The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptile Photos
 Darwin the Water Monitor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lixra Posted - 29/08/2010 : 23:39:12
Everyone loved the profile signature picture of Darwin, so I decided to post some more photos of him here.

Mug shot!

Should've named him Gene Simmons!

Egg!!!!!!!

Om nom nom...

And enjoying his daily bath time...

A little brief history on him...

We adopted him from a woman who co-owned a reptile shop with her husband who didn't have the time to spend with him anymore. She also really didn't have any idea on how to care for him. He had a mite infection and ended up rubbing some scales off the top of his head, half pulled out one of his claws on his back foot (I have no idea how and that had to hurt like a son of a gun...) and was only giving baths "occasionally", and he ended up losing the last inch or so of his tail.

The stress of the move invoked a respiratory infection and we took him to the vet to get prescribed Baytril. The vet weighed him: 3 1/2 feet long and only 4 lbs! Apparently, she was only feeding him bugs at that size, with the occasional pinkie. He's turned into a nice healthy monitor now though. He's dead friendly, loves human contact, is house trained and comes when's he called for food.

We had a 6x4x4 cage for him we built, but he seems to have outgrown it so we redid our smallest bedroom into his "lair". Couldn't ask for a better monitor as a pet really, we're lucky to have him :)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 13/09/2010 : 01:22:20
I've just had some snails hatch, I have a back order for people to send some to, but would you like me to add you to the list???
I'm sure darwin would love some. If not, then grow them on to produce your own food 'friends' for him.
drchino Posted - 13/09/2010 : 00:11:15
haha I'm sure they seriously mess with some of the people wandering out of the coffee shops!!
miss_mystra Posted - 12/09/2010 : 20:56:09
hehehe i love him!!!

we found a few of his friends on holiday in amsterdam last xmas... the photos prove it wasn't the 'waccy baccy' :P altho i swear they moved more...

Lixra Posted - 31/08/2010 : 15:21:29
We're just feeding him normal eggs atm. The hard boiled egg yolks we give him for treats when he's a "good boy", and I use that phrase very loosely ;)
stotty01 Posted - 31/08/2010 : 12:35:14
what eggs do you feed him? just ordinary eggs from the supermarket? or does your shop order some eggs in
HannahB Posted - 31/08/2010 : 12:08:22
oooooooooh very nice - such a spoilt rep!!!

definately want to see more pics of him!!!
stotty01 Posted - 31/08/2010 : 11:13:24
awwwwww he is very sweet :)
gingerpony Posted - 31/08/2010 : 09:38:19
really love him he's soooo cool!

(and soooo big lol)
Lixra Posted - 31/08/2010 : 08:49:41
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

someones spoilt,he be getting a xbox soon to go in his own room lol,you have dona a brilliant job of looking after him,well done

We're giving him his own TV later this week
crazy JJ Posted - 31/08/2010 : 00:08:42
nawww he looks fab :D
lee2308 Posted - 30/08/2010 : 23:24:54
someones spoilt,he be getting a xbox soon to go in his own room lol,you have dona a brilliant job of looking after him,well done
IncurableFlirt Posted - 30/08/2010 : 21:07:52
That is a gorgeous Monitor. And what a lucky guy! It looks like you are taking beautiful care of him and it is good that he's being spoiled, because after his ordeal, he certain deserves it. I just love that first picture, so adorable. Almost looks like he's smiling....saying: Cheeeeeeez!
Lixra Posted - 30/08/2010 : 20:31:22
Thanks for all the comments guys :)

He is a real sweetheart and apparently missed his mommy when I went to the states last month. My husband was here taking care of him and he basically came around to eat and the rest of the time sulked in one corner in his room. Soon as I came back he was back to normal again, which I found cute :)
Tiffany-x Posted - 30/08/2010 : 15:44:05
He is so stunning and so lucky to have such a loving owner and his own room!! He seems to live a life of luxury, and thats great cause I dont think many animals do. :) Nice one!
Tiffany-x
herriotfan Posted - 30/08/2010 : 12:36:20
What a lucky boy to have such a lovely home now. He certainly looks good, a credit to you!
Figs Posted - 30/08/2010 : 12:14:24
He is seriously beautiful!
He looks very happy

I love how long his snout it!
I'm used to my bosc and his snubby nose
kdlang Posted - 30/08/2010 : 10:04:05
We is really cute. i have fallen in love with him. How lucky is he to have his very own room!!! And he is really lucky that you took him on as he seems really happy
Sta~ple Posted - 30/08/2010 : 08:57:04
What a lovely guy, I can't believe how long his tongue is though!
Lixra Posted - 30/08/2010 : 08:01:32
He really does! The majority of those photos were taken in our bathroom, we used to let him run around in there for exercise and to stretch his legs. Gave him a little water bowl and heating pad on to warm his tooshie if he felt like it, heh. When we redid his bedroom, we used latex paint on the walls and ceiling (found this works better than kitchen/bathroom paint as far the heat and humidity in there), put very thin plywood down on the floor and put linoleum on top of that. He's got a slightly raised basking spot a giant water tub, and we even found a hollowed out half log to put in there for him to crawl under. Well, he can crawl under it now, he may be too big for it eventually, but we'll see what we can find once he outgrows it.

He definitely is a spoiled "little" guy :)
drchino Posted - 30/08/2010 : 02:29:06
He looks lovely, glad to see he's gone to a good home. He must love having his own room now!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000