The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 snakes and pregnancy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
amanda121921 Posted - 26/05/2010 : 13:04:30
im currently 12 weeks pregnant and my midwife is really concerned about my snakes coz of salmonella and the risk of miscarriage,she scared me a little actually.i've heard some people get rid of their reptiles when they become pregnant but i really dont want to do that coz im really attached and i committed to them for life when i bought them.also, it's not their fault so why should they be cast out because of it?im being extra careful with hygeine washing my hands before and after handling and using that gel stuff and am handling them a little less often (about twice a week)so surely there cant really be a higher risk than normal. i dont want my animals to suffer coz of this but obviously i want to protect my baby. any advice would be much appreciated.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dazb Posted - 27/05/2010 : 17:03:19
Me and Ali (GP) are 35 weeks pregnant and obviously keep snakes plus afew lizards.

To my knowledge I dont think much was said by the midwife or doctors about it, if anything. We even swapped snake stories with the consultant on one of our check ups who never said anything.

Must go and ask her about it...

Fal Posted - 27/05/2010 : 11:26:47
Very good topic here I think. My fiancee (not pregnant yet, that I know of lol) has asked me about this in the past. She agrees that an animal is a commitment and for life, but had heard horror stories, one about a friend of a friend who's baby actually contracted salmonella from their Iguana and died. It's a sad sad story, but the parents admitted painfully, that they hadn't been fastidious with cleanliness before/after handling the Iggy.
My fiancee is super clean anyway, I mock her for it sometimes lol, but i'm sure if she carries on washing her hands (and forearms) after handling Bella, she will be fine when pregnant, as i'm sure you will be :)
devilsmistress Posted - 27/05/2010 : 11:26:19
The main panic is because your immune system is weeker when Pregnant so some Midwifes panic a bit! Mine is not worried, The only thing I will say is dont just wash your hands wash your arms to if they have slithered up them! I do just to be on the safe side.
My mate is a breeder and has hundreds of snakes and lizards, she has 2 happy healthy kids with no problems with her pregancies, So it really cant be that much risk. It was her that told me about washing my arms to!
mikerichards Posted - 26/05/2010 : 22:34:42
Alcohol hand wash is the best thing. Salmonella is a naturally occuring thing with snakes, but its not the nastiest thing they carry, but none of it is a worry if you wash your hands.
Saying that, harmful bacteria are everywhere, as long as you are careful then there is no real problem.
When Skinny boy, my very poorly Boa was really bad, he had quite a serious salmonella infection, same with wonky nose, she had high concentrations of salmonella, but being careful meant it never had any impact on me at all.
Twi Posted - 26/05/2010 : 21:51:30
I think it depends on the midwife mine was more worried about being in the room with the snake than the fact i was handling it, but i mean you can get salmonela off chicken they don't tell you to stop eating that just incase, they just tell you to make sure its cooked properly and wash your hands after handling it lol
Kehhlyr Posted - 26/05/2010 : 21:44:20
quote:
Originally posted by elament

I'm not pregnant (obviously) but to prove a point I put my Colins tail in my mouth. Whilst I wouldnt recommend it I am still here with no salmonela

I've put one of my snakes in my mouth in the past (think I also mentioned it) just to see what it'd taste like raw.
I'm still here.

I agree with Kaz, to much emphasis is put on the worst case scenarios, much like anything to do with snake keeping actually.
But I suppose the fear-factor can actually do a lot sometimes.
elament Posted - 26/05/2010 : 17:20:18
I'm not pregnant (obviously) but to prove a point I put my Colins tail in my mouth. Whilst I wouldnt recommend it I am still here with no salmonela
Sta~ple Posted - 26/05/2010 : 17:20:14
Wash your hands before you put anything near your face after touching them or their stuff and you'll be fine. You should only really get a dangerous amount of it if you decided to purposely eat their poo or lick them XD

I never under stand why reptiles are singled out when you can get it from other animals as well :/ well just poo in general it just happens that cats and dog lick that area, lick the rest of their body and people cuddle and kiss them...
Kazerella Posted - 26/05/2010 : 16:29:33
I agree- sometimes the risks are enthasised more then necessary in these cases. Just continue with the good hygiene and you should be fine.
herriotfan Posted - 26/05/2010 : 15:42:46
Oh dear, a case of snakes not being understood, me thinks. They carry no more risk than the chicken your midwife will cook as a Sunday roast or the egg she dipped her soldiers in for breakfast!! You're doing exactly the correct thing by taking the precaution of thorough hand washing so there's VERY little risk to you or your baby.
I can understand that she may be 'covering' herself by warning you. Try not to worry too much.
Twi Posted - 26/05/2010 : 13:20:30
I'm 37 weeks pregnant now, midwife wasn't worried that I had snakes (other than the fact she was scared of ginger lol) at all and I've had no problems, managed to keep up their regular care and everything. She was more concerned about me having cats but just told me to be extra careful and wear gloves and wash my hands twice as much when cleaning them out.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000