The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Morphs
 What's this? (Bit of a challenge)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
NexivRed Posted - 20/02/2013 : 20:55:56
Okay so I'm looking at a hatchling at the moment which I kind of like. I asked for pics of the parents which the seller emailed me over, however they're just head shots. I would put money on mum being a hypo but I have no clue about dad! His eye colour has really thrown me and I'm wondering if maybe a hybrid? They look olivey green and he looks rather anery-ish. Could this be an adult ultramel anery?

What do you think..

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 22/02/2013 : 20:22:48
pinstripe motleys are a possibility, and the most likely explanation of 'stripe' babies.
smart bunny Posted - 22/02/2013 : 12:07:16
Corno is getting lighter and pinker all the time and is only 18 months, I could quite accept she may go as pale as him given a few more months as they look quite similar already. She is anery, and was quite dark as a hatchling but had a ghost father so maybe it's normal for an anery het hypo to be a little lighter? I did wonder at one point if she was a ghost, but she was so dark as a hatchy and has nice black belly markings, so surely she can't be? Lol!

Pics of corno for comparison:

Isoldael Posted - 22/02/2013 : 11:06:09
Yes, or one of them could have been het stripe as the offspring could also look like motleys :)
NexivRed Posted - 21/02/2013 : 20:11:48
Thanks for the clarification, Eejit :) I reckon they've had maybe pinstripe motleys? They're both definitely het for motley as the motley babies of this clutch are plan as day. And it's an interesting point about the dad maybe just being Anery.

So they have:

Male Anery het amel, motley and hypo
Female Hypo het amel, anery motley
eeji Posted - 21/02/2013 : 19:10:16
IF there were normals or anerys in the clutch i have a suspicion its all the other way around, and mum is hypo and dad is a pale anery.

It is impossible for this pair to produce motley AND stripe because they are normally patterned. This means each can only pass down motley OR stripe. Two motleys = motley, two stripes = stripe, one of each = motley.
NexivRed Posted - 20/02/2013 : 23:30:23
Okay so she's a normal then. Starting to make more sense, although he emails me back to talk about previous clutches from these two and how he normally has more colours. He's had amels and stripes! Now, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I thought if corns carried both motley and stripe then you'd never get visual stripes, is that right? And the most recent clutch has motleys in it.

So confusing, but at the same time sort of fun :)
paulie78 Posted - 20/02/2013 : 23:17:47
Some ventral shots of my lot Top left Diffused Top Right Motley Middle Hypo Bottom Normal hope that helps as you can see my hypo has literally no black on his belly

Moppet Posted - 20/02/2013 : 23:13:58
I'm gonna guess ghost and (very pretty) normal Although in that last belly shot, the 'ghost' looks SO similar to my Apollo who is an anery (not in the first pics though, trick of the light perhaps?)
paulie78 Posted - 20/02/2013 : 23:03:50
if there were anerys in the clutch and mum and dad were het hypo then there woulda been ghost hathchlings in the clutch mum doesnt look hypo to me just a nice normal my male hypos ventral are totally lacking in black pigment
NexivRed Posted - 20/02/2013 : 22:45:50
The plot thickens... can this be a normal with this belly? Or is it a hypo? And if it's a hypo and the dad is a ghost, how did they get normals and aneries?

Mum's belly

Dad's belly

NexivRed Posted - 20/02/2013 : 22:15:31
I think you may be right which makes mum het anery and hypo if they did indeed produce hypos.
Georgina Posted - 20/02/2013 : 21:47:46
Normal and ghost for me x
NexivRed Posted - 20/02/2013 : 21:43:55
Actually, expecting mum to not be hypo as there were aneries in the clutch.
NexivRed Posted - 20/02/2013 : 21:17:48
I think you may be right. Got two new pics..

Dad again

Mum

Both taken under a more reddish light source

Asked for description of bellies to see if mum really is hypo, but the clutch have clear normals and then much much paler with no black on.
Figs Posted - 20/02/2013 : 21:08:45
I'd say maybe ghost - especially if he popped out a hypo baby
paulie78 Posted - 20/02/2013 : 21:07:22
Hmm id say looks like a ghost to me

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000