The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 advice for the amateur....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 02/11/2009 : 14:47:16
hi all,
i'm getting a corn snake in 2-3 weeks, i've always wanted one since i was little and my auntie had one.
i was just wondering if you had any advice to offer me.
i do have one question how often do i clean out the vivarium
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kizzig Posted - 11/11/2009 : 09:22:48
We use a small sandwich box for feeding. We take the snake out of the viv, pop into the box then introduce the food. Once the pinkie has been eaten, and is around half way down the snakes body, we then transfer (very gently and carefully, avoiding the bump) the snake back into the viv.

We use a sandwich size box as ours are only young, we'll need to upgrade the box when they get a little bigger.

Hope this helps!
n/a Posted - 11/11/2009 : 08:39:18
i have another question: when feeding the snakes in an RUB what size do i use and could you explain how to do this e.g do i leave it in the tank or do i take it out. i'm really confused by this so please help!!!
hiper2009 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 15:37:41
Hello and welcome to the forum
HannahB Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:18:22
hey and welcome
lee2308 Posted - 08/11/2009 : 14:05:50
hi and welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 08/11/2009 : 10:45:33
im not that bothered coz all he does is b**ch and moan but my good lady likes to see her father he said hes just going to sit in the car and we have to take our daughter to him all because hes afraid that the snake might have escaped
Kellog Posted - 08/11/2009 : 10:18:08
quote:
Originally posted by rottiedog007

thanks kizzig you've put her mind at rest and shes now actually looking foreward to getting our latest addition and i found out today that my father-in-law wont come in the house when we get our corn snake in 2 weeks

Is that good or bad about no father-in-law visits once the snake is in the house?

xxx
n/a Posted - 07/11/2009 : 19:34:04
thanks kizzig you've put her mind at rest and shes now actually looking foreward to getting our latest addition and i found out today that my father-in-law wont come in the house when we get our corn snake in 2 weeks
kizzig Posted - 07/11/2009 : 18:35:24
Lol, stars!
kizzig Posted - 07/11/2009 : 18:34:35
Our two strike while in the viv fairly often, but bite rarely. We've both been bitten, it doesn't really hurt when they're hatchlings.
Ziggy has drawn a little blood, including this morning... However, he's a little moody because he's in blue, so we'll let him off!
It's only a tiny stinging sensation and a small pin***** of blood when they're little, but will probably hurt if they bite when they're adults!
KITTYCAT Posted - 07/11/2009 : 17:18:01
I wouldnt advize microwaving i have tried this method only for 10 second and the mouse exploded and my did it stink n make a mess.
i defrost mine for a couple of hours then i either do as has been said b4 with the sandwich bag or i place in a tub on top of the radiator for 15 mins if they happen to be on.
n/a Posted - 07/11/2009 : 17:03:18
as young snake how often would it strike/bite at me when handling as my partner is worried that its going to hurt and would it draw blood if it does bite at all
gingerpony Posted - 03/11/2009 : 22:24:20
heya and welcome
n/a Posted - 03/11/2009 : 18:19:47
Another option that is good for small snakes, and the one that i personally favour, is to use a Mason Cash pottery cat dish.

They are large enough for a snake to get in fully yet shallow enough to not cause a problem when the snake wants to get out. Plus you don't have to fill them all the way so drowning is not an issue. They are also heavy enough to not be tipped by the snake.

They are only a couple of quid from pets at home so are also cheaper than the over price Exo Terra stuff.
n/a Posted - 03/11/2009 : 18:17:33
is the 100g jar a good size lid to use because thats size i have in my kitchin and it seems to be a bit small for any thing and there seems to be an over-hanging lip and i thought that a small snake might get stuck in the lid and drown.
kizzig Posted - 03/11/2009 : 18:11:55
The dish definately looks a bit too deep for a hatchling. The water bowl should be large enough for your snake to get into completely to aid in shedding, but still shallow enough that the snake can get in and out easily.

We're currently using the small Exo-Terra feeding dish as it's a decent size, but shallow. The standard Exo-Terra water dishes are too deep at the moment. Here is the link to the feeding dish - http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/feeding_dish.php
n/a Posted - 03/11/2009 : 17:18:31
quote:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Reptile-Snake-Water-Feeding-Bowl-Corner-Design-Medium_W0QQitemZ120481356652QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item1c0d3f9b6c

could anyone tell me if this water bowl is suitable for baby snakes if not what would be suitable?

Too large for a hatchling (baby snake). Do you have a jar of this at home? http://www.douwe-egberts.co.uk/SiteCollectionImages/Le%20Cafe%20Gold.jpg

If so, take the lid, separate the plastic part from the glass and get rid of the plastic. The glass part you are left with is your water bowl for the hatchling: it's heavy enough for the snake not to be able to turn it over, and large enough for a baby snake.

Re twitching the mouse in the vid: that vid is there for educational purposes, not for entertainment. Assume that what you see is intended to assist you in learning how to feed your own snake, but if in doubt, try a search in YouTube for clips that show feedings. No way to know if what you'll find will be reliable of course, but since they are in YouTube then possibly they are intended to show off.

n/a Posted - 03/11/2009 : 16:03:07
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Reptile-Snake-Water-Feeding-Bowl-Corner-Design-Medium_W0QQitemZ120481356652QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item1c0d3f9b6c

could anyone tell me if this water bowl is suitable for baby snakes if not what would be suitable?
kizzig Posted - 03/11/2009 : 15:34:48
quote:
in the video on the care sheet it shows the snake being fed but the owner twitching the mouse is this a must do thing or do you just do this to show off!! or does it help with the natural striking insticnt so to do this every feed?

Wiggling the mouse helps with the natural strike instinct, but some snakes will eat without wiggling the food. It's best to try both ways and you can find out which your snake prefers.
n/a Posted - 03/11/2009 : 13:56:36
thanks guys all your tips are very helpful
in the video on the care sheet it shows the snake being fed but the owner twitching the mouse is this a must do thing or do you just do this to show off!! or does it help with the natural striking insticnt so to do this every feed?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000