Dart Frogs - Tincs Oyapocks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  22:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Got these two from Donny show today. Finally entered the world of darts, after so long meaning to get some - meet Mario and Luigi

They are happily settling into their newly planted up tank - eating pinhead crickets and black eyed bean weavils

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  23:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Lewy, loving the colours

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  23:20:55  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, they're quite stunning. Love the names!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  23:22:30  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh my..!
Blue frogs!
Yeah, i didn't know they existed!
They are lovely!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  23:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've been looking at those for quite some time, you'll have to let us know on the 'phib site as well how they get on and any ups/downs you have.
Brilliant little froggies.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  06:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lewy, they are brilliant !! I am not a frog person but can totally understand why you wanted to get these. Their colouring and markings are just amazing.

I really do hope you have their tank 'Mighty Alberto proof'....I dread to think what he might do to these 2 beauties if he got the chance !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  08:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spectacular!

I was very tempted by some froggies at Donny as well, some little orange chaps, but I'm not confident enough with the set up yet.

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  08:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oooh very nice
me and luke are thinking about getting some frogs although unfortunately none as cool as that.. think we are looking at the whites tree frog :)

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  12:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whites are great Hannah! You'd love them. Easier to keep than these little beauties too.

Think it's going to be a steep learning curve with these Darts- we need to start culturing mini foods, which we've never done before. Plus they have weird behaviours and funny quirks to get used to.

It's exciting

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  13:37:03  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not much of a frog person but i've always loved these little guys. I love their colours, and the pattern on their bellies is pretty stunning.

In the wild they get their toxins from the food they eat, so does that mean that in captivity they would be alot less poisonous?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 21/06/2010 14:20:29
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  13:45:45  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes they would be less poisonous if not at all?, well so i was told yesterday anyway, was looking at some frogs n there quite pretty, but im not a frog person although could make an exception these cuties :D there stunning

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  17:14:51  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I thought so but wasn't completely sure.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

luke1989
Hatchling

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  17:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are they poisionous

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  17:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They look stunning!

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  19:46:04  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cool frogs Lewy :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  19:47:03  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke1989

are they poisionous

In the wild they are, they get their toxins from the ants they eat. They are able to store their poison and use it themselves.
It is released from glands on there backs as a defensive mechanism when they are attacked etc.

In captivity they arn't fed these ants and tend to live on Pin head crickets, fruit fly and some other invertibrates and therefore arn't poisonous.

I was curious myself as to wether they were poisonous in captivity and just what they ate in the wild that made them poisonous and found a couple of websites.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  05:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

........Plus they have weird behaviours and funny quirks to get used to.

It's exciting

What sort of weird behaviour and funny quirks Kaz? (not that I know anything about frogs so wouldnt know what was weird and what wasnt )

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  10:09:16  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well their mating ritual is quite quirky. The male has to find a nice hide to lure the female to and if she gets there and doesn't like it then she'll basically end the courtship there, meaning the poor fella has to hunt another love nest out before trying again.

In the wild, they lay eggs in a small pool, then when hatched the female will carry the tadpoles on her back and place them in a well within a bromeliad plant. Then she'll return regulary to lay unfertilized eggs into the well to feed the little fellas.

It's quite unique for amphibians to give that much concern to their offspring. Most would just lay their spawn and hop on

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  10:07:28  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was about to ask if they were poisonousness but I have my answer now :p although I am not a frog lover these are stunning! Their colours are so beautiful!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  22:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were looking into doing a large setup with dart frogs, its just the feeding that really puts us off. We had Mantids, and when they were young we used flightless fruitflies and micro crickets and it was just a nightmare, so that really put me off. They do look awesome though and I imagine you're enjoying watching them. If you can manage the tiny foodstuffs then good on you and hope it all goes well!!

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000