The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 told total rubbish by pet shop owner

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 08/05/2010 : 09:32:09
i have just baught my first hes a candy cane corn snake apparantly? i was told he was a 10 week old hatchling by the owner of the shop but since ive found out he talks total rubbish he told me he wouldnt need heat at all and other stupid stuff so i was wondering if theres a way of telling the rough age and sex of kellogs and any info on morphs wuould be a great help
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 13/05/2010 : 15:48:43
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

So pleased you've found a good shop that you feel happy with. If you need any more help, advice or support we're all still here to help each other.

thank you very much really didnt know what to expect as ive never been on a forum or anything but youve all made me feel really welcome and sorted out most of my problems xxxx
thanks again xxxx
herriotfan Posted - 13/05/2010 : 15:37:50
So pleased you've found a good shop that you feel happy with. If you need any more help, advice or support we're all still here to help each other.
n/a Posted - 13/05/2010 : 14:15:54
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by holly n kellogs

oh! god wish id of known that it'll be going so will a heat mat be enough heat i also have heat bulbs in there now and do u know the ideal temp for a viv mine stays at 25/26 celuius with the light on constantly

Holly, you cant feel bad about the fact that you have been given wrong advice - what is important is that you are here trying to get everything right for Kellogs!!

(Does make me smile that although you have had HER probed and found out that SHE is a female you keep calling HER HIM !!)

As far as the heating in the viv is concerned it is great that you have got rid of the heat rock. You dont need heat lamps and a heatmat. A lot of us just use a heatmat with a stat and then have low wattage low energy bulbs in the vivs - for our benefit to see in, not for the snakes benefit as they dont need the extra light or heat. It certainly wont be doing Kellogs any good having the lights on constantly. What temp do you have the stat set at? (I am hoping that you were sold a stat but have a horrible feeling you might not have been as pet shops rarely recommend them . If you dont have one you need to get one asap.) I have my stat set at about 28oC and it is on that temp constantly 24hrs a day. My digital thermometer shows that the temps fluctuate between 27oC and just over 28oC....which is about right.

Do you have a digital thermometer measuring the heat (with the probe horizontal over the heatmat) at substrate level? I do wonder if you are only getting a reading of 25/26oC cos you are getting the temp from the air....with a dial thermometer stuck on the wall of the viv.

I am so sorry you are having such trouble getting everything right for Kellogs but you are doing a really good job looking after HER and trying care for HER the best way you can. I just wish there was a good shop near you or a forum member nearby that could help....

xxx

Edited to add link to members map - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112536582355638684956.000464c58c16b0ffad1be&z=6

no to be hones dont realy no what a stat is.
i do have a digital therometer but uts around the middle of the viv but ill move it to substrate level its so disheartening to find out what you believe is total rubbish i eventually found a decent pet shop though now so getting everything sorted now
thanks for your help xxxx
n/a Posted - 13/05/2010 : 14:13:11
quote:

quote:

Our Sid is an amel....beautiful snakes!!! Good choice. Isn't that morph guide amazing, I've already got a wish-list that needs a mansion to house!!!! Don't tell my hubby

he/shes gorgeous!! seen loads i want i might just move in to a viv lol

n/a Posted - 13/05/2010 : 14:12:34
quote:

Our Sid is an amel....beautiful snakes!!! Good choice. Isn't that morph guide amazing, I've already got a wish-list that needs a mansion to house!!!! Don't tell my hubby

he/shes gorgeous
n/a Posted - 13/05/2010 : 14:09:13
quote:

hahha me 2 think i want a ghost now lol x
Kellog Posted - 13/05/2010 : 05:04:35
quote:

oh! god wish id of known that it'll be going so will a heat mat be enough heat i also have heat bulbs in there now and do u know the ideal temp for a viv mine stays at 25/26 celuius with the light on constantly

Holly, you cant feel bad about the fact that you have been given wrong advice - what is important is that you are here trying to get everything right for Kellogs!!

(Does make me smile that although you have had HER probed and found out that SHE is a female you keep calling HER HIM !!)

