The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 boa,s

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 12/09/2009 : 20:07:41
hi,
i know this is not the right forum for this but i think some of you may still keep boa,s as well? been to the reptile shop today and they have had some little baby boa constrictors in. are they suitable for a first snake?
thanks
mark

Moved
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 15/09/2009 : 21:04:56
sorry mattie didnt mean to sound like i was having a go there.
BlueTongueDan Posted - 14/09/2009 : 23:04:48
Hoggies can be fairly unpredictable on occasions.
One two seperate occasions now I have been handling mine fine for him to then start chewing on me.
Their 'bluffer' temperament can also put some people off.
But gotta say, they are fantastic little snakes.
matty18714 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 19:36:04
I didnt say they were likly to actualy harm you, I said they were underestimated. The fangs are designed for use on frogs and toads which will infliate themselves in defence, they arnt great against other prey animals or humans.
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 19:30:07
dont be so mean about the hoggies, rear fanged yes venemous also true, but most seem to stupid to be able to do any thing about it. because they are rear fanged they really need to chew on you to get a proper bite, the rest is all a bluff. i love my hoggies in case you couldnt guess.
matty18714 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 19:00:06
Milk snakes are easy too keep and very pretty, go and sign up on www.thekingsnake.co.uk and you will get alot of help

As for hoggies, some people say they are good for begginers, but I think they are very underestimated by alot of people (they are rear fang venomous).
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 17:55:36
hi,
thanks for the advice i think i better wait till i have more experience in snake keeping before i get a large snake. what do you think to hognose,s and milksnakes?

thanks
mark
gingerpony Posted - 13/09/2009 : 18:14:23
so its a common/BCI that may carry albino genes........ or may not!
expect an adult size of roughly 7-9ft unless you're 100% positive it's a dwarf locality or from smaller parents
Brookestar Posted - 13/09/2009 : 17:54:59
just make sure you get what you are told you have been given. doesnt matter with corns because they all get same size but with boas different ones get to different sizes and if im correct then sex also determines size like a burm
n/a Posted - 13/09/2009 : 17:34:20
hi,
thanks for the replies. i was thinking dwarfs but the one ive seen in the shop just said boa constrictor 50% het for albino(kahl) i think. got to go back on monday when the snake guy is in the shop as he knows more about them.

thanks
mark
gingerpony Posted - 13/09/2009 : 16:55:24
quote:
Originally posted by Brookestar

have you read a care sheet about them and know the husbandry for one. know maximum size and so on?

good point as there's a whole lot of variety in the term 'boas' lol

what specific species were you thinking about?
Brookestar Posted - 13/09/2009 : 15:12:02
as said before really. as long as you know how big they can get and you have the space and basic snake understanding i cant see why you couldnt get one.
they are generally calm but get can very moody (well the one that got me was)

have you read a care sheet about them and know the husbandry for one. know maximum size and so on?
matty18714 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 11:24:21
I agree with GP. They will get a decent size, so make sure you know what your taking on. Ask to handle an adult at the shop. As a whole they are nice calm snakes and easy to care for.
gingerpony Posted - 12/09/2009 : 22:03:48
i'm a boa girl

to be honest, if you realise just how big they're going to get an can accomodate that, and if you handle a few adults to make sure you're happy with them, then their care is generally quite straight-forward
n/a Posted - 12/09/2009 : 22:01:01
I am no expert but as far as i am aware they would probably be for a person who has a little experience with snakes.

See what the others say just what i think !

Regards Chris & Cornflake

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000