The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Minerva Posted - 08/03/2011 : 21:14:21
Hi all!

I know i'm going to sound ridiculously stupid now but hey, you dont learn anything unless you say you know nothing!

I am a very keen animal lover and have always wanted a snake. A friend of mine advertised her corn snake on facebook the other day as needing to be rehomed due to her not having the time/commitment anymore so I jusmped at the chance!

She said it came with its home and everything so I eagerly went to collect it yesterday, only to find it in a plastic box like the ones people store their rubbish in the attic and its hiding place is a small clear ice cream tub. There is a heat mat but not regulated and no thermostat at all!

She cant remember if it is 3 or 4 years old, has never got it sexed so doesnt know if its male or female.

Now I am the first to say I know nothing about caring for a snake but I did know that this seemed a bit strange!

I have already been to buy a new hideout and ordered a vivarium for it. I'll go out tomorrow and buy a second hideout and a thermostat now that I have read all the good advice on here on how to care for it etc! Much appreciated!!

I have left it alone since getting it home as I figured it would have been stressed by the move and am just curious as to whether it is best to get it straight into its new vivarium or wait until a few days have passed and let it settle in first?

Is there any other immediate advice anyone can offer someone that may not know a thing but is clever enough to know that!

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
thistle Posted - 11/03/2011 : 00:47:21
Hi!

Welcome to the forum.
Minerva Posted - 10/03/2011 : 22:52:07
Thanks guys,

I bought a thermostat and thermometer, I also got some new sustrate as the guy in the shop said that what I was given isnt the right thing.

I got it a bigger water bowl that it can bath in if it feels the need! It seems to be a lot happier now, having a good nose about, found its way to his new hideout etc. Compared to spending the last few days hidden away in his Ice Cream tub i'm really pleased!

The Vivarium isnt ready yet which is a shame! But hopefully it will be ready to collect over the weekend :-)
Mort13 Posted - 10/03/2011 : 00:17:45
Hi and welcome.
gingerpony Posted - 09/03/2011 : 14:37:10
heya and welcome
HannahB Posted - 09/03/2011 : 14:14:47
hey and welcome
ozziesmum Posted - 09/03/2011 : 09:43:22
Hi and welcome :)
catwig Posted - 09/03/2011 : 00:11:40
Hiya and welcome
Invalid User Posted - 08/03/2011 : 22:16:55
Hi and welcome to the forum
sparkaly Posted - 08/03/2011 : 22:14:26
Hi and Welcome
gmac Posted - 08/03/2011 : 22:09:15
hi and welcome,

you will have to seal the viv first with an aquarium sealant or similar then wait a couple of days then put your snake into its new home.

mikeyd_26 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 21:53:14
hi and welcome to the forum :)
i'd personaly turn the heatmat off and get a thermostat asap just to make sure no accidents happen.
also plastic storage boxes are fine for snakes as long as there the right size and well ventalated

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000