The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Morphs
 Is my corn a hypo?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 19/03/2010 : 13:35:17
Hi, ive had this corn for 12 years now and i bred him this year.
I think he could be a hypo but not sure, but he has the thin black borders and bronze belly checkers.
Anyone any ideas?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 25/03/2010 : 19:04:32
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

That's supposedly a hypo belly, the only difference I can tell is that on the white areas of the belly have more orange squares in hypos while normals have more black. It looks like it's the same kinda for the teeth like markings on the mouths too.

thats definetly a hypo, because he used to be my snake
n/a Posted - 24/03/2010 : 23:20:25
Thanks guys. It sounds like, what i call 'the classics' as in normals, amels and im guessing anerys possibly, may have been around back then.
Im basically just wondering what to breed him with first, process of elimination and breeding him with something that he has more chance of holding hets of if he come from a mixed litter,
Prob breed him with a hypo to test that theory and kill 2 birds with one stone and breed him with a snow corn.
Sounds like best bet from what everyone is saying.
Sta~ple Posted - 24/03/2010 : 23:04:51
I saw Carolina, Pure white corns with pink eyes (Blizzard I'm guessing) and some very bright orange corns, I would guess Amel at my petshop 9 years ago.

http://www.cornsnakemorphgallery.com/hypomelanistic/ Some of the hypos on there look quite dark, one of them is darker than my normal too. One of the babies on there also look like one of my hatchlings. I'm guessing in some cases it is very hard to tell without looking at the parents or offspring. Or maybe someone got the morphs of their corn wrong XD

That's supposedly a hypo belly, the only difference I can tell is that on the white areas of the belly have more orange squares in hypos while normals have more black. It looks like it's the same kinda for the teeth like markings on the mouths too.
mikerichards Posted - 24/03/2010 : 21:15:05
20 years ago i had a motley, possibly amel, but i would have to see if i can dig out any old photos, another of mine was possibly a great plains.
The only normals i have seen with that belly patterns are hypos and het bloodreds.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 24/03/2010 : 15:45:03
Back then the most common would have been carolina but i would have thought you'd have been able to get Amels, Aneries and other single trait morphs especially the ones that are fairly cheap now, but then again i could be completely wrong after all 12 years ago i was only 7.
n/a Posted - 24/03/2010 : 12:43:17
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Looks normal to me from that pic.

Hypo would have been relatively rare 12 years ago compared to nowadays.

You say hypo would have been rare 12 year ago which i figured would be said but just a quick history lesson and out of interest, what kind of morphs would have been around then that were a lot more common then hypos?
n/a Posted - 24/03/2010 : 11:09:21
lol i thought it was normal for a normals colour to wash onto the belly to like sta~ple maizy has that colouring
Sta~ple Posted - 24/03/2010 : 09:33:54
One of my snake's has a belly pretty much identical to that one and he's normal if that helps, his black checks on the white area are a bit darker though.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 23/03/2010 : 22:39:27
I've never seen a corn where the colour goes onto the belly like that.

The most i've seen is black and red specs on my bloodreds belly, which i believe can be seen on all bloodreds.
eeji Posted - 23/03/2010 : 22:25:54
she's just a normal normal
mikerichards Posted - 23/03/2010 : 20:30:44
Het bloodred??
eeji Posted - 23/03/2010 : 19:46:28
this is a definate normal, and proven not het hypo:

she doesn't have solid chequers, and also has very thin borders.

hypo also reduces the general blackness and not just the borders, so hypos generally (not always though ) don't have the 'dirty' look.
mikerichards Posted - 23/03/2010 : 08:51:06
The pic says it, I am 100% certain he is hypo. Yes normals vary, but the hypo gene causes the thin to non existant black borders and washes out the belly checkers like that. I have never seen a normal with washed out belly checkers, other than hypo.
Blackecho Posted - 23/03/2010 : 07:05:12
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

If you dont know if he is hypo (which he is) how are you gonna know if the babies are hypo? the way to tell is the same!
Put it this way, if he is normal, he will have complete black belly checkers.
If he is hypo, he will have a bit of black and faded orange belly checkers.
Why dont you post a pic of his belly!?

how can you be so sure, unless you know what the parents are and you've seen 'normal' siblings to compare to?
Not all normals have completely black chequers, it can vary hugely.

IMO I think its definetly easier to see in hatchlings which are normal and which are hypo, most noticable after the first shed

Agreed, Normals have such a huge natural variation, it doesn't mean they are genetically different.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 22/03/2010 : 21:49:06
They are washed out a bit, but i would still say normal Carolina. I would expect them to be more washed out if it were a hypo.

That said i am no expert.
n/a Posted - 22/03/2010 : 21:21:54
quote:

If you dont know if he is hypo (which he is) how are you gonna know if the babies are hypo? the way to tell is the same!

Here is pic of his belly.
eeji Posted - 22/03/2010 : 20:59:48
quote:

how can you be so sure, unless you know what the parents are and you've seen 'normal' siblings to compare to?
Not all normals have completely black chequers, it can vary hugely.

IMO I think its definetly easier to see in hatchlings which are normal and which are hypo, most noticable after the first shed
n/a Posted - 22/03/2010 : 20:46:56
quote:

Arn,t the babies suppose to be more redder then normal corns?
Ive no experience with hypos but ive got the charles pritzel morph guide and says belly checkers arnt always definate indicator but colour of babies is easier to tell than adults.
Im not sayin its not a hypo but main reason i was asking to start with was because of his age.
Whats best way to test for it you know?
I will try and get pic of belly on soon, need to take pic first.
mikerichards Posted - 22/03/2010 : 19:55:49
eeji Posted - 22/03/2010 : 18:25:09
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

His belly checkers are not completely black, only the edges. Suppose there one way to test it out, ive got a female crimson which will be ready to breed next spring and seen as they have hypo gene i should get some hypos if he is.
Thanks for all the help

thats the only sure fire way to know :D

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000