The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Hatchling death and questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IncurableFlirt Posted - 10/10/2010 : 20:48:35
I am very upset right now, so forgive me for any errors or anything. This morning when I went to check on my hatchlings, I found my older hatchling from Apopha's first clutch dead. I had fed her the night before, a small pinky. She had taken the pinky no problem and all seemed well. This morning, the pinky was halfway in her mouth (I think she tried to regurg it), but she was dead. I'm so upset, I don't know what happened or could have happened to cause this. I keep the babies in their own little tupperware container (drilled with tiny holes for air) and a water bottle cap filled with water, on paper towels. I kept them in a small rack that is heated on the back with Flexwatt controlled by a Zilla thermostat. When I checked temps, the back (where the tape is) was 82F, the front (which is the cool side) was 78F. I don't know what happened, or what caused her to regurgitate, but it looked as if she couldn't get the pinky out of her mouth. Could she have suffocated? Has anyone else ever had this problem? Should I be worried about my other hatchlings...they all were fine when I checked on them. Could this be some sort of genetic disorder that the others will get? I'm so upset, I don't know what to do. Any help or suggestions would be so gratefully appreciated.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 13/10/2010 : 05:28:08
Am so sorry that your hatchling died, I cant begin to imagine how upsetting it must be for you having cared from them from the point of conception to them hatching.

I think Eeji is right, sometimes nature takes its course and there is nothing you could have done about it....this hatchling just wasnt meant to live, harsh as that sounds.

I do hope your other hatchlings stay ok, at least they are eating which is a positive sign and they have managed to keep that food down.

Once again, sorry for your loss.

xxx
rachiepotatoe Posted - 12/10/2010 : 20:44:55
Sorry to hear thiss

All the best for the rest of the hatchies
eeji Posted - 11/10/2010 : 23:22:37
i've had the same thing happen to a few of mine earlier this year, its unfortunately 'just one of those things' - some are just not meant to make it :(
sly Posted - 11/10/2010 : 17:13:32
sorry for ya lose it is a horrible thing to go through when ya loose a pet at a young age
IncurableFlirt Posted - 11/10/2010 : 16:50:16
Thanks everyone. I still do not know what happened with her, though I have gotten lots of suggestions on other forums I am a member of. The one that makes the most sense is that maybe she had some sort of birth defect internally, and that it either ruptured or that the pinky caused it to finally harm her internally. I have been keeping a very close watch on all of the other babies and no one else that ate seems to be having any trouble. Just to be on the safe side with genetics and all, I plan not to breed Apopha and Adam in the future.
gingerpony Posted - 11/10/2010 : 10:21:52
did you actually see the pinkie going down initally and had it fed before?

your temps and set up sound fine hun, try not to panic about the others
sorry for your loss
FiestaSTLou Posted - 11/10/2010 : 09:56:26
so sorry for ur loss :( i hope u cant find some answers x
HannahB Posted - 10/10/2010 : 23:24:50
am so sorry rip little snakey
honestly i couldnt even begin to suggest a reason as to why its happened, gp might be able to help more but just keep an eye on the others over the next few days to make sure it wasnt a bad pinkie or something
kdlang Posted - 10/10/2010 : 21:35:26
So sorry to hear about the little one. Sorry I can't help

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000