The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 hi there am new to snakes and need some advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sarahw Posted - 01/10/2010 : 19:33:21
i have just rehomed a 2 year old corn snake on friday(yesterday)
we thought we would let him settle in peace and this eve opened his vivarium and he decided to strike out at us and even when we shut the glass doors! he was also shaking his tail(quite like a rattlesnake)
he was fine when we all handled him yesterday at the previous owners house
and he has always fed and shed well and been healthy

so we are now wondering what to do now and what the best course of action would be?
the snake is my sons pet after he recently became obsessed with them following a visit to a safari park where we all held one
and he is quite gutted the snake has down this
any info would be gratefully eceived
thanks
sarah
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 13/10/2010 : 02:06:19
So glad he is improving with getting him out of the viv. Remember that you have only just had him a fortnight....and the fact that during that time not only has he had to get over the stress of the move and get used to you, but he has also been 'blue'....which has probably contributed a lot to his reaction (as his vision is still compromised even once his eyes have cleared, until he sheds). But the fact he has been so happy to be handled once out of the viv, despite being 'blue' is really positive.

You are getting there with him and seeing signs of improvement already, just give him time .

(have replied in Sonic's thread about shedding issue )

xxx
sarahw Posted - 12/10/2010 : 09:34:49
hi kellog
he is getting there with handeling,on his first day on sunday there were alot of strikes, yesterday not so many, once i put him back he was there for a few hours and wi got him out so my son could see him after school and he didnt strike at all, and sat with my son for ages, we also seehim alot more out of his hides as previously he was in them all the time, i have just checked on him this morning and noticed that there was some shed skin not alot though and he still has some attatched about 2 inchs from his head i have tried to get some photos to try and show this, shall i just leave him to it, when i first got him out on sunday i noticed he had the odd bit of skin here and there on his scales so guessed he prob wasnt shedding properly so got a damp towel and let him go through it and they come off, so wondering if to do that again.
i had no idea he was about to start shedding as not nticed his eyes go blue and he has been fine to handle
Kellog Posted - 12/10/2010 : 04:31:16
As far as defrosting is concerned, because it is a mouse and not a pinkie, it is better to defrost naturally rather than quickly in hot water....that way you can be sure that it is fully defrosted and there are no ice crystals left. I take my mice out the night before and leave them somewhere cool, then feed my snakes in the morning. I would THINK that you only need a few hours, depending on what size mouse he is on.

I weigh both of mine immediately before each feed (making sure I dont have any mouse smell on me!). I use digital scales, put a shoebox with air holes on it and zero it, remove the lid and add the snake, replace the lid and there you have the snakes weight (or you can weigh the box, take it off the scales and put the snake in it, weigh them together and then subtract the weight of the box....whichever you prefer).

It certainly sounds as though you have a good feeder, which is great! I think it is definitely a case of as soon as he has got a hold of his dinner move away !

You say that the mouse does not leave a big bump in him once he has swallowed it....what size mouse is it and how often are you feeding him? It will also be easier to judge what he should be on once his weight is known....although you should only use his weight as a guide to what he should be feeding on, its all down to knowing your snake and what he needs.

I honestly think it will just be a case of patience, being calm and being gentle with him and hopefully he will stop the striking out when you go to get him out of the viv (de ja vu moment!! Think I've already said this in Sonic's introduction )....so just give him time. The fact that his previous owner's 12yr old son used to pick him up out of the viv and he was striking then makes me wonder how well he was handled , so it may just be giving him the time to realise that you are not going to treat him like he is used to being treated.

xxx
sarahw Posted - 08/10/2010 : 17:30:41
right so the day has come to feed sonic, i defrosted his mouse in hot water for 10 mins as i read on here it was a good way to defrost them.
silly question thou how can you tell its defrosted?
anyway i waved the mouse in front of sonic and he decided to strike at it twice the second time was alot harder slashing blood up the side of the viv! he then curled up around it tightly and decided to srike out at me, think he was warning me off his food!
so now im thinking we may still have trouble getting him out with all this striking he does, i really want to measure him and weigh him to make sure he is having enough food and the mouse does not seem to leave a big bump in him once he has swollowed it.
i may have toget him out with gloves on!
the person who had him before said their 12 year old boy used to go in his viv and pick him up straight away but she said he has stiked out at her and bit her before so im thinking he may be a bit defensive of his viv
will keep you posted on sunday how he was being handled
Kellog Posted - 07/10/2010 : 10:08:30
quote:
Originally posted by sarahw

........the baby mice seem to big to be eaten by a baby snake i think its amazing how they feed

If you think that is amazing just wait until Sonic moves onto the bigger prey....then you really wont believe that he will be able to get the mouse down , but he will!

