Darwin the Water Monitor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lixra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  23:39:12  Show Profile  Click to see Lixra's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Everyone loved the profile signature picture of Darwin, so I decided to post some more photos of him here.

Mug shot!

Should've named him Gene Simmons!

Egg!!!!!!!

Om nom nom...

And enjoying his daily bath time...

A little brief history on him...

We adopted him from a woman who co-owned a reptile shop with her husband who didn't have the time to spend with him anymore. She also really didn't have any idea on how to care for him. He had a mite infection and ended up rubbing some scales off the top of his head, half pulled out one of his claws on his back foot (I have no idea how and that had to hurt like a son of a gun...) and was only giving baths "occasionally", and he ended up losing the last inch or so of his tail.

The stress of the move invoked a respiratory infection and we took him to the vet to get prescribed Baytril. The vet weighed him: 3 1/2 feet long and only 4 lbs! Apparently, she was only feeding him bugs at that size, with the occasional pinkie. He's turned into a nice healthy monitor now though. He's dead friendly, loves human contact, is house trained and comes when's he called for food.

We had a 6x4x4 cage for him we built, but he seems to have outgrown it so we redid our smallest bedroom into his "lair". Couldn't ask for a better monitor as a pet really, we're lucky to have him :)

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  02:29:06  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He looks lovely, glad to see he's gone to a good home. He must love having his own room now!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Lixra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  08:01:32  Show Profile  Click to see Lixra's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He really does! The majority of those photos were taken in our bathroom, we used to let him run around in there for exercise and to stretch his legs. Gave him a little water bowl and heating pad on to warm his tooshie if he felt like it, heh. When we redid his bedroom, we used latex paint on the walls and ceiling (found this works better than kitchen/bathroom paint as far the heat and humidity in there), put very thin plywood down on the floor and put linoleum on top of that. He's got a slightly raised basking spot a giant water tub, and we even found a hollowed out half log to put in there for him to crawl under. Well, he can crawl under it now, he may be too big for it eventually, but we'll see what we can find once he outgrows it.

He definitely is a spoiled "little" guy :)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  08:57:04  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What a lovely guy, I can't believe how long his tongue is though!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  10:04:05  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We is really cute. i have fallen in love with him. How lucky is he to have his very own room!!! And he is really lucky that you took him on as he seems really happy

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  12:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is seriously beautiful!
He looks very happy

I love how long his snout it!
I'm used to my bosc and his snubby nose
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  12:36:20  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What a lucky boy to have such a lovely home now. He certainly looks good, a credit to you!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  15:44:05  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He is so stunning and so lucky to have such a loving owner and his own room!! He seems to live a life of luxury, and thats great cause I dont think many animals do. :) Nice one!
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Lixra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  20:31:22  Show Profile  Click to see Lixra's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the comments guys :)

He is a real sweetheart and apparently missed his mommy when I went to the states last month. My husband was here taking care of him and he basically came around to eat and the rest of the time sulked in one corner in his room. Soon as I came back he was back to normal again, which I found cute :)

Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Hatchling

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  21:07:52  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is a gorgeous Monitor. And what a lucky guy! It looks like you are taking beautiful care of him and it is good that he's being spoiled, because after his ordeal, he certain deserves it. I just love that first picture, so adorable. Almost looks like he's smiling....saying: Cheeeeeeez!

Jenn.
8.8 Royal Pythons
1.0 BCI Boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
1.2 Corn Snakes
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  23:24:54  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
someones spoilt,he be getting a xbox soon to go in his own room lol,you have dona a brilliant job of looking after him,well done

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  00:08:42  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nawww he looks fab :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Lixra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  08:49:41  Show Profile  Click to see Lixra's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

someones spoilt,he be getting a xbox soon to go in his own room lol,you have dona a brilliant job of looking after him,well done

We're giving him his own TV later this week

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  09:38:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
really love him he's soooo cool!

(and soooo big lol)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  11:13:24  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
awwwwww he is very sweet :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  12:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oooooooooh very nice - such a spoilt rep!!!

definately want to see more pics of him!!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  12:35:14  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what eggs do you feed him? just ordinary eggs from the supermarket? or does your shop order some eggs in

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

Lixra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  15:21:29  Show Profile  Click to see Lixra's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We're just feeding him normal eggs atm. The hard boiled egg yolks we give him for treats when he's a "good boy", and I use that phrase very loosely ;)

Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  20:56:09  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hehehe i love him!!!

we found a few of his friends on holiday in amsterdam last xmas... the photos prove it wasn't the 'waccy baccy' :P altho i swear they moved more...

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2010 :  00:11:15  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha I'm sure they seriously mess with some of the people wandering out of the coffee shops!!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2010 :  01:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've just had some snails hatch, I have a back order for people to send some to, but would you like me to add you to the list???
I'm sure darwin would love some. If not, then grow them on to produce your own food 'friends' for him.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000