The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Morphs
 hi nu 2 forum

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kat99 Posted - 20/03/2012 : 11:51:26
i have a year old snowy corn snake i have 2 use a glove 2 get her out as she tries 2 strike me when i ge ther out but my q is how do i stop one of my cats trying 2 play with her when i get her ive tried getting my snake pearl out at different times but cat is always there ands its making pearl nervous when i get her out
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mamma Posted - 19/04/2012 : 18:17:45
welcome to the forum. I use a spray bottle on our cats. Its not harsh. Doesnt harm them in any way and keeps them away from the snakes. Now they know when Im having snake time, if the insane one manages to get the livingroom door open (it has happened she is infact crazy haha) and they see the spray bottle by my side they leave the room again.
343guiltyspark Posted - 19/04/2012 : 18:11:46
Put a couple of cat treats in a pile (dreamies are good)away from where you are holding her. If you have any children or live with someone just ask them to play with the cat whilst you hold pearl. When I bring Voldemort down the stairs my cats don't like him. I usually keep him in my room though. He likes my horsey bedcovers!
ScalySituation Posted - 07/04/2012 : 05:41:05
I eaither shut Angus out, (so he's on the landing) or in, if i've got sonny out in a room other than my bedroom
kev 5 Posted - 06/04/2012 : 22:20:22
welcome to the forum
claire_daz Posted - 23/03/2012 : 07:37:40
i have let my old dog take a sniff of our snake but she just wants to wash pop's
lol pop's was not inpressed
i know that sizzled has already been "eaten once" by prev-owners cats so i've never tried with her just incase she fancies taking a bite out of my dog
QueenVic Posted - 21/03/2012 : 16:46:35
a spray bottle is a little harsh lol, just shut the door.. or dont get the snake out when the cat is there.

You wouldn't be able to forgive the cat if it killed your snake. Not worth the risk in my opinion!

I trust my dog 100% but I still don't let her near them, just in case... *shudders* it's a horrible thought...
kat99 Posted - 21/03/2012 : 12:00:38
thanks for that never thought f a spray bottle will try that one might be better than shutting her in the bathroom n i already have a water for my pinked toed spider :)
nickyff Posted - 21/03/2012 : 00:49:17
my cat gets booted outside if she so much as looks at a snake funny. she's got the idea now, she still Watches with intense concentration, but keeps her distance. (cos she prefers being indoors!)

cats can learn
kdlang Posted - 20/03/2012 : 22:02:40
Have a squirty bottle of water to hand when you have the snake out. If the cat gets too close, squirt her with water. She will soon get the idea
kat99 Posted - 20/03/2012 : 18:57:05
thanks guys for advice will try n put her in the bathroom for 10 mins when i get pearl out
Georgina Posted - 20/03/2012 : 18:54:50
try feeding the cat just beofre you handle so then the cat is more bothered by the food. if not lock the cat in a box. mine know better than to go near the snakes even hero whos only 7 inches long.
eeji Posted - 20/03/2012 : 18:45:42
if u get a basket (1 of those travel 1's) 4 ur cat u can put it in that when u have ur snake out if u don't have another room to put the cat in or train ur cat not 2 go 4 the snake can u train cats? i don't no! :)
manda88 Posted - 20/03/2012 : 15:58:39
I don't know what a bed sit is but surely it can just be shut in a bathroom for 10 minutes with some toys to keep it occupied?
Auld Baldy Posted - 20/03/2012 : 15:09:44
The cat is probably stressing out the snake big time. Until you can do something like putting the cat in a carry box or something similar while you are handling the snake then you are going to have problems with striking.

A cat wanting to 'play' is seen as a predator to the snake and it is just re-acting in the only way it can.
kat99 Posted - 20/03/2012 : 11:58:13
i cant shut my cat out of room as i live in a bed sit n she donest go out mutch as the kids around scare around my cat but i have 3 other cats n they leave pearl alone it just the one cat
Simmy_82 Posted - 20/03/2012 : 11:55:02
I throw my cat out the room when i get mine out. Keep her shut until i finish handling her.

Welcome to the forum.
manda88 Posted - 20/03/2012 : 11:53:56
Hi and welcome to the forum! Can't you just shut your cat out of the room when you get the snake out?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000