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/10/2010 : 01:34:33
HelloOandCwelcomeTtoOthePforum,UenjoySyour stay.
sarahw Posted - 05/10/2010 : 22:17:03
sonic is definatly not a normal corn snake then as he is completely different from loki
cant wait to get some photos of him so people on here can see him, would like to know what he is
Mort13 Posted - 05/10/2010 : 17:10:24
Hi,thanks. Loki is a normal. Heh,heh torture isn't it. You'll soon have him out and then you probably won't be able to stop taking photos! Look forward to seeing him.
Its amazing watching them feed,the kids love to see it too. Can't imagine Loki feeding on anything bigger at the mo!
sarahw Posted - 05/10/2010 : 14:13:59
thanks mort13
your snakes really cute, lovely colour, not sure what type i have yet cant really tell from tje photos i think hes a normal corn snake, will putting some photos up as soon as he can come out, dont really want to disturb him yet with the camera! cant believe how tiny they are when there babies, i watched your video of loki feeding, the baby mice seem to big to be eaten by a baby snake i think its amazing how they feed
sarahw Posted - 05/10/2010 : 14:07:35
thanks james
Mort13 Posted - 05/10/2010 : 12:36:34
Hi and welcome. I'm another newbie on here.
Your son sounds very much like mine,he's been very patient with the settling in and through the shedding process (he couldn't wait to see Loki's shed skin bless him. He's already said when he's grown up he wants more snakes including a cobra and a reticulated python (think he may change his mind on them when he's older!!) and will no doubt have pet frogs too!!
Good luck on Sunday,hope it all goes well and your son and his snake are happy
sly Posted - 05/10/2010 : 11:54:47
Welcome to the site I am new to the forum hope your snake settles in ok and that u can handle him ok :)
sarahw Posted - 05/10/2010 : 11:36:03
hi kellog
my son likes his sonic ds games so got the name that way he thought it was a cool name, although my 5 year old daughter wants to call him daisy despite us telling her that he is a boy, plus we already have a rat called daisy.
we have quite a few pets now between us, we have had pretty much every furry pet going looks like we will now start with reptiles! and judging by the page with all the different morphs think it will be very likely if my kids ever see it as there are so many lovely looking colours. my son has even asked if you can keep rattlesnakes as pets(better not try that one!)
im quite suprised how well i have taken to him as i never used to like snakes all that much, but can easily see the attraction.
cant wait untill we can hold him, the weeks wait is so long! im sure everyone else on the site will agree how slow the first week is, still its best to let them settle, will be able to get him out on sunday after he has had hes feed on friday
will need a few adjustments to his viv thou as he only has a small water dish which is very light so need to get him a bigger sturdier one plus want to get him a branch and some vines so he has something to climb on, he did come with his hides and heat mat with thermostat so had the mportant stuff but wont hurt making things more interesting for him
sarahw Posted - 05/10/2010 : 11:24:15
hi and thanks for the welcome this site is deffinately the best that i have come accross so much info
n/a Posted - 04/10/2010 : 17:45:16
Hello and welcome! You'll find TONS of useful information on here, this is just about my one stop shop for Corn care. I love it, everyone is nice and helpful. Hope you find the same.
gingerpony Posted - 04/10/2010 : 11:41:15
heya and welcome
Kellog Posted - 04/10/2010 : 03:19:06
quote:
Originally posted by sarahw

........at the moment i have just been doing the suggested water changes daily and straightening out the substrate and making sure the viv is nice and clean and he pokes his head out of hides and sometimes watches me or nips back in so i think hes getting used to me slowly.

my son is very patient so thats good.

