The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Were having a corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 16/09/2009 : 00:20:54
Thats what eldest Son told me on saturday apparently daddy said so...thats ok then lol
I dont mind, I held my first corn a few years back and was hooked
Anyway...Eldest son is 12 going on 32, knows it all! But Id rather be sure of things BEFORE I allow my kids to have any pets.
I bought a viv, its length 82cm, depth 35cm, height 48cm...Id post a pic if I knew how <ggg> I realise this is better suited to a larger rather than smaller corn. Im pretty clear on subtrates, water, hides foliage and settling in..its the heating Im not sure on.
The viv is glass, with a very heavy wooden hood, which drops over the whole top...this is hinged to allow access, the bottom of the glass sits inside a wooden base...ornamental on the outside with a plywood bottom. If I use a heat mat does this go under the whole lot? or between glass and base? What watt does the mat need to be...and what do I need to control the temp?
Thanks
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KITTYCAT Posted - 19/09/2009 : 17:42:07
hi there welcome to the forum
HannahB Posted - 19/09/2009 : 13:19:05
hey and welcome

for that sort of viv i think you would have to raise it so there is a flow of air between the glass and the heatmat so it doesnt crack or anything.. I think a small book under each corner would be fine
n/a Posted - 19/09/2009 : 12:56:53
quote:
Originally posted by Flatpack63

Hiya and welcome to the friendlist forum on the web.
One question: How big is the snake you are getting, as that viv would be a bit too big for a hatchling?

Were getting a hatchling, but will be using a plastic faunarium to start.
Although it will be a while before its ready for this viv I want to start getting together what I need, bit by bit...thats if I dont end up using the viv for something else <ggg>
Flatpack63 Posted - 19/09/2009 : 11:44:37
Hiya and welcome to the friendlist forum on the web.
One question: How big is the snake you are getting, as that viv would be a bit too big for a hatchling?
n/a Posted - 17/09/2009 : 14:51:31
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/rachelh881/viv2.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/rachelh881/viv1.jpg

I hope the link works.
matty18714 Posted - 17/09/2009 : 14:17:13
Hi and welcome. If the mat is going to be pinned between wood and glass with no air flow, it could cause the glass to crack or possibly a fire. I dont think i=I have seen the type of housing you have before, can you take a photo? There is a guide to posting photos in the photo section.
Remmy Posted - 17/09/2009 : 11:17:53
Hi and welcome
Kellog Posted - 16/09/2009 : 23:10:19
Hi and welcome MissPiggy. You have found a great forum to come to for advice and support. There are lots of snake owners willing to share their experience and no question is regarded as a silly question. So glad you are doing all this research before you get your snake, so many just go out and buy without thinking. You will also find that you make friends here and have lots of fun! xxx
Brookestar Posted - 16/09/2009 : 22:32:03
hi and welcome
gingerpony Posted - 16/09/2009 : 22:04:01
heya and welcome
Stumpy Posted - 16/09/2009 : 02:39:51
Welcome to the forum.
Ge a mat that is bigger than 11 watts.
I used an 11 watt mat on two of my glass vivs and both the snakes escaped to a hotter area, when I increased the mat size they seemed happy.
n/a Posted - 16/09/2009 : 01:01:48
hi and welcome to the forum.i personally cant answer your question about the matt wattage but being a wooden base the matt will probably goe inside the viv.and you will definately need a thermostat controler.look up a company called triple888reptiles who supply most things and are reliable.the other members of the forum will give you good advice.
n/a Posted - 16/09/2009 : 00:52:14
Hi, welcome to the site.

With glass vivariums the heat mat goes underneath the glass floor and it is generally recommended to have a small air gap between the mat and the glass so as not to crack the tank.

Any wattage of heat mat is fine as long as the mat is 1/3rd to half the length of the tank to allow the snake to have a warm half and cold half.

To control the temperature you need a thermostat, they can be picked up for about 20 pounds for a basic on off mat stat, or you could get a more steady temperature from a pulse proportional thermostat for about 35 - 40 pounds. It is really up to you... just remember that dimming thermostats are NOT suitable for heat mats.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000