Eaten fleas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  15:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, sorry that my first post in a while is a question. I hope everyone is well :)

I bought a batch of 10 mice a while back and have just seen what looks like fleas on one of them. she has already ate 5 out of the 10 and seemed to have problems passing stools the last 2 feeds which included mice from this batch, not sure if they also had fleas but i assume they did, so my question is do you think the fleas have had a negative effect on her internally?
If so, vet trip?

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  16:56:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hmmmm, freezing wouldn't have killed the fleas simply made them dormant...........but i doubt (if they are specifically household fleas) they'll have any health implications if ingested
i'd be more worried about a possible infestation of the enclosure or even your house! sorry!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  19:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmm garnishing! I agree with GP, the stomach acid would have soon sorted out any swallowed ones but any that fell off could have reanimated and gone on a egg laying spree.

(Edit to cure verbal dysentery)

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 23/03/2011 19:32:27
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  10:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you mean the mice had small yellowy creatures on them? they are not fleas, but are mites which are naturally found on mice and rats, they live in a symbiotic relationship. I wouldnt have thought either would have any impact on the snakes digestion.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  16:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike, the little critters were red and black. i thought mites to begin with but then was pursuaded by the rep stop i bought the mice from, that they could not be mites, and had to be fleas.

I have organised to have a feacal done with my local herp vet anyway, you are all probably right in the fact that it is unlikely to have caused anything, but i am anal like that, a total worrier lol

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  16:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big were they? Were the bigger ones red/orange and the smaller ones black. If so thats possibly tics. Flea's are black, I've never seen one anything other than black and about as big as a full stop on a page. I've never seen mites on anything other than a bumble bee and they were yellow.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  18:13:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
harvest mites are yellow/orange

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  20:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

harvest mites are yellow/orange

Then we have a winner.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  06:35:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
either way, the snake ingesting them should be no problem for the snake

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  19:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, sorry for late reply.

Thank you so much for the help, i phoned up my exotic rep vet, and she said exactly the same, nothing to worry about (so long as the mice were not treated for mites/fleas) i definately breathed yet another sigh of relief hehe.

Thank you again

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000