Were having a corn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  00:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats what eldest Son told me on saturday apparently daddy said so...thats ok then lol
I dont mind, I held my first corn a few years back and was hooked
Anyway...Eldest son is 12 going on 32, knows it all! But Id rather be sure of things BEFORE I allow my kids to have any pets.
I bought a viv, its length 82cm, depth 35cm, height 48cm...Id post a pic if I knew how <ggg> I realise this is better suited to a larger rather than smaller corn. Im pretty clear on subtrates, water, hides foliage and settling in..its the heating Im not sure on.
The viv is glass, with a very heavy wooden hood, which drops over the whole top...this is hinged to allow access, the bottom of the glass sits inside a wooden base...ornamental on the outside with a plywood bottom. If I use a heat mat does this go under the whole lot? or between glass and base? What watt does the mat need to be...and what do I need to control the temp?
Thanks

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  00:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, welcome to the site.

With glass vivariums the heat mat goes underneath the glass floor and it is generally recommended to have a small air gap between the mat and the glass so as not to crack the tank.

Any wattage of heat mat is fine as long as the mat is 1/3rd to half the length of the tank to allow the snake to have a warm half and cold half.

To control the temperature you need a thermostat, they can be picked up for about 20 pounds for a basic on off mat stat, or you could get a more steady temperature from a pulse proportional thermostat for about 35 - 40 pounds. It is really up to you... just remember that dimming thermostats are NOT suitable for heat mats.

Edited by - n/a on 16/09/2009 01:08:10
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  01:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum.i personally cant answer your question about the matt wattage but being a wooden base the matt will probably goe inside the viv.and you will definately need a thermostat controler.look up a company called triple888reptiles who supply most things and are reliable.the other members of the forum will give you good advice.
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  02:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum.
Ge a mat that is bigger than 11 watts.
I used an 11 watt mat on two of my glass vivs and both the snakes escaped to a hotter area, when I increased the mat size they seemed happy.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  22:04:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  22:32:03  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  23:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome MissPiggy. You have found a great forum to come to for advice and support. There are lots of snake owners willing to share their experience and no question is regarded as a silly question. So glad you are doing all this research before you get your snake, so many just go out and buy without thinking. You will also find that you make friends here and have lots of fun! xxx

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2009 :  11:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2009 :  14:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. If the mat is going to be pinned between wood and glass with no air flow, it could cause the glass to crack or possibly a fire. I dont think i=I have seen the type of housing you have before, can you take a photo? There is a guide to posting photos in the photo section.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2009 :  14:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/rachelh881/viv2.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/rachelh881/viv1.jpg

I hope the link works.

Chip 0.0.1
Kit 0.1.0 retired greyhound
1.0.0 rooster cogburn
0.0.1 X3 hens, Milly. Molly, Mandy
Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  11:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome to the friendlist forum on the web.
One question: How big is the snake you are getting, as that viv would be a bit too big for a hatchling?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  12:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flatpack63

Hiya and welcome to the friendlist forum on the web.
One question: How big is the snake you are getting, as that viv would be a bit too big for a hatchling?

Were getting a hatchling, but will be using a plastic faunarium to start.
Although it will be a while before its ready for this viv I want to start getting together what I need, bit by bit...thats if I dont end up using the viv for something else <ggg>

Chip 0.0.1
Kit 0.1.0 retired greyhound
1.0.0 rooster cogburn
0.0.1 X3 hens, Milly. Molly, Mandy
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  13:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

for that sort of viv i think you would have to raise it so there is a flow of air between the glass and the heatmat so it doesnt crack or anything.. I think a small book under each corner would be fine

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  17:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page