Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  17:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just brought a 3ft wooden vivarium with front opening glass doors
it has a bayonet fitting for a light but not sure what wattage i need for my new corn snake when i get it plus will i still need a heat mat if i use the light please help me im a first time snake owner.i need all the help i can get.

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  17:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
its up to you as to whether you use a light or a heat mat.. personally id use a heat mat but thats just me, if you do use a heat mat make sure you get a stat for it so it doesnt over heat and burn your snake
dont forget to get a lock for the doors - corns can push them open given the opportunity!
have you got your snake yet? if so dont forget to post pics in the picture section

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  17:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your reply not got my snake yetim trying to get vivarium ready first!!! and if i use heat mat where do i put it? as ive read so many diff books and they say stick it to inside of wall some say underneath and others say on top of vivvy!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  17:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both of the heat sources you mention both require stats to provide temperature control.

If you choose to use a light source to provide heat, using an Infra red bulb is handy as you don't have a white light on permanently, you also need to have a light guard fitted if using a bulb.

and welcome to the forum

edit:

the mat should take up at least a 1/3 of the base of your viv, and placed on the base at one end.

Edited by - gmac on 24/10/2010 18:01:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  18:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wht wattage of infra red buld have to be?????
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  18:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum!

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  18:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doesnt really matter as long as your stat can manage it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  18:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a 50w or 75w be ok???? and where the best place to buy all this from as ebay is rubbish reli for things like this????
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  18:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
both should be fine, there is triple 8 and bluelizrdreptiles thats just a couple there are more if you look around for online rep stores

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  18:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
`thank you and any more tips or advice will be much appreciated
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:01:41  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think you should give BlueLizardReptiles a good look, I havent purchased anything from them but I have realised they are probably the cheapest I have found and are very helpful and I have heard from a lot of people that they are very reliable as far as delivery etc goes and I will be buying everything from them.

PLEASE NOTE: This is my OPINION!!
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, would you know wat wattage ceramic heating buld i should get???????
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:29:29  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I dont really know anything about heating via bulbs because Im planning on using mats because as far as Im concerned they are easier. But Im sure someone will come along soon who can help you. Is there any reason you want to use a bulb rather than mat? :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i have a 3ft wooden viv and for safety reasons id rather use a bulb as have no idea where to put the mat lol
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mat goes on the floor of the viv under a bit of substrate. As for ceramics it doesnt matter on the wattage as long as its stated.

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:44:35  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A mat is so so simple! Basically you put it on the floor on one side covering between a third to a half of the floor. Plug it in to a stat and bam! :P It really couldnt be simpler. But just ask away as far as questions go if you still arent too sure because I personally think mats are easier, its down to personal preferance but most people use mats therefore information on here about them is far more plentiful, and they are easier I believe as far as temperature control is concerned. If you look on General Keeping Information section there is a sticky thread about how to set up a corn and I believe that shows how a mat should be set up. I hope Im helping and not confusing you! :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so a 40 watt che wud do fine for a corn snake?? and would i still need a stat?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not confused lol just trying to find what other people think who have had snakes for a while as this will be my first snake, and i just want whats best
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stats are essential, for lights your best with dimmer stat, for ceramics a dimmer or pulse stat and for a mat a matstat or pulse is the best,

Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you should always use a stat, personally if i was going down that route i would get a 60w.

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  21:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pulse proportionate (dimming) thermostat (stat) will dim ANY wattage of bulb upto its maximum capability, for instance my stat can handle 600 Watts max, in theory I could put a 600 Watt bulb in my Viv but the stat will dim that bulb to only the required amount of light/heat to sustain the tempertature that I have set the stat to. I find a 60 Watt normal spotlight bulb does the job and is only very very slighly dimmed when it reaches the desired temperature, if the stat is constantly and heavily dimming the bulb its too powerful, if its never reaching the desired temperature its not powerful enough. But the wattage is not the most important factor, temperature is. I aim and for the best part achieve a temperature of 23 degrees in the cold end and 29 degrees in the hot end during the day, and then at night the temperatures generally drop to about 20 in the cold end and 22 in the hot end.

And yes ALWAYS stat your heat source, unless you fancy a snake BBQ. Also get digital thermometers, the dial ones are rubbish.

Try it with just a bulb for a day and monitor the temperature especially through the night, if its dropping below 20 degrees an alternate heat source will be needed to keep them warm through the night. You have the added bonus of not having a snake in there just yet so you get to practice. My set up took 1 day to monitor and fine tune with the stat.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000