The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 1st corn snake, stays dead still??????

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 10/08/2009 : 21:33:51
hi we have had our corn snake (ultramel motley) for 24 hours now, it our first time ever to have any type of reptile.
after having him out for a while he stops moving all together and keeps really really still, you can just see his little body breathing, just tonight he curled up on my lap and never moved for about an hour till i moved!! is this normal and is he ok??????????
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KITTYCAT Posted - 15/08/2009 : 17:18:54
nice snake and welcome. Let him settle for a few days.my snow corn likes to curl up nice and still on my arm she has always been a very calm and relaxed snake she likes the heat of my body mind snakes take the heat from their belly.My other snake never sits still.You might just have a nice calm snake though it is still pretty young in time it will develop its own personality just persivere n only handle for short periods to start with. goodluck
hillzi Posted - 14/08/2009 : 11:00:31
you learn by asking questions and if you go ahead and state something and someone can give you tips, and/or another pointer, then you will learn that way too

Not to be afraid, no bashing on here only in the politest ways possible..

That's very good advice Taz, best to handle her after a week of settling in only changing the decor around every couple of days and the water; handle her for 5 minutes every day for a week then upto 10.. then upto 15... My snake is never out for more than half an hour daily, only leave him in the blue and 2 days after feeding.
n/a Posted - 14/08/2009 : 10:38:33
very true kellog ive had snakes for a few years now and still learning new things:)
Kellog Posted - 13/08/2009 : 21:44:00
quote:
Originally posted by Remmy

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Thanks Remmy, still very wary about giving advice cos I know I have a lot to learn but have also learnt a lot already from the forum. Know that if I say something wrong I will be corrected fast and will appreciate the correction - these mods are great at giving advice and keeping an eye on advice given by others! xxx

Dont be wary about giving advice, most of us on here are still learning. Advise, personnel opinium or personnel experience, it all helps others.

Thanks Remmy, nice to have encouragement and would like to get as involved as I can in forum. Everyone was such a help to me in the beginning and I am sure that help will continue cos I know I have lots still to learn. Just getting replies to your cry for help is a big help, knowing people are reading your question and understanding what you are going through..... xxx
Remmy Posted - 13/08/2009 : 21:18:32
quote:
Originally posted by matn9111

i was not quit that lucky on his fist toilet time it happened in my hand and fell on the carpet!!!
fed him for the 1st time yesterday witch was interesting to watch, he likes to go under his water bowl a lot and doesn't seem to stay in his little rock house the heat mat side very often, could the heat mat be to hot?

What is the temp in the warm end? Apart from the 2 days after eating my 2 spend about 70% of the time in the cool hides.
Remmy Posted - 13/08/2009 : 21:15:41
quote:

Thanks Remmy, still very wary about giving advice cos I know I have a lot to learn but have also learnt a lot already from the forum. Know that if I say something wrong I will be corrected fast and will appreciate the correction - these mods are great at giving advice and keeping an eye on advice given by others! xxx

Dont be wary about giving advice, most of us on here are still learning. Advise, personnel opinium or personnel experience, it all helps others.
n/a Posted - 13/08/2009 : 18:43:30
hay thanks, you got to get one but he's not an adult the little fella only two months old!!!!!!!1
n/a Posted - 13/08/2009 : 18:40:57
Hi and welcome lovely little snake u have there.....would like an adult ultramel myself:)
HannahB Posted - 12/08/2009 : 21:30:44
they tend to go into the hot end as and when they need to..mont doesnt travel into the warm end very often except for when hes eaten
n/a Posted - 12/08/2009 : 20:44:51
i was not quit that lucky on his fist toilet time it happened in my hand and fell on the carpet!!!
fed him for the 1st time yesterday witch was interesting to watch, he likes to go under his water bowl a lot and doesn't seem to stay in his little rock house the heat mat side very often, could the heat mat be to hot?
Stumpy Posted - 11/08/2009 : 23:45:50
I had Sid out yesterday and in the garden.
He was moving around quite normally then stopped, This is a sign I know as he started to raise his tail.
I made sure it was clear of me and my clothing and he did his bowel movement ( you know what I mean), it dropped in the garden, I then returned him to his viv, no need to clean it this time.
HannahB Posted - 11/08/2009 : 22:38:03
sounds like the people above me have already given all the info i could offer you...lol
welcome btw... your snake is stunning
n/a Posted - 11/08/2009 : 17:33:46
Welcome to the forum, and heed the sound advice, as Taz has said. Little and often, gentle but firm, no sudden movements and dont forget to cleanse your hands before and after you handle snakey. Good husbandry is key to rep keeping as I'm sure others will agree.
Taz Devil Posted - 11/08/2009 : 14:17:30
Hello and welcome to the forums. Like you I have only been a snake keeper since June. I originally put my corn into a RUB and left her to her own devices for an entire week, I changed the water daily and moved bits and bobs around so that she got out and about to explore her new surroundings.

I fed her 2 weeks after having her and now feed her every thursday so that she has time to digest ready for me handling her on Saturday night.

I originally had her out for about 5 mins a day, and have increased this by 5 mins every week since.

The best advice I have been given is:-

When going to handle her make sure you do it away from the head and just get a hold and remove her from the tank/RUB/Viv, try to avoid going in and pulling your hand away sharply if spooked as this not onnly makes you nervous but the snake as well.
lucifer Posted - 11/08/2009 : 14:07:45
Welcome to the forums, nice looking snakey.

Like others have said give the little guy at least a week to settle in before you handle him, also bare in mind you shouldn't handle him for 48 hours after a feed or when he is about to shed (as they become partially blind).
CAL Posted - 11/08/2009 : 13:50:21
Monty generally, slithers around for bit, then stays dead still (almost like he's watching tv), slithers around a bit more and then looks for somewhere to hide. He's been doing that for years.
Brookestar Posted - 11/08/2009 : 11:58:58
hi and wlecome. hope you sort everything out. nice snake btw. amel motley?
Kellog Posted - 11/08/2009 : 11:24:51
Remmy Posted - 11/08/2009 : 09:47:19
quote:

What also helps is, although you are leaving him alone, keep changing his water each day and straightening his substrate....that way your smell gets into his viv naturally and he becomes used to your hand being in there. Respect his space and dont go anywhere near him to begin with. It just takes time and patience. When you do take him out I would definitely only do it for short periods of time, like 15mins, so he can get used to it - an hour out of his viv must have been very stressful for him at the moment. You can build up the time of handling as you and he get used to each other. Not sure if this is the right advice but am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, which is the great thing about this forum! Welcome, by the way. xxx

Good advice Kellog
Kellog Posted - 11/08/2009 : 02:30:30
What also helps is, although you are leaving him alone, keep changing his water each day and straightening his substrate....that way your smell gets into his viv naturally and he becomes used to your hand being in there. Respect his space and dont go anywhere near him to begin with. It just takes time and patience. When you do take him out I would definitely only do it for short periods of time, like 15mins, so he can get used to it - an hour out of his viv must have been very stressful for him at the moment. You can build up the time of handling as you and he get used to each other. Not sure if this is the right advice but am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, which is the great thing about this forum! Welcome, by the way. xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000