The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Force feeding.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hillzi Posted - 09/07/2010 : 11:49:25
OK Mods if you think it belongs somewhere else then please put it ther but,

I know force feeding is known to be stressfull for the snake, do people have any proof/experience of this?

Reason I'm asking as I'm considering booking Blitz into being force fed at my local, having fasted from Mid March to now, and now the weight seems to be dropping off him.

I've considered live, but not found anyone with a medium mouse (as I've been trying smaller sizes) but I dont want to risk anything.

Another question - Anyone whose had a snake been force fed experience any mood swings? Blitz is quite a tempremental snake, and I've done a lot of work with him, getting him accustomd to me, I dont want this to go down the pan.

Cheers.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 18/07/2010 : 03:55:37
quote:
Originally posted by angelhope

Zelraf has eaten only 1 med mouse since the end of march ive done the stomach splitting thingbut he isnt interested,he has shed a couple of weeks ago and i thought he was back 2 his normal self but no stil looking 4 a girlie i think! . .zelraf looks identical 2 your corn. . So your not the only one with a v.stubborn snakey!

Both mine have only just started eating since being on a starvation diet since March Angelhope....and the amazing thing is that Kellog, who was a really lazy feeder, is not only striking but also coiling and constricting....a real change to his old feeding behaviour. I am sure it has to do with me now warming the mice and braining them, which is a habit I have got into when I was trying to tempt them to feed.

It is horrible when they arent eating, but it is a natural process and Zelraf will come out of it when he is ready....he may just need some tempting!

xxx
hillzi Posted - 16/07/2010 : 19:33:16
Mines feeding soon, thing I tried that I didnt normally do was hand feed, and use a smaller sized prey item.. might work! dont give up hope, I'm sure its just breeding behaviour.

Has he lost weight rapidly?
angelhope Posted - 16/07/2010 : 19:14:53
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Thanks all, put my mind at rest.

I will persist with other tactics for now, thanks guys.

Done the braining, tried different size mice but nah.

I am worrying slightly as he's gone a lot longer than most male corns of keepers whom I speak to, and theyr'e all feeding now.

But I do put it down to mating behaviour, as he hasn't got any diseases/ill health conditions.

Thanks all, I know pics dont really show alot, but I am slightly worried, if anyones near me, feel free to pop round and have a look at him at least.

cheers.

#8626;Zelraf has eaten only 1 med mouse since the end of march ive done the stomach splitting thingbut he isnt interested,he has shed a couple of weeks ago and i thought he was back 2 his normal self but no stil looking 4 a girlie i think! . .zelraf looks identical 2 your corn. . So your not the only one with a v.stubborn snakey!
matty18714 Posted - 12/07/2010 : 10:26:56
I agree, I wouldnt try anything but a normal mouse at this stage.
mikerichards Posted - 12/07/2010 : 08:22:24
Seriously, don't do anything, he's obviously a feeder, he didn't get that big on thin air, so once he is ready to eat, he will eat. At the size he's at, I would try feeding every 14 days, its not gonna do him any harm, don't bother trying to force him to eat, its gonna be hassle for you and stressful for him.
hiper2009 Posted - 11/07/2010 : 21:23:43
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

I've heard of using tuna brine before, but hot dog brine is a new one.

Lol never heard of using hot dog brine either i will have to try that out one day
DannyBrown91 Posted - 11/07/2010 : 19:58:05
I've heard of using tuna brine before, but hot dog brine is a new one.
Sta~ple Posted - 11/07/2010 : 18:56:59
You, sorry! lol although I am now quite interested to see how candy makes non feeders eat as well at the mention of hotdogs.

Have you tried that stomach slitting thing?
hillzi Posted - 11/07/2010 : 16:10:22
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

What ways have you tried to make him eat?

Who is this question directed at? Me or Candy? Got confused as you quoted her..
Sta~ple Posted - 11/07/2010 : 12:46:01
quote:
Originally posted by candyazz

have you tried scenting the mice normally chick bllod drives them crazy also u could try the brine from hot dogs and lots of other stuff

Isn't the brine from hotdogs just like salt water? I have never heard hat one before but it sounds like fun.

What ways have you tried to make him eat?
hillzi Posted - 11/07/2010 : 12:33:10
Ah right ok, mouse or rat fluff?
mikerichards Posted - 11/07/2010 : 11:47:20
To be honest, i wouldnt bother with chicks at all, they are a funny food which the snakes really like, and sometimes can have issues going back onto rats or mice, so i would avoid if possible. To be fair, once he is hungry, he will feed, or whatever is causing him not to feed, will pass.
Hes not underweight, hes not skinny, so i really wouldnt worry about it, just keep attempting a feed each week, use a fluff or something like that so its not so expensive to waste a mouse, and once he takes it, you can then go back to the larger food.
hillzi Posted - 11/07/2010 : 10:49:27
Not tried scenting actually, I've gone to the excess of wiping mouse blood all over his viv, tried braining too but no donut.

I will be getting some more bits tomorrow, will see if the local's got any chicks or rats in.
candyazz Posted - 11/07/2010 : 00:59:27
have you tried scenting the mice normally chick bllod drives them crazy also u could try the brine from hot dogs and lots of other stuff
matty18714 Posted - 09/07/2010 : 21:59:58
You can still force feed a snake a whole prey item, but its a lot harder and more akward, and gets harder the bigger prey item you use.
eeji Posted - 09/07/2010 : 21:13:26
thats assisted feeding, where you help the snake do its thing - force feeding is when you literally force the snake to eat something, ie. straight down its gut so it has no choice. liquidised mouse through a tube makes the process a whole lot easier
hillzi Posted - 09/07/2010 : 21:08:30
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

force feeding is definetly stressful - would you enjoy having a tube put down your throat and food squirted through it? (beer maybe, squished mouse no! )

haha.. beer yeah.

I thought they basically opened the snakes mouth and forced the mouse down his throat? didnt realise it was through a tube??
eeji Posted - 09/07/2010 : 19:04:49
force feeding is definetly stressful - would you enjoy having a tube put down your throat and food squirted through it? (beer maybe, squished mouse no! )
hillzi Posted - 09/07/2010 : 18:50:11
Thanks all, put my mind at rest.

I will persist with other tactics for now, thanks guys.

Done the braining, tried different size mice but nah.

I am worrying slightly as he's gone a lot longer than most male corns of keepers whom I speak to, and theyr'e all feeding now.

But I do put it down to mating behaviour, as he hasn't got any diseases/ill health conditions.

Thanks all, I know pics dont really show alot, but I am slightly worried, if anyones near me, feel free to pop round and have a look at him at least.

cheers.
HannahB Posted - 09/07/2010 : 17:52:20
im still force/assist feeding aura and although she puts up a massive fight at the start once its halfway in her mouth and i leave her to do the rest she calms right down.. if it wasnt for the fact that shes still too small to survive on her own i wouldnt put her through it, its something i wouldnt willingly do to another snake of mine

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000