The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Eaten fleas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 23/03/2011 : 15:44:00
Hey guys, sorry that my first post in a while is a question. I hope everyone is well :)

I bought a batch of 10 mice a while back and have just seen what looks like fleas on one of them. she has already ate 5 out of the 10 and seemed to have problems passing stools the last 2 feeds which included mice from this batch, not sure if they also had fleas but i assume they did, so my question is do you think the fleas have had a negative effect on her internally?
If so, vet trip?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 02/04/2011 : 19:59:53
Hey guys, sorry for late reply.

Thank you so much for the help, i phoned up my exotic rep vet, and she said exactly the same, nothing to worry about (so long as the mice were not treated for mites/fleas) i definately breathed yet another sigh of relief hehe.

Thank you again
gingerpony Posted - 25/03/2011 : 06:35:16
either way, the snake ingesting them should be no problem for the snake
lotabob Posted - 24/03/2011 : 20:54:16
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

harvest mites are yellow/orange

Then we have a winner.
gingerpony Posted - 24/03/2011 : 18:13:31
harvest mites are yellow/orange
lotabob Posted - 24/03/2011 : 16:47:27
How big were they? Were the bigger ones red/orange and the smaller ones black. If so thats possibly tics. Flea's are black, I've never seen one anything other than black and about as big as a full stop on a page. I've never seen mites on anything other than a bumble bee and they were yellow.
n/a Posted - 24/03/2011 : 16:31:30
Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike, the little critters were red and black. i thought mites to begin with but then was pursuaded by the rep stop i bought the mice from, that they could not be mites, and had to be fleas.

I have organised to have a feacal done with my local herp vet anyway, you are all probably right in the fact that it is unlikely to have caused anything, but i am anal like that, a total worrier lol

mikerichards Posted - 24/03/2011 : 10:16:39
Do you mean the mice had small yellowy creatures on them? they are not fleas, but are mites which are naturally found on mice and rats, they live in a symbiotic relationship. I wouldnt have thought either would have any impact on the snakes digestion.
lotabob Posted - 23/03/2011 : 19:31:25
Mmmm garnishing! I agree with GP, the stomach acid would have soon sorted out any swallowed ones but any that fell off could have reanimated and gone on a egg laying spree.

(Edit to cure verbal dysentery)
gingerpony Posted - 23/03/2011 : 16:56:49
hmmmm, freezing wouldn't have killed the fleas simply made them dormant...........but i doubt (if they are specifically household fleas) they'll have any health implications if ingested
i'd be more worried about a possible infestation of the enclosure or even your house! sorry!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000