The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptile Photos
 Dart Frogs - Tincs Oyapocks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lewy Posted - 20/06/2010 : 22:59:44
Got these two from Donny show today. Finally entered the world of darts, after so long meaning to get some - meet Mario and Luigi

They are happily settling into their newly planted up tank - eating pinhead crickets and black eyed bean weavils
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fal Posted - 10/07/2010 : 22:48:51
We were looking into doing a large setup with dart frogs, its just the feeding that really puts us off. We had Mantids, and when they were young we used flightless fruitflies and micro crickets and it was just a nightmare, so that really put me off. They do look awesome though and I imagine you're enjoying watching them. If you can manage the tiny foodstuffs then good on you and hope it all goes well!!
Sta~ple Posted - 23/06/2010 : 10:07:28
I was about to ask if they were poisonousness but I have my answer now :p although I am not a frog lover these are stunning! Their colours are so beautiful!
Kazerella Posted - 22/06/2010 : 10:09:16
Well their mating ritual is quite quirky. The male has to find a nice hide to lure the female to and if she gets there and doesn't like it then she'll basically end the courtship there, meaning the poor fella has to hunt another love nest out before trying again.

In the wild, they lay eggs in a small pool, then when hatched the female will carry the tadpoles on her back and place them in a well within a bromeliad plant. Then she'll return regulary to lay unfertilized eggs into the well to feed the little fellas.

It's quite unique for amphibians to give that much concern to their offspring. Most would just lay their spawn and hop on
Kellog Posted - 22/06/2010 : 05:38:17
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

........Plus they have weird behaviours and funny quirks to get used to.

It's exciting

What sort of weird behaviour and funny quirks Kaz? (not that I know anything about frogs so wouldnt know what was weird and what wasnt )

xxx
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/06/2010 : 19:47:03
quote:
Originally posted by luke1989

are they poisionous

In the wild they are, they get their toxins from the ants they eat. They are able to store their poison and use it themselves.
It is released from glands on there backs as a defensive mechanism when they are attacked etc.

In captivity they arn't fed these ants and tend to live on Pin head crickets, fruit fly and some other invertibrates and therefore arn't poisonous.

I was curious myself as to wether they were poisonous in captivity and just what they ate in the wild that made them poisonous and found a couple of websites.
eeji Posted - 21/06/2010 : 19:46:04
cool frogs Lewy :D
n/a Posted - 21/06/2010 : 17:54:15
They look stunning!
luke1989 Posted - 21/06/2010 : 17:46:14
are they poisionous
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/06/2010 : 17:14:51
I thought so but wasn't completely sure.
crazy JJ Posted - 21/06/2010 : 13:45:45
yes they would be less poisonous if not at all?, well so i was told yesterday anyway, was looking at some frogs n there quite pretty, but im not a frog person although could make an exception these cuties :D there stunning
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/06/2010 : 13:37:03
Not much of a frog person but i've always loved these little guys. I love their colours, and the pattern on their bellies is pretty stunning.

In the wild they get their toxins from the food they eat, so does that mean that in captivity they would be alot less poisonous?
Kazerella Posted - 21/06/2010 : 12:20:28
Whites are great Hannah! You'd love them. Easier to keep than these little beauties too.

Think it's going to be a steep learning curve with these Darts- we need to start culturing mini foods, which we've never done before. Plus they have weird behaviours and funny quirks to get used to.

It's exciting
HannahB Posted - 21/06/2010 : 08:23:46
oooh very nice
me and luke are thinking about getting some frogs although unfortunately none as cool as that.. think we are looking at the whites tree frog :)
inkiepixie Posted - 21/06/2010 : 08:21:56
Spectacular!

I was very tempted by some froggies at Donny as well, some little orange chaps, but I'm not confident enough with the set up yet.
Kellog Posted - 21/06/2010 : 06:03:08
Lewy, they are brilliant !! I am not a frog person but can totally understand why you wanted to get these. Their colouring and markings are just amazing.

I really do hope you have their tank 'Mighty Alberto proof'....I dread to think what he might do to these 2 beauties if he got the chance !!

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/06/2010 : 23:27:48
I've been looking at those for quite some time, you'll have to let us know on the 'phib site as well how they get on and any ups/downs you have.
Brilliant little froggies.
mozacchio Posted - 20/06/2010 : 23:22:30
Oh my..!
Blue frogs!
Yeah, i didn't know they existed!
They are lovely!
herriotfan Posted - 20/06/2010 : 23:20:55
Wow, they're quite stunning. Love the names!!
gmac Posted - 20/06/2010 : 23:17:54
Very nice Lewy, loving the colours

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000