New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  20:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,
i know this is not the right forum for this but i think some of you may still keep boa,s as well? been to the reptile shop today and they have had some little baby boa constrictors in. are they suitable for a first snake?
thanks
mark

Moved

Edited by - matty18714 on 13/09/2009 11:24:56

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  22:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am no expert but as far as i am aware they would probably be for a person who has a little experience with snakes.

See what the others say just what i think !

Regards Chris & Cornflake

1 x Cornsnake (Cornflake)
1 x Boxer Dog (Stumpi)
Regards Chris & Cornflake
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  22:03:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm a boa girl

to be honest, if you realise just how big they're going to get an can accomodate that, and if you handle a few adults to make sure you're happy with them, then their care is generally quite straight-forward

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  11:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with GP. They will get a decent size, so make sure you know what your taking on. Ask to handle an adult at the shop. As a whole they are nice calm snakes and easy to care for.

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  15:12:02  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as said before really. as long as you know how big they can get and you have the space and basic snake understanding i cant see why you couldnt get one.
they are generally calm but get can very moody (well the one that got me was)

have you read a care sheet about them and know the husbandry for one. know maximum size and so on?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  16:55:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brookestar

have you read a care sheet about them and know the husbandry for one. know maximum size and so on?

good point as there's a whole lot of variety in the term 'boas' lol

what specific species were you thinking about?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  17:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,
thanks for the replies. i was thinking dwarfs but the one ive seen in the shop just said boa constrictor 50% het for albino(kahl) i think. got to go back on monday when the snake guy is in the shop as he knows more about them.

thanks
mark
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  17:54:59  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just make sure you get what you are told you have been given. doesnt matter with corns because they all get same size but with boas different ones get to different sizes and if im correct then sex also determines size like a burm
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  18:14:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so its a common/BCI that may carry albino genes........ or may not!
expect an adult size of roughly 7-9ft unless you're 100% positive it's a dwarf locality or from smaller parents

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  17:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,
thanks for the advice i think i better wait till i have more experience in snake keeping before i get a large snake. what do you think to hognose,s and milksnakes?

thanks
mark
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  19:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Milk snakes are easy too keep and very pretty, go and sign up on www.thekingsnake.co.uk and you will get alot of help

As for hoggies, some people say they are good for begginers, but I think they are very underestimated by alot of people (they are rear fang venomous).

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  19:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont be so mean about the hoggies, rear fanged yes venemous also true, but most seem to stupid to be able to do any thing about it. because they are rear fanged they really need to chew on you to get a proper bite, the rest is all a bluff. i love my hoggies in case you couldnt guess.

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Hotaru)
2.2.0 western hognose (Huff and Puff)(Missy and Pharoh)
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  19:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt say they were likly to actualy harm you, I said they were underestimated. The fangs are designed for use on frogs and toads which will infliate themselves in defence, they arnt great against other prey animals or humans.

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  23:04:48  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hoggies can be fairly unpredictable on occasions.
One two seperate occasions now I have been handling mine fine for him to then start chewing on me.
Their 'bluffer' temperament can also put some people off.
But gotta say, they are fantastic little snakes.

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  21:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry mattie didnt mean to sound like i was having a go there.

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Hotaru)
2.2.0 western hognose (Huff and Puff)(Missy and Pharoh)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000