New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  12:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High all just new to the forum. Posted the following in care section and it was suggested I post here too. Although I have had my snake for two years I still consider myself a novice. As you can see below I would like to set up a new home for "snake" (that's his name). The care sheet is great for general info but if anyone has a VivExotic EX48 or similar I would very much like advice on setting one up to make sure snake continues to live a happy life.
I have a 2 year old corn that is currently happy in his/her 3ft glass terr. I like to provide lots of hiding and climbing stuff so his home is getting a bit crowded. Thinking of getting a 4ft Viv, but can't seem to get a straight answer about the best way to heat it as I would be changing from a glass to wooden enclosure, the latter of which I have no experience of. All views and advice would be welcome.

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  12:40:37  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whatever way you're heating your current viv should be suitable for a wooden one.
If it's heated by mat though, you may need to get a slightly larger heatmat and you'll need to stick a slightly larger hole into the wooden viv for the cabling for the heat-mat and the thermostat probe to go through.

How is your current one heated and regulated?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  12:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I currently use a heatmat with a thermostat thingy. Problem is heatmat is designed for glass and sticks to bottom. No I will need to get new heat source, just not sure how heat mat works in wooden viv !

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  12:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
same principle as the glass one apart from the mat going on the inside. the stat probe an the thermometers will sit directly on the mat.

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  12:52:46  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you will also need digital thermometers to make sure its the right temprature as the dials on thermostats are not the most accurate.

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  13:17:20  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome! :D

I had the same question as you about the whole heating thing in a wooden viv.
I was told to put the mat inside the viv covered with something, but I was reluctant because I thought maybe my snake would get under it and burn himself.
I stuck with glass and just brought a bigger glass tank.
I was just thinking, maybe you could put a sheet of glass over the top of the heatmat inside the wooden viv, it would initially be the same as having a heatmat under a glass tank right?....
or might it over heat, I'm not sure ...
*ponders*

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  15:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought of getting a bigger glass viv but can't find one more than 3ft and don't want to use a tank as I like the front opening I have on mine. Might just stick to what I have as snake seems happy just me wanting to give him more to hide and climb.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  15:44:17  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm sure your snake wouldn't mind if his tank is a bit crowded if he has more to climb and hide in amongst! Or you could just change some of the things he's got so he has a change of scenery every now and then. It would give him something different to explore.
It's quite costly setting up a new vivarium so maybe it's best to stick with your normal one if the snake is ok in there.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  20:26:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  09:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  18:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. Snake is preparing to shed but when he fininshes will take some photos to post

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  19:07:52  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing pics after he's shed.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  00:01:31  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome :)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  11:48:01  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  07:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woke up to successful shed this morning Will post some more photos when I get the chance

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  14:23:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome, You don't need an ex48, that viv is huuuuuge. I have a lx48 (48in x 15) and one of them fits in their perfectly, for my other adults it's massive for her. Some corns are better off in 3ft vivs, it all kinda depends on the snake and how big the snake and the viv is.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mowdid
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  23:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and Welcome to the forum

0.1.0 - Amel Corn - Amber
1.0.0 - Carolina Corn - Sid
0.0.1 - Striped Cali King - Kong
0.1.0 - Miami Corn - Mimi