The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 06/01/2010 : 09:43:28
Hi all,

My names Dawn and we bought our son a snake for xmas as he had been asking for one all last year.
We believe he was born the beginning of Nov so only a baby yet, I picked him up from the shop on the 23rd of Dec and as you can imagine my son was excited xmas day when he got him!!!
He has named him Steve and he is a very friendly and lively character, i could spend hours watching him!!
My main concern is he doesn't seem to want to take the food from the tweezers, the first time he fed, i had left it in his viv over night and by morning it was gone and he had a nice bulge in his belly, this time i have tried again and still he doesn't want to take it from me.
I have now left it in his viv again to see if he will take it.
Do i need to worry or is he just a shy eater? the shop said they used to feed him a pinkie every monday.
It's now Wed and he doesn't show signs of wanting to feed yet.
Have had a look at the feeding guide which is great, was just hoping to catch him striking and eating the pinkie.
Thanks again i can see this site being a wealth of advice.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 26/01/2010 : 03:45:43
Steve is looking stunning after his shed, such brilliant colouring....and it is lovely seeing him feeding as well.

xxx
newsnakekeeper Posted - 25/01/2010 : 13:24:22
Nice pics of steve after his shed and that i wonder if my snake is due to shed as he is spending a lot of time under substrate well i guess i will just have to wait and see if that what he is going to do
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 11:05:57
As promised Steve after his first shed.

n/a Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:04:23
Hello Fernando, your not the only one.
Fernando Pierre Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:00:33
HELLO i am loving my corn!!!!
n/a Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:55:07
Hi again,

I'm here with another question please, I have finally got my scales today and weighed Steve, he is weighing 12g, does this sound about right for his age? we think he is about 3 months old now.
Kellog Posted - 21/01/2010 : 03:58:32
quote:
Originally posted by mom2mysononly

OMG!!! Steve shed last night sometime between 9pm and 9.30pm. whoooohhooooooo i'm so excited..lol........ I was so happy, a little disapointed we had missed it but at least he had got it of almost in one piece.

That is such good news! I am so pleased for you, even though you missed seeing it. What is important is that he has shed and it was a good shed, even if he did have the tail tip left on. You have many years ahead of you to witness a shed....although I am sure they purposely wait until we leave the room and then shed quickly just so we miss it

I took him downstairs and got some damp kitchen cloth and gently rub along the end of his tale and got the remainder off.

You did the perfect thing in dealing with his remaining shed. Well done . I am glad you managed to get it off so easily.

...... I got his rub out and a pinky, placed that in the rub then put Steve in and he went straight for it, must have been starving poor baby..lol

That is great to hear he ate so well, and must have been a relief to you.

......The weighing scales have come this morning so will get him weighed tomorrow once we can handle him again,

Remember you cant handle him for 48hrs after he has eaten

i have measured his shed and it is coming out at 15 inches, that's without the bit that was left on his tale, I tried to measure him last night but he was all over the place bless him.

Whenever you measure a shed you need to subtract 10% because the skin stretches as the snake sheds it, but at least you have a rough idea of how long he is cos there is NO WAY he is going to lay still for you to measure him!!

Can i just say a very big, big, big, thank you to all of you who have helped me .......Without you guys i would have pulled my hair our not knowing what was going on or what to do so THANK YOU.....

You know the thanks isnt necessary...it is what we are here for !!!

Just one more question. how long before this process starts all over again?.....

Think Imfastcars has answered that question. They shed more often when they are younger and growing more. Kellog only sheds every 6 weeks now, although it is virtually like clockwork. Have had first shed with Silvesta and have no idea when to expect his next one.

lmfastcars Posted - 20/01/2010 : 10:42:12
because its young, it will be more often than older snake becasue theyre still growing . Itll be about a months time.
n/a Posted - 20/01/2010 : 08:16:16
OMG!!! Steve shed last night sometime between 9pm and 9.30pm. whoooohhooooooo i'm so excited..lol

Hubby and son came home from Taekwondo and checked him which was about 9pm, he was still curled up in his tube. I came in about 9.30pm and went and had a peek and he was out at the front of the viv looking beautiful and really vibrant and he was really frisky, i took the lid of and picked him up and then looked down and there was his shed!! apart from about an inch and a half still on the tip of his tale the rest had come off in one piece!! I was so happy, a little disapointed we had missed it but at least he had got it of almost in one piece.
I took him downstairs and got some damp kitchen cloth and gently rub along the end of his tale and got the remainder off.
He was soooooo lively bless him, I got his rub out and a pinky, placed that in the rub then put Steve in and he went straight for it, must have been starving poor baby..lol
It's the quickest i have known him go for his food since we have had him, I am hoping to try and get him to start striking for it over the next few feeds now he seems to have definatley settled in.
I can tell you i have one contented little snakie now.
The weighing scales have come this morning so will get him weighed tomorrow once we can handle him again, i have measured his shed and it is coming out at 15 inches, that's without the bit that was left on his tale, I tried to measure him last night but he was all over the place bless him.

Can i just say a very big, big, big, thank you to all of you who have helped me through the last few weeks, we have had steve 4 weeks today and i can't believe how well he has settled into our home!!
Without you guys i would have pulled my hair our not knowing what was going on or what to do so THANK YOU
I would recommend anyone getting a snake to do your homework first as they are not easy and can give you sleepless nights worrying about them!!
I have learned so much in the last 4weeks thanks the the people on this forum and thanks to them i have one contented little snake

Just one more question. how long before this process starts all over again? lol

PS, photo's to follow, photo bucket doing maintenence so cant upload yet
n/a Posted - 19/01/2010 : 07:48:36
Checked Steve this morning and his eyes have gone clear now :) it was lovely to handle him again, i have missed him :( will keep an eye on him now, should have his first shed over the weekend now :)
Sorry can you tell i'm a neurotic new mom..lol
Kellog Posted - 18/01/2010 : 10:01:07
quote:

..... so his eyes will go red again b4 he sheds? Once he has shed will it be ok to feed him straight away?

