The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello All

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bigal Posted - 07/09/2010 : 12:36:28
High all just new to the forum. Posted the following in care section and it was suggested I post here too. Although I have had my snake for two years I still consider myself a novice. As you can see below I would like to set up a new home for "snake" (that's his name). The care sheet is great for general info but if anyone has a VivExotic EX48 or similar I would very much like advice on setting one up to make sure snake continues to live a happy life.
I have a 2 year old corn that is currently happy in his/her 3ft glass terr. I like to provide lots of hiding and climbing stuff so his home is getting a bit crowded. Thinking of getting a 4ft Viv, but can't seem to get a straight answer about the best way to heat it as I would be changing from a glass to wooden enclosure, the latter of which I have no experience of. All views and advice would be welcome.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mowdid Posted - 15/09/2010 : 23:01:46
Hi and Welcome to the forum
Sta~ple Posted - 15/09/2010 : 14:23:13
Hello and welcome, You don't need an ex48, that viv is huuuuuge. I have a lx48 (48in x 15) and one of them fits in their perfectly, for my other adults it's massive for her. Some corns are better off in 3ft vivs, it all kinda depends on the snake and how big the snake and the viv is.

bigal Posted - 11/09/2010 : 07:55:52
Woke up to successful shed this morning Will post some more photos when I get the chance
drchino Posted - 09/09/2010 : 11:48:01
Welcome!
crazy JJ Posted - 09/09/2010 : 00:01:31
heya n welcome :)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 08/09/2010 : 19:07:52
Hi, welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing pics after he's shed.
bigal Posted - 08/09/2010 : 18:57:58
Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. Snake is preparing to shed but when he fininshes will take some photos to post
HannahB Posted - 08/09/2010 : 09:29:51
hey and welcome
gingerpony Posted - 07/09/2010 : 20:26:17
heya and welcome
herriotfan Posted - 07/09/2010 : 15:44:17
I'm sure your snake wouldn't mind if his tank is a bit crowded if he has more to climb and hide in amongst! Or you could just change some of the things he's got so he has a change of scenery every now and then. It would give him something different to explore.
It's quite costly setting up a new vivarium so maybe it's best to stick with your normal one if the snake is ok in there.
bigal Posted - 07/09/2010 : 15:32:57
Thought of getting a bigger glass viv but can't find one more than 3ft and don't want to use a tank as I like the front opening I have on mine. Might just stick to what I have as snake seems happy just me wanting to give him more to hide and climb.
rachiepotatoe Posted - 07/09/2010 : 13:17:20
Welcome! :D

I had the same question as you about the whole heating thing in a wooden viv.
I was told to put the mat inside the viv covered with something, but I was reluctant because I thought maybe my snake would get under it and burn himself.
I stuck with glass and just brought a bigger glass tank.
I was just thinking, maybe you could put a sheet of glass over the top of the heatmat inside the wooden viv, it would initially be the same as having a heatmat under a glass tank right?....
or might it over heat, I'm not sure ...
*ponders*
FiestaSTLou Posted - 07/09/2010 : 12:52:46
you will also need digital thermometers to make sure its the right temprature as the dials on thermostats are not the most accurate.
gmac Posted - 07/09/2010 : 12:49:39
same principle as the glass one apart from the mat going on the inside. the stat probe an the thermometers will sit directly on the mat.
bigal Posted - 07/09/2010 : 12:46:16
Hi, I currently use a heatmat with a thermostat thingy. Problem is heatmat is designed for glass and sticks to bottom. No I will need to get new heat source, just not sure how heat mat works in wooden viv !
Kehhlyr Posted - 07/09/2010 : 12:40:37
Whatever way you're heating your current viv should be suitable for a wooden one.
If it's heated by mat though, you may need to get a slightly larger heatmat and you'll need to stick a slightly larger hole into the wooden viv for the cabling for the heat-mat and the thermostat probe to go through.

How is your current one heated and regulated?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000