The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Morphs
 Just me wondering at 4am lol

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AcidicAngel Posted - 01/03/2013 : 04:06:20
Just had Cereus out for a cuddle and I remembered that Butter is supposed to be a Caramel x Amel. See this sort of makes sense but not completely. If they were a Caramel x Amel then surely they'd carry some red in them rather than yellow and white? I was originally told that Butter's were made up of 3 genes - Amel, Snow and Caramel. I personally think they look more like Caramel x Snow
Just me randomly pondering at gone 4am on a Friday morning lol.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 04/03/2013 : 19:19:27
i did read, and it is still opinion no matter the background of the person until there is some scientific back up and evidence. Yes I agree that these people are vastly experienced and there maybe is something in what they are saying.

I think the bottom line is because there hasn't been the intense study required things are still open to different interpretations simply because there is so much still to learn.
Dancross0 Posted - 04/03/2013 : 16:24:48
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

you cannot base something on the opinion of two people, one of which is a forum post in what seems a light hearted ranting thread.

Been looking at this again, and it seems you didn't look at the link, so carrying on...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13577&highlight=ultra+mystery&page=22

Reply no. 214

I'm more inclined to view Bill and Kathy Loves', Dr Bechtel (who bred the 1st amels in captivity, kickstarting the whole corn morphs...), and Rich Zuchowski's opinions.
Dancross0 Posted - 03/03/2013 : 23:22:37
quote:

if the yellow is caused by food sources, then the way a gene behaves should have no effect because the yellow colouring wouldn't be genetic?

Depends on how the gene effects the arrangement of the colour pigments. The yellow may be masked, or the genetic defects that causes the lack of reds and yellows somehow uses them. I don't know how it works, but it makes sense to me...

AcidicAngel Posted - 03/03/2013 : 22:54:09
So, wait... I'm confused... XD Does anyone else think that a Butter looks more like Caramel x Snow than Caramel x Amel even if it's proven that it's Caramel x Amel?
eeji Posted - 03/03/2013 : 22:25:10
if the yellow is caused by food sources, then the way a gene behaves should have no effect because the yellow colouring wouldn't be genetic?
Dancross0 Posted - 03/03/2013 : 21:58:05
Well, the yellow pigments are still funtioning in most other morphs, and in the case of charcoals and lavenders, the way the stored pigments are masked by the way the gene expresses itself.

Charcoals can still show yellow, and with it being a seperate gene from anery, it may affect the pigment productions in a slightly different way that maskes the yellow.

The way anerys develop yellow colouring as they age certainly gives a build up of carotenoids from food a strong reason for the yellow.

Anyways, I think that we may have to agree to dissagree about this. It's livened a slightly hungover sunday evening...
eeji Posted - 03/03/2013 : 21:41:07
you cannot base something on the opinion of two people, one of which is a forum post in what seems a light hearted ranting thread.

If anery removes yellow, then can you explain my snow? (she's proven not het or homo caramel btw)......

also, this....
quote:
Page 162 + 163 "No other colour is evident except traces of yellow on the lower throat, chin, and labial (lips) areas, and these traces may be formed by the seperate accumulation of carotenoids (red and yellow pigments often contained in natural foods)."

...could also apply to every other morph, and indeed the natural colour of the cornsnake if they think yellow is formed from purely food sources in anery.
Charcoal also removes red, charcoals eat the same mice as anerys, yet the vast majority have very little yellow, the same can be said for lavender too.

Dancross0 Posted - 03/03/2013 : 02:50:30
quote:

anery doesn't remove yellow, just red.

I think this is wrong, and here is why...

Reply no. 208

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13577&highlight=ultra+mystery&page=21

And this is also mentioned on page 162 of 'Corn Snakes; The comprehensive owner's guide' (Kathy and Bill Love) under the colour mutations section for anery.

"...a corn with type A anerythrism possesses a recessive genetic defect that leaves it unable to form red and most yellow pigments..."

Page 162 + 163 "No other colour is evident except traces of yellow on the lower throat, chin, and labial (lips) areas, and these traces may be formed by the seperate accumulation of carotenoids (red and yellow pigments often contained in natural foods)."

eeji Posted - 02/03/2013 : 22:47:17
anery doesn't remove yellow, just red.
AcidicAngel Posted - 01/03/2013 : 16:37:19
Wow... This is actually all very interesting. I want to try and learn a bit more about corn snake genetics because I've been wondering about things a lot lately and if I bred my 2. I've been looking at their markings, Sakana has some "V" shapes down her back and loads of odd and weird markings on her neck. Cereus has crosses down his neck and some really funky markings down his back. I've been wondering if they could possibly produce some "Aztecs" with how weird their markings are?
smart bunny Posted - 01/03/2013 : 16:35:06
Ahhhh that does make a lot more sense now, thanks :) I had wondered about needing another category for 'no yellow' lol!
Dancross0 Posted - 01/03/2013 : 14:36:14
Charcoal based morphs have less noticeable yellow build up in them, must be something to do with now charcoal expresses itself...

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/charcoal/?sid=

As described on Ians Viv - "sometimes lacking the yellow colouring."

I could point out that due to when the term anerythristic (lacking red) was coined, caramel wasn't understood. But true anerythristic corns would be caramels, and what we call anerythristic snakes should be called axanthic. But that would call for a massive renaming of a lot of stuff...
smart bunny Posted - 01/03/2013 : 10:38:36
Anery removes the red and yellow pigments (the yellow on anerys faces and neck is a build up of carotenoids from their food).

Really, didn't know that... so that would account for the yellow on snows too - but if that were the case, how come whiteouts/blizzards stay white???
AcidicAngel Posted - 01/03/2013 : 10:36:20
Aye it is lol. And Ah OK, forgot about Caramel removing red lol.
Jayclk Posted - 01/03/2013 : 06:08:40
damn that's complicated for this time of the morning lol
Dancross0 Posted - 01/03/2013 : 06:06:43
Amel removes the black pigment, and caramel removes the red. Anery removes the red and yellow pigments (the yellow on anerys faces and neck is a build up of carotenoids from their food).

A snake with anery, caramel and amel is called a Xanthic snow, which means yellow snow. Wonder why they didn't call it that...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000