His eyes will return to their normal colour after being 'blue' for a few days...then it will be about 4 to 5 days after that before he sheds. Be aware that while he is 'blue' he is virtually blind so will probably be scared by any sort of movement or touch.

If he is due a feed during the shed period then yes, feed him straight after he has shed. If he doesnt miss his feed day then wait until his normal day to feed him.

xxx
n/a Posted - 18/01/2010 : 09:43:21
Thanks for that guys, i picked the tube out of his viv yesterday just to check he was ok and his eyes have clouded over and gone like a lightish blue colour, i just stroked him and spoke to him gently whilst still in his tube to let him know he was ok then put him back, can't wait now, so excited, so his eyes will go red again b4 he sheds? Once he has shed will it be ok to feed him straight away?
Kellog Posted - 18/01/2010 : 03:24:31
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

I thought it was strange that Snickers never did anything strange before her shed except to change to blue. The two sheds ago she suddenly went for three weeks without eating. I paniced and e-mailed my friend. He said as they get older it is more difficult for them to shed so they sort of go on a diet to help them to slide out of their old skin better...sort of preparing to fit into that special outfit for the class reunion or something.

I must admit that I never even attempt to feed my snakes when they are blue and waiting to shed, although I know other forum members do and some of their snakes eat during this time. I always like it to eating a 5 course meal wearing your tightest pair of jeans - uncomfortable ! And for them to miss a feed is not vital, rather than stress them by offering them a meal when they may feel hungry but not want to eat (if that makes sense )

Dawn, I am so glad Steve is definitely getting ready to shed. Be prepared to wait a few days after he has come out of blue and seems clear...then he will shed. I do hope you get to see it and that it is a full clean shed...something for you to keep to remember how small he was when he was only a baby !

xxx
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 20:06:43
I thought it was strange that Snickers never did anything strange before her shed except to change to blue. The two sheds ago she suddenly went for three weeks without eating. I paniced and e-mailed my friend. He said as they get older it is more difficult for them to shed so they sort of go on a diet to help them to slide out of their old skin better...sort of preparing to fit into that special outfit for the class reunion or something.
quote:

Steve must deffo be getting ready to shed!! this is the 2nd day he hasn't been out, which is so out of character for him!! he has just been curled up either under the substrate or in a tube i put in his viv the other day, i didn't even attempt to feed him yesterday as if he had been interested he would have come out. Fingers crossed it won't be long now.

n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 14:41:55
Steve must deffo be getting ready to shed!! this is the 2nd day he hasn't been out, which is so out of character for him!! he has just been curled up either under the substrate or in a tube i put in his viv the other day, i didn't even attempt to feed him yesterday as if he had been interested he would have come out. Fingers crossed it won't be long now.
n/a Posted - 16/01/2010 : 17:11:02
It's funny that you should say that. My daughter wanted a snake in high school and I cringed everytime I looked at one. I've been surprised at how attached I've gotten to Snickers.
quote:

Hi Mick, my son and me really love him to bits!! never thought i could feel this way about a snake!! surprising really that something so small could give so much pleasure to watch.

n/a Posted - 16/01/2010 : 11:29:50
Hi Mick, my son and me really love him to bits!! never thought i could feel this way about a snake!! surprising really that something so small could give so much pleasure to watch.
LittleMick Posted - 16/01/2010 : 01:46:11
Hi Dawn, welcome to the forum, sounds like all of youand Steve are getting on great.
n/a Posted - 15/01/2010 : 20:36:33
Thanks hun, it would be so lovely to see this happen as we have managed to watch him feed and drink and he is a real inquisitive character, earlier he crawled up my chest and got curled up under my cardigan on my boob!! Lewis thought it was hilarious bless him. Lets hope he has a trouble free shedding!!
Kellog Posted - 15/01/2010 : 20:31:12
quote:

Thanks Sammy, Will keep any eye on him now then, will he go off his food too?

Ps, Sammy i love Twilight, such a beauty. :-)

Sammy is right Dawn. It does sound like Steve is going 'blue' and the timing also sounds about right from when you first saw him. As she said...he will go dull and his eyes will cloud over. During this time their vision is seriously limited and it is best not to handle them while they are like this. After 3 to 4 days this clears up and they look normal again. It can then take anything from 3 days to a week for them to shed.

You have done the right thing moving the water bowl and that is all that you need to do this shed. Once he has shed for the first time you will get a better idea what sort of shedder he is going to be and if he will need more help next time, but hopefully he will shed trouble free.

As far as feeding is concerned it differs between snakes. Some will feed during the time between going blue and shedding, whereas others wont. I know I dont feed mine as I imagine it is a bit like trying to eat a 5 course meal wearing your tightest pair of jeans!! But mine are adults. Offer Steve food on his normal feeding day but dont be surprised if he doesnt take it. Missing a feed during shedding time is not a big deal as he will feed afterwards.

As Sammy said, watch out fo signs of him starting to roam about the viv rubbing his nose against the side and any branches or his hides. When they do it happens FAST!! I do hope you get to see it but dont be surprised if you come down in the morning and find a nice shiny Steve and a shed skin waiting in the viv.

When you remove the shed skin you need to check that the tail bit is accounted for and the eye caps....they are the most important parts. If he has any retained shed you can let us know and we can deal with it as and when it happens.

This is so exciting for you and your son, I bet you both cant wait for the next week to be over!

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000