The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Tis a sad day!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikerichards Posted - 13/04/2010 : 09:18:01
This is Skinny boy....

Sadly he died last night, after about a month struggling with an abcess and a serious infection, he'd been having daily jabs, daily swabs, and some force feeding, as he hadnt eaten since october last year. When i say force feeding, hes been fed with a tube and syringe.
You would think all this would stress a snake beyond beleif, and i am sure it did, but he was so placid he never showed it, he never hissed at me, never struck and has never even looked at me funny, he fought the force feeding of course, and was surprisingly strong for his size, but he never regurged or got stroppy with me!
When i got him he was underweight, the previous owner only fed him on a chick every now and then, and assured me he was a terribly fussy feeder! As soon as i got home, i offered him a large rat, well his reaction scared thepoopoutta me!!! he just opened his mouth and lunged, missed the rat, nearly had me and waved his head about with his mouth wide open! funny to watch, not so funny if your on your knees with a rat infront of you with nowhere to go!!!!
Anyways, he ate like a deranged monster, put on loads of weight, i dont know how much but i would guess he was in the region of 5kg at his heaviest, could still see his ribs but he was healthy.
Last night, he weighed 2kg, he was looking so bad that i even had the converstaion about having him put down as he was struggling, but i didnt want to give up on him, he made the choice for me.

I never get emotional about the snakes, they are not really pets to me, but he is different, he was so personable that it was hard not to bond with him, for me anyway, and i could see its true that Boas are especially intelligent, he knew what i was doing, he knew me, as all my boas do, and he trusted me, (he would open his mouth for me to treat his abcess!!)
I am sad he has died, but i am also happy he isnt suffering anymore, and i am annoyed that i couldnt do more for him.
I dont know how old he is, so he could be in the 20's for all i know!!
Anyway, enough of a ramble from me!
Hope you are all well.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 12:30:40
you did your best and he could prob sense this am thinkin of u x x
KITTYCAT Posted - 18/04/2010 : 17:03:56
Sorry for your loss. You did your best at least he isnt suffering any more
R.I.P skinny boy
Fal Posted - 17/04/2010 : 19:55:31
So sorry to hear that, he was a handsome snake! RIP
Kellog Posted - 17/04/2010 : 05:44:23
Mike, I have only just read this post as am not keeping up with things like I used to....and I wish I had read it sooner.

I am so sorry for the loss of Skinny Boy. You and he really fought for his life and it just shows your dedication as an owner and his trust in you that he hung on for so long. I can totally understand why you would have bonded with him more than with other snakes, and therefore why this loss hurts so much more.

I know there is grief in losing him and relief that he is no longer in pain, but you must try not to feel the anger about not being able to do more for him....you did so much more than a lot of other owners would have done - where they would have just thrown up their hands and left him to suffer and die, you fought for his life and so did he. I am just sorry he lost that battle.

I know that it will leave a gap in your life that you are not used to after losing a snake....as he will be missed. But he is at peace now and no longer suffering, which is all that is important. And you showed your true colours as an owner - one he was blessed to have.

xxx

lee2308 Posted - 14/04/2010 : 18:29:26
sorry to hear that mike,seems alot of us seem to be losing snakes lately,including myself and it is surprising how attatched you get.
mikerichards Posted - 14/04/2010 : 06:12:00
He does have a good 'tache doesn't he! I have lost quite a few snakes over the last couple of years, its always sad, but he is different, he had a personality which is rare with snakes.
His abcess was in his head, I don't know where exactly, but it showed through in his mouth, on his inner row of teeth, which he subsequesntly lost, it also pushed his right eye out, which he lost completely, ironically on the way to the vets to try and save it! Anymore than that I don't know, kate did the swabs from his mouth which showed quite a growth of pseudamonas, a nasty nasty bug, and a fungus, which I forget now, but basically everything that was growing well was normal, even the e.coli, but because he was run down his immune system couldn't fight it and it took over!
Sta~ple Posted - 13/04/2010 : 19:03:09
I'm so sorry.. it's so sad when any animals dies to me though. At least he had a good life and a chance when he was with you and I'm sure he really appreicated that you did all that you could for him. I'm sure if there's a snakey heaven he would be having all the mice he could eat, lots of snake ladies and some styling gel for his moustache.
reptiledanny Posted - 13/04/2010 : 19:01:04
so sorry for your loss, like evryone else has said but i will still say it, at least he died a happy life. he was a beautiful snake from the pics
HannahB Posted - 13/04/2010 : 18:46:53
Skinny Boy is gorgeous and a real credit to you for all the hard work and determination you gave him.. many other owners would have just left him to die a long time ago and wouldnt have cared so much, RIP Skinny Boy xxx
matty18714 Posted - 13/04/2010 : 18:34:45
Sorry to hear that Mike, he was a nice looking animal.
dinner83 Posted - 13/04/2010 : 18:04:09
sorry to hear you lost him. but like you say atleast he is not suffering anymore. i wish people how buy any kind of pet would look in to it more befor just jumping in, and not looking after them right. glad to hear you got him and at least looked after him.
n/a Posted - 13/04/2010 : 17:56:33
sorry to for your loss, i think he was lucky to have come into your family and you did your best :)
Kazerella Posted - 13/04/2010 : 17:31:00
Sorry to hear that Mike. R.I.P skinny boy

Where was the abscess? If you don't mind me asking
mikerichards Posted - 13/04/2010 : 16:27:35
Thanks for the messages, am sure hes off chasing some lady snakes somehwere or other, seemed to be quite a pasttime of his! that and eating!
n/a Posted - 13/04/2010 : 16:12:41
Oh Mike!
Im really really sorry to hear this
*BIG HUGS*
xXx
hiper2009 Posted - 13/04/2010 : 15:45:10
Sorry to hear about that Mike , He is gorgeous as well but atleast he doesn't have to suffer in any more pain no more and he will be kicking back with the angels above!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/04/2010 : 11:21:48
So sorry to hear that mike, must be devastating. At least you can rest knowing that he isn't suffering anymore and that you did all that you possibly could do for him.

R.I.P Skinny Boy...
kdlang Posted - 13/04/2010 : 11:11:15
So sorry to hear about Skinny Boy. He was truely a remarkable snake to endure all that he had to with such placidity (if thats a word).
Kazzaboobers Posted - 13/04/2010 : 10:59:42
I am so sorry for your loss - as a family we are just at the beginning of our snake keeping journey - but if our snake can give us as much pleasure as Skinny Boy did for you I will be really happy and clearly it goes without saying that you did an awful lot for him too. Thank you for sharing this with us xxxxx HUG xxxxx
mozacchio Posted - 13/04/2010 : 10:30:24
I'm so sorry.. :/
At least he didin't suffer..
You did all you could..

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000