The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 hi im new

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 24/10/2010 : 17:31:54
i have just brought a 3ft wooden vivarium with front opening glass doors
it has a bayonet fitting for a light but not sure what wattage i need for my new corn snake when i get it plus will i still need a heat mat if i use the light please help me im a first time snake owner.i need all the help i can get.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 26/10/2010 : 00:57:45
RESULT!
Kehhlyr Posted - 26/10/2010 : 00:48:09
On the plus side, dimming stats tend to be a bit more pricey than pulse prop stats so if it was in the wrong box, then bonus.
lotabob Posted - 26/10/2010 : 00:23:59
Oh I do hate admitting been wrong almost as much as I hate been wrong but I have a dimming stat not a pulse proportional stat. Right stat wrong box, confused me!!! It is clearly printed on the front and back of the stat that it is a dimming stat but the eeejit who sold me it put it in the wrong box. So pulse proportionate stats may very well flash the bulb like a tiny snake disco, mine does not as it is a dimming stat. Dim comes to mind, :).
ryanred5 Posted - 25/10/2010 : 17:29:23
What does your new viv setup come with?
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 17:02:16
ive decided to buy a full vivarium set up now as its too confusing lol, but i know it has all it needs with one im getting ill just use the 3ft viv for a new baby beardie lol. but thank you all so much for your advice and tips
ryanred5 Posted - 25/10/2010 : 05:40:41
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

I know a super lady with some amazing hatchlings for sale....at good prices!

I also know a great guy who has some lovely Bloodred hatchlings for sale (I know cos I have one). If your interested the ad is in the sale section on here.
herriotfan Posted - 24/10/2010 : 23:13:57
I have 3 foot vivs and I use light bulbs as my heat source controlled by thermostats and monitored with digital thermometres.
I use a Comptons 60w red/green or yellow bulb (just depends what colour you fancy) and it is controlled with a Habistat dimming thermostat 600w. I turn the dial on the thermostat to 28c and the light will fade up and down to keep the temps stable. I use a digital thermometre to make sure the stat is working correctly and keep an eye on the temps.
I would recommend this to anyone who prefers to use a bulb.
Hope that is clear and answers your questions re watts/colours etc, etc.
Look forward to seeing photos of your new snake. Do you know where you will get it from, I know a super lady with some amazing hatchlings for sale....at good prices!
lotabob Posted - 24/10/2010 : 22:00:40
I use a pulse stat as it was reccommended (surprise surprise) and the wattage means it only dimms the bulb by a very small amount to maintain the required temperature. It is definitely doing the job even if its not the exact stat designed specifically for bulbs. If it kills off the odd bulb I can live with that and as yet I haven't decided as to whether the bulb only method of heating is right for my viv. But thats my call and as yet it seems to be doing the job just fine and my snake is happy, calm and healthy which is the MOST important thing to me.
chrish Posted - 24/10/2010 : 21:43:11
A pulse stat should'nt be used on a normal incandescant lamp, it will shorten the life of the lamp dramatically. It sends out pulses of electricity, effectivly short and sharp on/off bursts to keep the set heat. A dimming stat sends out a continuous supply of electricity but with a variable voltage dependant on what the dimmer is set to...
chrish Posted - 24/10/2010 : 21:34:14
I wouldnt reccomend using a normal lamp as your only heat source as you would need it on 24/7 to maintain the correct temperatures, snakes like night time as much as we do! As for hatchlings not being able to reach the lamp i strongly disagree, they can get anywhere they want to if they are determined enough!
lotabob Posted - 24/10/2010 : 21:30:07
I have the habistat pulse proportional thermostat on a light and it doesnt flicker, not even a little bit right through its dimming range.
gmac Posted - 24/10/2010 : 21:25:48
a pulse stat is not a dimming stat and should not be used for lights as it sounds it is a pulse that goes through to the heating medium so if you using a pulse on lights there may well be a flickering. A dimming thermostat should be used for lights.
lotabob Posted - 24/10/2010 : 21:21:24
I'm only new to snakes myself and I read so much contradictory info it was ridiculous,even the pet shop has toldme things I dont think are right. Best thing to do is start with what you already have, you have the light fitting so go with that first, 60 watt normal bulb, easily picked up anywhere, 2 thermometers, one in cold end one in hot in the same place as the stat probe, pulse stat are about £45-£50 but I got mine on ebay for £30 so doesnt have to cost the earth. You do need to guard the bulb but to be honest hatchlings cant reach the bulb if your viv furniture is placed sensibly and they can get through the holes in the guard so pretty pointless at the start. if you cant hit the temperatures you want then consider a mat either instead or a bit like a electric blanket to help the bulb along, I dont need one yet but its getting colder at night and I'm keeping an eye on temperatures overnight.
n/a Posted - 24/10/2010 : 21:08:30
cheers for that i dont plan to get the snake till my vivvy is totally right hense why im in the forums trying to get other peoples views on whats gonna be best.
lotabob Posted - 24/10/2010 : 21:06:00
A pulse proportionate (dimming) thermostat (stat) will dim ANY wattage of bulb upto its maximum capability, for instance my stat can handle 600 Watts max, in theory I could put a 600 Watt bulb in my Viv but the stat will dim that bulb to only the required amount of light/heat to sustain the tempertature that I have set the stat to. I find a 60 Watt normal spotlight bulb does the job and is only very very slighly dimmed when it reaches the desired temperature, if the stat is constantly and heavily dimming the bulb its too powerful, if its never reaching the desired temperature its not powerful enough. But the wattage is not the most important factor, temperature is. I aim and for the best part achieve a temperature of 23 degrees in the cold end and 29 degrees in the hot end during the day, and then at night the temperatures generally drop to about 20 in the cold end and 22 in the hot end.

And yes ALWAYS stat your heat source, unless you fancy a snake BBQ. Also get digital thermometers, the dial ones are rubbish.

Try it with just a bulb for a day and monitor the temperature especially through the night, if its dropping below 20 degrees an alternate heat source will be needed to keep them warm through the night. You have the added bonus of not having a snake in there just yet so you get to practice. My set up took 1 day to monitor and fine tune with the stat.
chrish Posted - 24/10/2010 : 20:57:55
Yes you should always use a stat, personally if i was going down that route i would get a 60w.
gmac Posted - 24/10/2010 : 20:56:49
stats are essential, for lights your best with dimmer stat, for ceramics a dimmer or pulse stat and for a mat a matstat or pulse is the best,
n/a Posted - 24/10/2010 : 20:49:20
not confused lol just trying to find what other people think who have had snakes for a while as this will be my first snake, and i just want whats best
n/a Posted - 24/10/2010 : 20:45:27
so a 40 watt che wud do fine for a corn snake?? and would i still need a stat?
Tiffany-x Posted - 24/10/2010 : 20:44:35
A mat is so so simple! Basically you put it on the floor on one side covering between a third to a half of the floor. Plug it in to a stat and bam! :P It really couldnt be simpler. But just ask away as far as questions go if you still arent too sure because I personally think mats are easier, its down to personal preferance but most people use mats therefore information on here about them is far more plentiful, and they are easier I believe as far as temperature control is concerned. If you look on General Keeping Information section there is a sticky thread about how to set up a corn and I believe that shows how a mat should be set up. I hope Im helping and not confusing you! :P
Tiffany-x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000