The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 any bird keepers?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
adamasrc Posted - 22/01/2012 : 22:42:51
would love a bird, specifically a parrot. Have been looking at african greys, amazons and senegals, was just wondering if anyone had any experience, are they easy to look after / do they make good pets?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
adamasrc Posted - 29/01/2012 : 18:57:08
haha, photos will come, as soon as he doesnt try and take my hand off :)
herriotfan Posted - 29/01/2012 : 18:36:00
quote:
Originally posted by adamasrc

right - i know this has all happened very quickly but i've bought an amazon. well i say bought.. i feel more like rescued. The bird came in a tiny cage, i'm buying a large one tomorrow, but he hasn't made a sound since i got him home 2 hours ago, is that normal?

Give your bird time to settle. No different to snakes, or any other pet, it's all very new and they need a while to get used to their surroundings.
Have you thought about going on a forum for amazons? You should find one on the web somewhere and as we all know they can give some great help and advice.
I'm happy for you and I'm sure your new addition will have a good home.
Looking forward to photos!!!
adamasrc Posted - 29/01/2012 : 17:57:23
right - i know this has all happened very quickly but i've bought an amazon. well i say bought.. i feel more like rescued. The bird came in a tiny cage, i'm buying a large one tomorrow, but he hasn't made a sound since i got him home 2 hours ago, is that normal?
adamasrc Posted - 28/01/2012 : 22:09:00
thanks for the infomation, fortunately i do have a lot of spare time, i'm willing to give a lot of attention and i have enough space, money isnt really an issue. I've been looking on preloved and oodle but no luck, a lot of the adverts are breeders that dont actually have the birds. Most have phoned up 10-20 different numbers and they all say 'phone back in april' so guess i have to wait..
Puffin Posted - 28/01/2012 : 21:47:54
Hi, I’m a bird owner. To be honest as much as I love them, I agree with Sta~ple that parrots don't really make great pets unless you have the time/attention/space/money for them. I have a c0ckatiel and a parrotlet (that thinks he's a full sized macaw) and they are a handful as it is.

Whilst I don't really agree with rescuing an ill or mistreated parrot unless you know what you are doing (because you are more likely to do more damage than help it out), I definitely recommend looking on sites like Preloved for birds that need rehoming. I got Kiwi from there, as his previous owners no longer had the time for him. I went to see him before I took him home, it was obvious he had a great home where he was, so it was a shame in a way, but he is really friendly and I love him to pieces and he gives me an excuse to splash out my money on!

I would also advise against buying the bird from a pet shop! (Though that’s not much of a problem with big birds in this country) When I got Freyja I didn’t realize she was ill, I only noticed a week after I got her (birds tend to hide their illness until they are extremely sick), thankfully I was able to take her to the vet and get her the right medicine. Also birds from pet shops are usually not brought up in the best conditions as the breeders who supply them only care about the money.

I hope this is useful to you (and makes sense, lol).
adamasrc Posted - 28/01/2012 : 21:13:36
decided to take the plunge, been looking all day but absolutely no one has any parrots of any sort.. does anyone know a breeder / shop that sells them?
scottishbluebird Posted - 26/01/2012 : 18:58:04
Used to have Kakarikis, they are quite fun! would watch tv/ on computer with them swinging on my fringe!
adamasrc Posted - 26/01/2012 : 16:45:01
they do don't they! done my research and they are quite noisy, nothing compared to the big parrots though, grow to 18 inches with half of that being their tail.. only problem is where to find one, saw one on preloved, looked perfect and was a 2 minute drive from me but has been sold :( other than that they seem to be hard to find, also looked at conures and indian ringneck's
Sta~ple Posted - 26/01/2012 : 14:27:21
Hahns macaws look adorable! Don't know much about them at all though. It's not really the size or noise, it the fact hey get so attached to people and most peoples life styles really aren't suitable for parrots.

To be honest, I would love a toucan.
adamasrc Posted - 24/01/2012 : 21:56:45
aw thanks! got my eyes set on a hahns macaw. and i totally agree with you sta~ple, i've seen the size of them and the noise they make, not really suitable for a house
ScalySituation Posted - 24/01/2012 : 20:37:39
quote:
You sound as if you'd be a great owner..... my best wishes!!

What a lovely thing to say
herriotfan Posted - 24/01/2012 : 20:22:00
quote:
Originally posted by adamasrc

at the end of the day i would be prepared to put a lot of time and money into any of my pets, sounds like they are a lot of hard work but they look and sound like amazing pets as well. i'll leave it for a couple of months and have a think about it, oh and we tried chickens.. fox liked them more than we did apparently!

