New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  19:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hens are ex-battery and ex-barn so not in top condition but the ex-battery girls we have had for just over a year and look a hundred times better than they were when we took them on. The ex-barn girls joined us just a few days ago and are still settling in and a little camera shy. The ex-battery girls are the ones with the bright red/pink comb and wattles, the ex-barn girls are still a very pale pink but are starting to colour up already. Hope you like them, they mean the world to us especially to Carl, my 13 year old, who they belong to.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  19:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry wrong section , can someone move it to the correct one please, Thankyou.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  19:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmm blend of secret herb and spices. lol.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  20:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the photos of them eyeballing the camera, what fab girls you have and great you took on ex battery hens :)

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  23:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awh lovely! I'd say they dont know themselves now after being battery hens! How did you get them? I just assumed they killed all the oldies? :( Or am i completely misinformed?

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Battery and barn hens are usually killed at approx 18 months old I believe, as their egg laying will start to slow down at that time, they are not guarenteed to lay an egg every day. They would normally be sent to slaughter and used for making dog, cat food etc. The farmer often has rescue centres that specilaise in the rescue of these hens go in and clear alot of the hens, its a big job with several hundred being moved out for slaughtering. The lucky ones are taken to a rescue centre where they are health checked before being found new homes. These centres actually have a awaiting list most of the time with people wanting to take these hens on. Our hens were done through a private rescue in our area. Before we got the barn girls we were getting 4 eggs a day out of 5 hens so you can't complain at that. The barn girls probably won't lay for a month or so as they need to regain their strength and health. We will keep these hens now until they pass away, they can live to be 6-7 years, whether they lay eggs or not, they deserve a good life after the start they have had. I would encourage anyone thinking of getting hens to give battery or barn girls a second chance, they would not be disappointed.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:53:14  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have to say well done and those are so gorgeous girlies! I hope they live to be that old for you, we haven't been so lucky even with the chucks that were never barn or battery :( they are amazing birds though and I have to recommend them too :) Can't wait for them to grow all their feathers back for you!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  13:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh,heh brill. Chickens are ace.
Good on you for taking them on.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000