The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptile Photos
 Massive Boa!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikerichards Posted - 15/05/2010 : 21:08:45
This little lady arrived today, Female Suriname Red Tail BCC, i cant even begin to guess her weight, but in the region of 3 - 4 stone, shes massive and really heavy!
Shes about 9 foot long, and very very well built!

The smaller one in the pic is 7 foot, and 2 stone! she is dwarfed!

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 17/05/2010 : 23:38:45
No worries lee, not a drama!
She is great, she likes her head being stroked, stays there until you stop! She does have a big head, its nearly the size of my hand!
I really really really dont want a tag off her, it would be most uncomfortable!
Sta~ple Posted - 17/05/2010 : 23:11:19
I still can't believe how big her head is! I know this might sound a silly question but do they actually let you stroke/ go anywhere near there heads? Please take more pictures when she has settled in!
lee2308 Posted - 17/05/2010 : 22:33:42
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

No worries, those pics are available on google, or they were anyway!

i know but they did say they were copyrighted at the bottom,better safe than sorry,
mikerichards Posted - 17/05/2010 : 21:30:12
No worries, those pics are available on google, or they were anyway!

lee2308 Posted - 17/05/2010 : 20:58:52
just realised mike that i romove your pics from the first post too,put the links up again and i will re enter them
lee2308 Posted - 17/05/2010 : 20:55:41
sorry mike,had to remove you last post due to it being copyrighted,if you had permision feel free to repost it.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 17/05/2010 : 11:25:16
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

@ Sta~ple: if you have a little look on this page you will see why the BCC's are known as the true red tail species. http://www.jnb-boas.co.uk/page6.htm

It also lists all the different boa species, i think there is about 8 or 9

There are many many more than 8 or 9 boa species. Your talking about localities.

Nope i weren't, I was talking about Boa Constrictor sub species, IE Constrictor constrictor, constrictor imperator etc. etc. I should have worded it better really, sorry for the confusion.

I know there are much more boa species.

Edit: I just counted the constrictor sub species and i was off anyway, there are 18 with another possible one.
matty18714 Posted - 17/05/2010 : 08:52:27
quote:

@ Sta~ple: if you have a little look on this page you will see why the BCC's are known as the true red tail species. http://www.jnb-boas.co.uk/page6.htm

There are many many more than 8 or 9 boa species. Your talking about localities.
lee2308 Posted - 17/05/2010 : 00:26:38
even the rosys are constrictors by nature but not called it
Sta~ple Posted - 16/05/2010 : 23:39:28
quote:

I don't think all boas are called constrictors i think the constrictor is a sub species, not completely sure though.

That's what I was confused about :s

quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

yeah the differance is about 5

Never thought of it that way XD I still think the constrictor pat is silly though as most snakes in the world constrict XD
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/05/2010 : 23:06:18
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

This is going to sound like a very dumb question but is there any difference between a boa constricter and a boa for example, a rosy?
yeah the differance is about 5'

lol.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/05/2010 : 23:04:56
I don't think all boas are called constrictors i think the constrictor is a sub species, not completely sure though.

There are a few boa morphs mainly in the Boa constrictor imperator species but most are just natural variations from different localities.

Like how Miamis and carolinas are both wild type corns but vary slightly because they come from different locations.
lee2308 Posted - 16/05/2010 : 23:03:43
quote:

This is going to sound like a very dumb question but is there any difference between a boa constricter and a boa for example, a rosy?
yeah the differance is about 5'
Sta~ple Posted - 16/05/2010 : 22:31:14
Wow those pictures on there are great! They are all so pretty and most of the have a tash! Hehe. I didn't expect there to be so many types, I expected a few types and like lots of morphs but not the other way around!

This is going to sound like a very dumb question but is there any difference between a boa constricter and a boa for example, a rosy? Or is it like I'm thinking it is and the constrictor part is just a sub family within the boa part? Or are all boa's also called boa constrictors?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/05/2010 : 22:11:12

mikerichards Posted - 16/05/2010 : 21:39:04
There are loads of variants of the Boa Constrictor theme, mine is a suriname boa, of true red tails there are not that many, theres the surinam, the guyana, and there are more but i cant think of any right now!
The BCi is a Boa constrictor Imperator, although they are boa constrictors, they are not known as 'true' red tails.
The imperators and such dont generally get as big as true reds, although a few have hit 10 foot, generally the res tails will hit ten as a male and about 12 as female.
People are too short sighted sometimes, other times they simply do not do the research, they buy a snake because it is pretty and a few years down the line, once it has eaten the neighbours cat, and a few pet rabbits, they kinda think, oh dear, hes grown too big, or 'i didnt know they get this big'.
Eventually i would imagine she will get to about 12 foot, maybe, maybe even bigger, i dont know yet! I have named her no, i doubt i will to be honest, when i get her out i am too strained to mention a name anyway, i just about mutter 'you heavy b*tch' when i get her out!and thats through clenched teeth!
Sta~ple Posted - 16/05/2010 : 21:30:33
quote:

quote:
Is your new girl a different morph/species to the smaller one as she looks greyer.

Yes they're different species of Boa, the smaller one is a BCI (Boa Constrictor Imperator) and the larger a BCC (Boa Constrictor Constrictor).

I have to say it is pretty amazing just how many of these type of snakes, not necesarilly just boas but mainly Boas and Burms that you see up for adoption/sale because they have "outgrown their welcome" so to speak.

Edit: Sta~ple i'm liking the new sig.

Are they really called constrictor constrictor? Sounds like someone got a bit lazy when coming up with a name XD I guess the live in the same area/environment as each other then if they can live together and can mate with each other?

It's sad that someone would want to sell their pet because it's too big you would think they would know about the size as that's kinda of the whole main appeal for some people but then I guess when you actually look at it full grown it's a different story :( it's like the whole fad with the micro pigs now as there is actually no such thing as a true micro pig and then some end up growing huge and people don't want them :/

How big will she actually grow an most importantly, have you named her yet ;)
Kehhlyr Posted - 16/05/2010 : 21:25:45
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

To be honest, i know i am gonna get bitten badly at some point, it kinda comes with having big snakes, whether it is my mistake or the snakes mistake, i dont know, but i am not perfect and will make the mistake at some point, it happens, i can only take the precautions i can, if i still get bit, well, its most likely to be my fault!........

This /\

I've been tagged by Marshy a while back, was very light and only drew couple small dots of blood, but that was completely my fault.
In fact aside from Trio all the other times that I've been tagged were my fault as well.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/05/2010 : 21:17:23
quote:
Is your new girl a different morph/species to the smaller one as she looks greyer.

Yes they're different species of Boa, the smaller one is a BCI (Boa Constrictor Imperator) and the larger a BCC (Boa Constrictor Constrictor).

I have to say it is pretty amazing just how many of these type of snakes, not necesarilly just boas but mainly Boas and Burms that you see up for adoption/sale because they have "outgrown their welcome" so to speak.

Edit: Sta~ple i'm liking the new sig.
mikerichards Posted - 16/05/2010 : 19:32:25
I wont be laughing! unless she bites someone else! Its gonna do some damage though!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000