The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Meet the chooks. (pic heavy)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 06/06/2011 : 19:09:23
The hens are ex-battery and ex-barn so not in top condition but the ex-battery girls we have had for just over a year and look a hundred times better than they were when we took them on. The ex-barn girls joined us just a few days ago and are still settling in and a little camera shy. The ex-battery girls are the ones with the bright red/pink comb and wattles, the ex-barn girls are still a very pale pink but are starting to colour up already. Hope you like them, they mean the world to us especially to Carl, my 13 year old, who they belong to.

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mort13 Posted - 07/06/2011 : 13:12:25
Heh,heh brill. Chickens are ace.
Good on you for taking them on.
Sta~ple Posted - 07/06/2011 : 12:53:14
I have to say well done and those are so gorgeous girlies! I hope they live to be that old for you, we haven't been so lucky even with the chucks that were never barn or battery :( they are amazing birds though and I have to recommend them too :) Can't wait for them to grow all their feathers back for you!
Red123 Posted - 07/06/2011 : 12:23:22
Battery and barn hens are usually killed at approx 18 months old I believe, as their egg laying will start to slow down at that time, they are not guarenteed to lay an egg every day. They would normally be sent to slaughter and used for making dog, cat food etc. The farmer often has rescue centres that specilaise in the rescue of these hens go in and clear alot of the hens, its a big job with several hundred being moved out for slaughtering. The lucky ones are taken to a rescue centre where they are health checked before being found new homes. These centres actually have a awaiting list most of the time with people wanting to take these hens on. Our hens were done through a private rescue in our area. Before we got the barn girls we were getting 4 eggs a day out of 5 hens so you can't complain at that. The barn girls probably won't lay for a month or so as they need to regain their strength and health. We will keep these hens now until they pass away, they can live to be 6-7 years, whether they lay eggs or not, they deserve a good life after the start they have had. I would encourage anyone thinking of getting hens to give battery or barn girls a second chance, they would not be disappointed.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 06/06/2011 : 23:44:34
Awh lovely! I'd say they dont know themselves now after being battery hens! How did you get them? I just assumed they killed all the oldies? :( Or am i completely misinformed?
animalcrazy Posted - 06/06/2011 : 20:45:24
I love the photos of them eyeballing the camera, what fab girls you have and great you took on ex battery hens :)
lotabob Posted - 06/06/2011 : 19:55:37
Mmmm blend of secret herb and spices. lol.
Red123 Posted - 06/06/2011 : 19:18:18
Sorry wrong section , can someone move it to the correct one please, Thankyou.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000