New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  13:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im currently 12 weeks pregnant and my midwife is really concerned about my snakes coz of salmonella and the risk of miscarriage,she scared me a little actually.i've heard some people get rid of their reptiles when they become pregnant but i really dont want to do that coz im really attached and i committed to them for life when i bought them.also, it's not their fault so why should they be cast out because of it?im being extra careful with hygeine washing my hands before and after handling and using that gel stuff and am handling them a little less often (about twice a week)so surely there cant really be a higher risk than normal. i dont want my animals to suffer coz of this but obviously i want to protect my baby. any advice would be much appreciated.

kaseysquidward

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  13:20:30  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm 37 weeks pregnant now, midwife wasn't worried that I had snakes (other than the fact she was scared of ginger lol) at all and I've had no problems, managed to keep up their regular care and everything. She was more concerned about me having cats but just told me to be extra careful and wear gloves and wash my hands twice as much when cleaning them out.

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  15:42:46  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, a case of snakes not being understood, me thinks. They carry no more risk than the chicken your midwife will cook as a Sunday roast or the egg she dipped her soldiers in for breakfast!! You're doing exactly the correct thing by taking the precaution of thorough hand washing so there's VERY little risk to you or your baby.
I can understand that she may be 'covering' herself by warning you. Try not to worry too much.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  16:29:33  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree- sometimes the risks are enthasised more then necessary in these cases. Just continue with the good hygiene and you should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  17:20:14  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wash your hands before you put anything near your face after touching them or their stuff and you'll be fine. You should only really get a dangerous amount of it if you decided to purposely eat their poo or lick them XD

I never under stand why reptiles are singled out when you can get it from other animals as well :/ well just poo in general it just happens that cats and dog lick that area, lick the rest of their body and people cuddle and kiss them...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  17:20:18  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not pregnant (obviously) but to prove a point I put my Colins tail in my mouth. Whilst I wouldnt recommend it I am still here with no salmonela

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  21:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

I'm not pregnant (obviously) but to prove a point I put my Colins tail in my mouth. Whilst I wouldnt recommend it I am still here with no salmonela

I've put one of my snakes in my mouth in the past (think I also mentioned it) just to see what it'd taste like raw.
I'm still here.

I agree with Kaz, to much emphasis is put on the worst case scenarios, much like anything to do with snake keeping actually.
But I suppose the fear-factor can actually do a lot sometimes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  21:51:30  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think it depends on the midwife mine was more worried about being in the room with the snake than the fact i was handling it, but i mean you can get salmonela off chicken they don't tell you to stop eating that just incase, they just tell you to make sure its cooked properly and wash your hands after handling it lol

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  22:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alcohol hand wash is the best thing. Salmonella is a naturally occuring thing with snakes, but its not the nastiest thing they carry, but none of it is a worry if you wash your hands.
Saying that, harmful bacteria are everywhere, as long as you are careful then there is no real problem.
When Skinny boy, my very poorly Boa was really bad, he had quite a serious salmonella infection, same with wonky nose, she had high concentrations of salmonella, but being careful meant it never had any impact on me at all.

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  11:26:19  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The main panic is because your immune system is weeker when Pregnant so some Midwifes panic a bit! Mine is not worried, The only thing I will say is dont just wash your hands wash your arms to if they have slithered up them! I do just to be on the safe side.
My mate is a breeder and has hundreds of snakes and lizards, she has 2 happy healthy kids with no problems with her pregancies, So it really cant be that much risk. It was her that told me about washing my arms to!
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  11:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good topic here I think. My fiancee (not pregnant yet, that I know of lol) has asked me about this in the past. She agrees that an animal is a commitment and for life, but had heard horror stories, one about a friend of a friend who's baby actually contracted salmonella from their Iguana and died. It's a sad sad story, but the parents admitted painfully, that they hadn't been fastidious with cleanliness before/after handling the Iggy.
My fiancee is super clean anyway, I mock her for it sometimes lol, but i'm sure if she carries on washing her hands (and forearms) after handling Bella, she will be fine when pregnant, as i'm sure you will be :)

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  17:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me and Ali (GP) are 35 weeks pregnant and obviously keep snakes plus afew lizards.

To my knowledge I dont think much was said by the midwife or doctors about it, if anything. We even swapped snake stories with the consultant on one of our check ups who never said anything.

Must go and ask her about it...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000