The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Swollen throat after feeding. Normal?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 29/06/2010 : 08:07:55
Hi everyone.
I have 2 corn snakes that are about 7 years. I took them from a friend of my sisters as he was going overseas.

3 days ago I fed them both a large rat each.

Monte the smaller one who is about 4 1/2 feet long and with a head width of my middle finger took a while to eat her rat. It was the biggest rat she has eaten since being in my care. Her old owner told me that they both ate large rats every time.

It took her about 45 minutes to get it down. When she had finished she didn't look right. One side of her jaw wasn't closing properly.

The next day her jaw was ok but it looks like her throat is swollen. It has gone down a little bit over the last day but still doesn't look normal.

Has this happened to anyone elses corn snake before?

I saw her yawn and the inside of her mouth looks ok-no cuts or bleeding.

When she breathes her neck swells up similar to a bull frog when it inflates its air sack in its neck. I have never noticed it before and Checkers (her sister) doesnt have this swollen neck.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 21/05/2011 : 14:34:33
gah, just noticed this thread is nearly a year old!
BethR Posted - 20/05/2011 : 20:08:19
I work voluntarily in a vet practice for coming up to 5 years and want to be a vet, so of course I understand how important it is to take her to a vet and nip this in the bud as soon as possible, however being an unemployed 17 year old in full time education it wouldn't be ideal to take her to a vets when I've heard of a harmless condition that occurs in corns during the shedding period..
Just wanting to find out what other people's experiences have been before I make any hasty decisions, like using money I don't have on getting her checked for no reason so I can't look after her and my newly hatched baby snakes as well as I have been doing, as well as being in the middle of A level exams..! If anyone has any ideas about her condition, and not pointing out what I know seems like a careless ownership (and badly phrased question, sorry) please let me know!
eeji Posted - 19/05/2011 : 18:22:32
quote:
Originally posted by BethR

My corn snake has exactly the same problem! The photo is identical! It has happened a couple of times and then gone down, just come up AGAIN but when i touched it gently to see if it was hard or soft or anything, it went down again.. Did the antibiotics work? Should I take her to a vet? I ask because she isn't insured, and I'm not sure I want to have to pay for a consult and medication when it doesn't seem to be causing her any problems, and it goes away regularly! It does also coincide with going into shed, could it be fluid collection/retention? I've read about this happening before a shed..
Thanks in advance!

unfortunately that is one of the joys of being responsible for an animals health and wellbeing.
BethR Posted - 19/05/2011 : 18:03:41
My corn snake has exactly the same problem! The photo is identical! It has happened a couple of times and then gone down, just come up AGAIN but when i touched it gently to see if it was hard or soft or anything, it went down again.. Did the antibiotics work? Should I take her to a vet? I ask because she isn't insured, and I'm not sure I want to have to pay for a consult and medication when it doesn't seem to be causing her any problems, and it goes away regularly! It does also coincide with going into shed, could it be fluid collection/retention? I've read about this happening before a shed..
Thanks in advance!
Kellog Posted - 09/07/2010 : 13:06:55
So glad she is doing so well....and congratulations to you and your OH for continuing to give her the injections and to care so much as to fight for her, so many owners would have just given up and not cared.

I am really glad that she has you for an owner (even if you arent supposed to own her !).

xxx
n/a Posted - 08/07/2010 : 08:17:45
Kellog- You are probably right with your guess!!

3 injections later and she is doing fantastic!!! Back to normal. She doesn't like getting needles though!!!
Kellog Posted - 06/07/2010 : 06:29:03
I think I have worked out which country you are from OPP, although I wont say as you are understandably wary about publicising where you are. Am I right in saying that you are only allowed to keep snakes that are native to your country but bred in captivity as pets? And as corns are not native therefore they are illegal?

xxx
n/a Posted - 02/07/2010 : 10:47:13
I had to find a vet that was happy to look at her. The first vet wouldn't see her because she is an illegal snake. i thought that vets first priority would be to care for sick animals not police their existence. There are pretty big fines where I live to keep these snakes. Up to $10 000. :-O The vet said that if she found out I was breeding them she would dob me in herself!!

My girlfriend is actually a nurse so she was more than happy to inject her. It was hard for her to do the first one. The skin is tough!!! we need to hold her while we inject her in case she strikes but even after injecting she wasn't angry. She is very human friendly!!

Monte was really cold too. 18 degrees celcius. Poor thing. So I have upped the temperature and moved their hides to the warm end of the tank. Where should I post pics of their tank. I want to show off my handywork!!!

The vet wasn't 100% sure what caused it. She didn't think that it was the large mouse. She said tha infection was possibly there already and it was triggered by eating. She didn't think it was caused by a scratch from the mouse claw or teeth. I think the word she used was an odema (sic).

I'm in a southern hemisphere country, thats all I will say. Even though these snakes are illegal after I inherited them it turns out that quite a few people i know know of someone who have them!!!

hillzi Posted - 01/07/2010 : 12:06:48
Good one you mate,

I'd say, Canada?

They don't allow keeping of colubrids as they could escape and start colonies in the wild for example.

Mouse Posted - 01/07/2010 : 08:36:55
Good to know she'll be ok!

And you can tell US what country you're from, as we very much approve! XD
Kellog Posted - 01/07/2010 : 04:55:33
I am so glad you took her to a vet and that the vet seemed to know what he/she was talking about. I am also intrigued as to what country you are in, especially as you obviously have a vet that is happy to treat corns....I would hate to live somewhere that judges me that way, but unfortunately I know it happens all to often. Mike is right though, you are totally protected on this site so please dont be worried about that.

I do hope that the injections clear up her infection. I am the same as Sta~ple, I wonder how she got the infection. It would be good to know in case it is something you can stop from happening again. Did the vet show you how to do the injections yourself? Are you happy doing them and do you have help to hold Monte still while you give them to her? I would hate to do that to my snakes but know that I would as I would do whatever is necessary to keep them healthy.

I do hope you will keep us updated on how she is doing.

xxx
crazy JJ Posted - 30/06/2010 : 15:52:06
glad to know she will be fine :D
Sta~ple Posted - 30/06/2010 : 14:24:14
That's good then! Did he say how this may have happened?
mikerichards Posted - 30/06/2010 : 13:53:28
Good news, I am intrigued as to why the country you are from does not approve of cornsnakes, or is it snakes in general? I don't think there is any worry about posting it on here, you are anonymous by your username anyway!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 30/06/2010 : 13:28:44
Glad to hear that she is going to be ok.
hiper2009 Posted - 30/06/2010 : 13:11:12
Great to hear that.
CoN Posted - 30/06/2010 : 11:56:15
Glad to hear that OPP.
n/a Posted - 30/06/2010 : 11:29:14
Hillzi- I'm from a country that doesn't approve of corn snakes so I would rather not say.

I took her to the vet and she has some sort of infection the vet thinks.
She had fluid in her mouth in the skin surrounding her tongue. She had an anti inflammatory injection and the vet gave me 4 antibiotic injections to give her over the next two weeks.

:) I'm so happy I know that it wasn't serious and she is going to be ok!!
hillzi Posted - 30/06/2010 : 10:30:11
What country are you from?
n/a Posted - 30/06/2010 : 08:15:36
Its been 4 days since she ate and I'm getting worried.
I lifted up the water bowl she usually hides under and she didn't look too happy.
Trying to find a vet that deals with exotics and take her there.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000