........i shall start from now with all of this, will hopefully get to weigh him at some point........

what is the best way to measure how long they are, do you wait untill tey shed to get an idea of their length. he is currently in a 2foot by 1foot by 1foot viv........

your 2 snakes look lovely very nice colours, did not know there was so many different colours for corns

........the one we have now is what i would class as a normal colour corn snake from the colours that i have seen

sarah

Well done for letting Sonic settle in, it sounds as though it is working and that week of waiting will soon be over. It is good that he is taking an interest in what is going on and I am sure he is out exploring while you are fast asleep !

You are very lucky to have a patient son!! I know mine isnt and havent come across many that are ! What a great name your son has chosen for him....I dont think we have another corn called Sonic on the forum.

I am not surprised you dont have any real history on him, not a lot of keepers feel it is necessary....but I am glad you are going to start keeping records, they really are useful (although I do go a bit overboard with mine ).

I use my snakes sheds to get their measurements although this is not very accurate....you need to subtract 10% of the length of the shed to allow for stretching and, of course, you can only do it if you have a full shed. There is a more accurate way to measure your snake's length using a photograph, it is the Snake Measurer, although some of us have come up with other ways to measure our snakes - How to measure your snake.

Thank you for your comments about my snakes , Kellog is a ghost and Silvesta is an anery. If you want to see what kind of morph Sonic might be then you could visit IansVivarium (This site comes with a warning , once you go on to it you will come away with a wish list of all the morphs you have fallen in love with and want to get!) or you could wait until you can put up some pics and see what the experts on here say .

xxx
sullysteve Posted - 03/10/2010 : 14:36:51
Hi Sarah!!

Pics please!!! would live to see him!!
sarahw Posted - 03/10/2010 : 14:20:56
hi kellog
i have read quite a lot on here to do with snakes and its all very informative
at the moment i have just been doing the suggested water changes daily and straightening out the substrate and making sure the viv is nice and clean and he pokes his head out of hides and sometimes watches me or nips back in so i think hes getting used to me slowly.
my son is very patient so thats good
im not sure of his age i was told roughly 2-3 years, dont know his weight or length or shedding info as the previous owner did not keep this info, so i shall start from now with all of this, will hopefully get to weigh him at some point
he is not very big and currently feeds on fuzzy mice.
what is the best way to measure how long they are, do you wait untill tey shed to get an idea of their length. he is currently in a 2foot by 1foot by 1foot viv.

will also try and get pics on here asap depending sonic( my son has now named him)

your 2 snakes look lovely very nice colours, did not know there was so many different colours for corns
i have seen an albino corn, the one we have now is what i would class as a normal colour corn snake from the colours that i have seen
sarah
Kellog Posted - 02/10/2010 : 03:33:25
Hi Sarah, am really glad you have joined us and am sure that we can guide you in the right direction with your new snake! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is Care Sheet helpful. Also have a look at Your 1st snake and Setting Up An Adult Corn Snake - My 101 is worth looking at even if you are not setting up a viv, it gives great information about looking after a snake in general.

Dont worry about thinking it was only the 2 days you needed to leave your snake to settle in. Very few people seem to know that the snake needs longer and even pet shops dont often advise it ! As HannahB has said, the no handling or feeding for the first week allows your snake to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about him not feeding during that week if he is due a feed, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. At least now you know and can give him that chance to destress and hopefully once he has he will begin to behave differently.

When the week is up I would suggest you feed him, leave him for the needed 48hrs and then try to handle him. This thread on Handling Advice may give you some tips on how to start. As it says in it, he will rattle and may even more into a strike position (or even strike)....but put yourself in his position with this great big hand descending on him ! It is just something he has to get used to and soon he will realise that you are not a threat. It really is just a case of being calm and patient....it will take time and your son needs to realise this.

As for the other information you were given....I think that you will find that most of us feed our snakes on a regular schedule depending on their age, either every 5 days/6 days/once a week/every 10 days/once a fortnight. It certainly is a lot easier doing it that way than constantly changing it and to be honest I wouldnt have thought the snake would know the difference! How old and heavy is he? What is he being fed on at the moment?

And the water....I think most of us change our snake's water daily, although it doesnt matter if they go a couple of days without it being changed. Some forum members even use filtered or bottled water....but my snakes get plain old tap water, poor things [;)!!

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . Like the fact that so many shops will sell a snake with a starter set up, but not let you know that you need a thermostat to control the heatmat and a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - How to - Post images using photobucket

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You and your son have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000