They're awesome and I love my Peanut to bits
Do lots of research and then if you're still sure it's the right thing to do go for it. You sound as if you'd be a great owner..... my best wishes!!
Sta~ple Posted - 24/01/2012 : 20:18:57
I don't think big parrots make good pets nor so I think they should be pets at all. Suppose with a mid size like an amazons there are lots of toys and advise out there but also a lot of unwanted ones.
adamasrc Posted - 24/01/2012 : 19:28:58
at the end of the day i would be prepared to put a lot of time and money into any of my pets, sounds like they are a lot of hard work but they look and sound like amazing pets as well. i'll leave it for a couple of months and have a think about it, oh and we tried chickens.. fox liked them more than we did apparently!
herriotfan Posted - 24/01/2012 : 18:47:15
I have to say I do agree with Sta~ple. Unless you're prepared to put the time and money into a parrot then it's kinder not to get one. Our Peanut is very lucky to have a home where her needs are understood & met, her 'off' days tolerated and I researched more than you can imagine before I got her! Also don't forget that a parrot can live many years so it needs consideration for the long term.
Sta~ple Posted - 24/01/2012 : 18:23:45
Also, when you have a parrot you kinda have to say good bye to social life or, have someone there to kind of parrot sit. They grey bites hurt, you can be so nice to her but if she decides she doesn't like them, that's it can she can draw blood! Bigger birds like ****atoos and macaws have sent people to A&E with their bites, they can crush nut shells easily. Our ****atoo is a dear but I don't know if all parrots have bad mood swings or not but you can be their fussing and cuddling them one moment, the next second they are huffed up, biting you and screaming. They also love to try and chew on anything they can when they are out and when they don't want to go back in... you also can't just shove a load of toys and hope they will amuse themsleves, we got ours a load of nice toys, they either sheer very clear away from some, they grey even freaks out or they will destroy it in within a week.

The telephone ringing doesn't get annoying to me, no noises are annoying to me it's just not great when you trying to talk on the phone or someone round your house and they don't like how your not giving them attention as your focused on something else and they scream. The throwing food can be teachable against, ish. Every time the too would do it as us, we stopped sweeping up or telling him off, just let him carry on doing that until he had no seed. It would then be a few hours where he was out food so he soon learnt. He does chuck some seed out sometimes as he's looking for the best in the mix.

Our grey asks people as soon as they walk through the door if they want a cup of coffee, will make plate clacking noises. If she's ****ed with the dog trying to hoover up feathers and seed around her cage she will say "Shell... OUT! BAD GIRL, GET OUT!" so the dog leaves then then she will go "Shelly * whistle*" so the dog comes back in and then she sends it out again.

So many parrots get shoved in out buildings with hardly any light where its quite cold as people get fed up of them. Infact their are so many placed in rescues because of the fact they are in a rescue and don't get enough human attention and star to get ill because of it, they are being put down, and most of these birds sell for a grand as well. That's another thing, cage + bird + toys + upkeep = expensive! If you want a cuddly bird, get a chicken :P
herriotfan Posted - 24/01/2012 : 18:12:46
They're very comical when they speak but that can take a long time to happen. Not all parrots will talk. I'm lucky that mine does but she also mimics other household noises and is very good at it. Our doorbell often rings and makes the dogs bark......the 'doorbell' that is Peanut I hasten to add. It amazes me how she gets the pitch, volume and timing exact.
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 18:02:48
lol @ Red

I think although it be annoying, ringing like a telephone and throwing food at people walking by is hilarious in a sense lol, imagine u need a cup of tea and cnt b ****d to get, bir makes telephone ring, misus gets up, "can ya make a cup of tea while u up love?" lmao classic!
Red123 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 13:54:32
We had two conures but I had to rehome them. They make a huge amount of noise and the poor dog would sit shaking at the top of the garden and as he was here first so......
Do alot of research in to varoius breeds and I would also suggest having some close contact with someone elses first so you get an idea of what you are letting yourself in for. They are amusing to watch and can be loving but can also be really nasty. Believe me a beek can do alot of damage to both you and your home! They can also develop some really annoying habits. Ringing like a telephone for most of the day can literally send you up the wall. Oh and chucking huge amounts of seed and other food at you when ever you go past them can get rather annoying.

We just have a budgie now, came on holiday 4 years ago and never went home.
burton2236 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:33:23
go on google and search macaw recuse they give great advice

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000