mice in but apart from taking some interest in them he hasn't eaten them.
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/04/2011 : 13:52:30
If you could have a looky at this thread http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13662 and answer the questions for us, it would be handy.
Cheers
-=K
Spreebok Posted - 30/04/2011 : 12:33:01
Sounds like mating season, but I'll let the more experience people give a better diagnosis ;)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000