The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 urgent advice needed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikeyd_26 Posted - 31/05/2012 : 21:14:23
i recently posted about one of my royals not feeding...
any way ive just got home and went to check on the reps
and she was all twisted up and upside down, she is also showing signs of dehydration, she is alive but barely.
so ive sent the other half out for some powerade and im going to bathe her any other ideas please people?

the temps are between 29.5 and 31.5
she is in a small rub with hides, water bowl ect...

Mod Edit: moved for you. More likely to stay at the top in the none photoy bit and your more likely to get answer in this section.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 05/06/2012 : 20:29:13
They could be carriers so it might be worth a phone call.
mikeyd_26 Posted - 04/06/2012 : 22:56:51
ive recently sold a load of beardies, should i notify people or are they safe?
mikerichards Posted - 04/06/2012 : 22:28:44
fair enough mate, problem is you cant sell anything, you just dont know what it was, it may well have been something different, but there is a chance that it was IBD, and any snake can carry it asymptomatic and pass it on and kill other snakes quite easily.
mikeyd_26 Posted - 04/06/2012 : 19:21:02
ah man ive already buried her dont fancy digging her up ive just got to hope it was something else
mikerichards Posted - 04/06/2012 : 15:45:51
sorry mate, but you are never gonna know until you have a necropsy done, so basically when they all die off.
smart bunny Posted - 04/06/2012 : 15:12:20
So sorry to read this - I hope the rest of your snakes are OK :(
mikeyd_26 Posted - 04/06/2012 : 09:56:45
thanks for the info mikeR, what type of time scale would i be looking at to know if my collection is 'all clear' and/or infected?
kev 5 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 10:06:55
sorry for your loss
mikerichards Posted - 03/06/2012 : 09:55:21
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

so sorry. i found this earler if its any use?: http://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/Interesting_facts_about_Boa_constrictor/Boa_constrictor_Care/diseases/Inclusion_Body_Disease

Thats a really good read.
mikerichards Posted - 03/06/2012 : 09:44:12
Sorry to hear that, it does sound very much like IBD. Despite what was said, IBD cannot be tested for properly in a live snake without causing massive distress and being extremely expensive. Blood tests are not good enough. The reason that is the case is because when you test for something, you test for something specific, there isnt a test that tests for everything then at the end says its 'XYZ', the problem there is that no one knows yet what to look for with IBD, so it may show in a test, but unless they know what to look for, it gets overlooked.
The data that is collected from the blood test, and i think it was Peter Kahl who tried testing for it originally, is not conclusive at all, it does say something is going on, but it doesnt say what, so a positive result in the blood just means there is an infection, it could be anything.
To conclusively test for IBD in any animal requires biopsies from the brain and spinal nerve tissue, that would be fatal for a live snake.

The other problem, IBD is stupidly infectious, it is able to spread by contact (us and each other), it can be spread by mites, and it is also airbourne, which is bad, it means that it can carry quite a long way, and has been proven to travel an entire house, even when snakes are separated upstairs and downstairs.
IBD can infect other snakes, including corns kings and milks, and other ratsnakes, the symptoms are very similar, and the end result is always the same. there is no cure. I am pretty sure IBD is a retro virus, its very hard to kill, i to think F10 would be amongst the top bug killers.

THe other thing, you must not sell any animals to anyone, you cannot know 100% that your animals arent carriers, and if you sell any animal you could risk another persons entire collection, you are between a rock and a hard place now, you cannot sensibly buy anymore animals (reps), you cannot sell any either. You have two choices really, euthanise your collection, or stick with just them until they die off. Sounds harsh i know, but thats the reality of IBD.
The reason why you should always have a PM done with suspected IBD is because you need to know, IBD isnt the most common disease, and there are a few others that mimic it, and something else that does is severe dehydration. So, there is a higher chance that it is not IBD, but you have to be sure, otherwise the below really does apply to you.

Ibd is a serious threat to everyone, you could potentially carry the disease yourself into another persons collection, which wouldnt be good.
If you havent already, DO NOT freeze the snake, but her in the fridge and have a PM done asap, you need to know.
ScalySituation Posted - 02/06/2012 : 20:26:22
i've heard f10 is pretty powerful stuff
mikeyd_26 Posted - 02/06/2012 : 20:21:21
so ive gone through nearly 2 bottles of cascade today making sure every thing is clean
will cascade dissinfect ibd?
if not any other suggestions?
ScalySituation Posted - 02/06/2012 : 11:33:34
poor little dude/dudette sorry for your loss xx RIP little one
Mort13 Posted - 02/06/2012 : 11:20:23
Oh no,what an awful thing to have happened and to be going through Fingers crossed for you and the rest of your collection.
Blackcat Posted - 02/06/2012 : 08:37:15
So sorry :(
Hope the rest of your collection is ok
lotabob Posted - 01/06/2012 : 22:39:55
Aww I'm sorry about that, IBD is very very quickly debilitating and fatal to a Royal and its probably for the best the suffering wasn't prolonged. For now you will have to treat your whole collection as infected, your Boas are the ones at risk I think though dont quote me on it that corn snakes can't get IBD it infects only Boids, they may be able to carry the disease though, I'm not 100% on that.

As to the possible source, if your Royal has been with you more than a few months then its likely it was not infected when you got it due to the way it very quickly will prove fatal within a number of weeks. Unfortunately this points the source to another one of your Boids. I think I remember something about mites been a possible transmitter of the disease and I recall you saying you had to deal with an outbreak of them.

I just cant imagine what you are going through right now, it really is the worse case scenario for Boid keepers.
nusnakemum Posted - 01/06/2012 : 21:08:24
oh no i am so sorry
lupi lou Posted - 01/06/2012 : 18:25:55
so sorry. i found this earler if its any use?: http://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/Interesting_facts_about_Boa_constrictor/Boa_constrictor_Care/diseases/Inclusion_Body_Disease
Auld Baldy Posted - 01/06/2012 : 15:43:59
On the Melissa Kaplan reference to IBD, it states that there is a blood test available. (FAQ at the bottom of the page.)

Link: http://www.anapsid.org/ibd.html
chrisc Posted - 01/06/2012 : 14:56:52
as far as i know they can only test for it by doing a PM or possibly from taking a tissue sample

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000