New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kat99
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  11:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a year old snowy corn snake i have 2 use a glove 2 get her out as she tries 2 strike me when i ge ther out but my q is how do i stop one of my cats trying 2 play with her when i get her ive tried getting my snake pearl out at different times but cat is always there ands its making pearl nervous when i get her out

kat99

manda88
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1002 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  11:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum! Can't you just shut your cat out of the room when you get the snake out?

Wanna know what animals I keep? Check out www.facebook.com/mnmreptiles :)

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  11:55:02  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I throw my cat out the room when i get mine out. Keep her shut until i finish handling her.

Welcome to the forum.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

kat99
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  11:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i cant shut my cat out of room as i live in a bed sit n she donest go out mutch as the kids around scare around my cat but i have 3 other cats n they leave pearl alone it just the one cat

kat99
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  15:09:44  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The cat is probably stressing out the snake big time. Until you can do something like putting the cat in a carry box or something similar while you are handling the snake then you are going to have problems with striking.

A cat wanting to 'play' is seen as a predator to the snake and it is just re-acting in the only way it can.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

manda88
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1002 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  15:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what a bed sit is but surely it can just be shut in a bathroom for 10 minutes with some toys to keep it occupied?

Wanna know what animals I keep? Check out www.facebook.com/mnmreptiles :)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  18:45:42  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if u get a basket (1 of those travel 1's) 4 ur cat u can put it in that when u have ur snake out if u don't have another room to put the cat in or train ur cat not 2 go 4 the snake can u train cats? i don't no! :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  18:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try feeding the cat just beofre you handle so then the cat is more bothered by the food. if not lock the cat in a box. mine know better than to go near the snakes even hero whos only 7 inches long.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

kat99
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  18:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys for advice will try n put her in the bathroom for 10 mins when i get pearl out

kat99
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  22:02:40  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have a squirty bottle of water to hand when you have the snake out. If the cat gets too close, squirt her with water. She will soon get the idea

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  00:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my cat gets booted outside if she so much as looks at a snake funny. she's got the idea now, she still Watches with intense concentration, but keeps her distance. (cos she prefers being indoors!)

cats can learn

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

kat99
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  12:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for that never thought f a spray bottle will try that one might be better than shutting her in the bathroom n i already have a water for my pinked toed spider :)

kat99
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  16:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a spray bottle is a little harsh lol, just shut the door.. or dont get the snake out when the cat is there.

You wouldn't be able to forgive the cat if it killed your snake. Not worth the risk in my opinion!

I trust my dog 100% but I still don't let her near them, just in case... *shudders* it's a horrible thought...

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  07:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have let my old dog take a sniff of our snake but she just wants to wash pop's
lol pop's was not inpressed
i know that sizzled has already been "eaten once" by prev-owners cats so i've never tried with her just incase she fancies taking a bite out of my dog
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  22:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  05:41:05  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I eaither shut Angus out, (so he's on the landing) or in, if i've got sonny out in a room other than my bedroom

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

343guiltyspark
Hatchling

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  18:11:46  Show Profile  Visit 343guiltyspark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Put a couple of cat treats in a pile (dreamies are good)away from where you are holding her. If you have any children or live with someone just ask them to play with the cat whilst you hold pearl. When I bring Voldemort down the stairs my cats don't like him. I usually keep him in my room though. He likes my horsey bedcovers!

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  18:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum. I use a spray bottle on our cats. Its not harsh. Doesnt harm them in any way and keeps them away from the snakes. Now they know when Im having snake time, if the insane one manages to get the livingroom door open (it has happened she is infact crazy haha) and they see the spray bottle by my side they leave the room again.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/

Edited by - Mamma on 19/04/2012 18:18:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000