As far as the heating in the viv is concerned it is great that you have got rid of the heat rock. You dont need heat lamps and a heatmat. A lot of us just use a heatmat with a stat and then have low wattage low energy bulbs in the vivs - for our benefit to see in, not for the snakes benefit as they dont need the extra light or heat. It certainly wont be doing Kellogs any good having the lights on constantly. What temp do you have the stat set at? (I am hoping that you were sold a stat but have a horrible feeling you might not have been as pet shops rarely recommend them . If you dont have one you need to get one asap.) I have my stat set at about 28oC and it is on that temp constantly 24hrs a day. My digital thermometer shows that the temps fluctuate between 27oC and just over 28oC....which is about right.

Do you have a digital thermometer measuring the heat (with the probe horizontal over the heatmat) at substrate level? I do wonder if you are only getting a reading of 25/26oC cos you are getting the temp from the air....with a dial thermometer stuck on the wall of the viv.

I am so sorry you are having such trouble getting everything right for Kellogs but you are doing a really good job looking after HER and trying care for HER the best way you can. I just wish there was a good shop near you or a forum member nearby that could help....

xxx

Edited to add link to members map - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112536582355638684956.000464c58c16b0ffad1be&z=6

herriotfan Posted - 12/05/2010 : 16:06:52
Are there any listed on the members map? Try looking on the search for a topic thread.....
Kehhlyr Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:58:55
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

....... Out of curiosity, where you from?

im from hull why??

Just wondering if there was anyone from the forum local ish to you that could point you in the direction of a reputable shop.

So the question is out there now, any recommended shops near Hull anyone??
herriotfan Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:39:17
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:37:08
great thank you i'll get rid of the rock sharpish
herriotfan Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:35:36
The heat mat is fine, we all use those but not one of those nasty rocks. I have Sidney's stat set at 28c/82f during the day and then down to 22c/72f at night. It all works automatically. Don't ask how....hubby set it up for me. I'm a techno-phobe as you have probably gathered! I'm sure there are several of our members who will give you very clear,informative instruction but not me!!!!
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:31:50
quote:

Look on www.iansvivarium.com for cornsnake morph guide....amazing!!!

thanks a lot for that thinks shes actually a amelanistic no lol :) thanks again
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:24:48
quote:

Oh Holly, PLEASE don't use a heat rock....your little snake could easily burn herself. Those things should be banned from sale!!!
Can't help you re photos but if you do a search on here for photobucket I'm fairly sure you'll find a topic thread to explain! I'm a nerd when it comes to photos

herriotfan Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:22:23
Look on www.iansvivarium.com for cornsnake morph guide....amazing!!!
herriotfan Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:20:35
Oh Holly, PLEASE don't use a heat rock....your little snake could easily burn herself. Those things should be banned from sale!!!
Can't help you re photos but if you do a search on here for photobucket I'm fairly sure you'll find a topic thread to explain! I'm a nerd when it comes to photos
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:15:36
if its any help regardin the morph of kellogs hes pretty similar to the snake in the heading at the top of the page
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:01:17
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Just a quick addition to the other info as well; Unless you've got a regulated heat source for the snake I wouldn't attempt to feed it, they need the heat to help digest the food. Without the heat there's a large risk the food will rot in the snakes gut.

Out of curiosity, where you from?

im from hull why??
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 14:43:26
thank u all very much for your help regards to heat the day i picked him up i went straight to a pet shop with a good reputation and got a heat mat heat rock ect and also a new viv as the one he sold me was actually for a gecko with a vented lid i have it on a thermastat and also had him probed at the same shop an kellogs is actually a she lol :)
since every things been done that should of been done kellogs is a lot more active i left him alone for the first week and fed him yesterday he took the pinkie more or less straight away which was a suprise ill get some pics up for morphing issues was told shes a candy cane but not sure erm how do you put pics up xxxxx and thank you all again for your help xxxxxx
Kellog Posted - 11/05/2010 : 04:18:35
Hi Holly. I am so sorry you have had this experience with your pet shop. Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. I am so glad that you care enough to have found us and please remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

As far as morphs are concerned (cos so often pet shops know nothing about what morphs they are selling and will often put an expensive morph name to a less expensive corn ) it is best to have a pic. This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

I would definitely agree with Kehhlyr regarding the heat source - I had a regurge with one of my snakes because the heatsource was malfunctioning. So it is vital that you get the heat regulated and correct in his viv/faun as soon as possible and then feed him.

As SexyBear mentioned, there is a lot of kit needed that you have probably not been told about - make sure Kellogs has what he needs as soon as possible. You can get digital thermometers cheap on ebay and they come quite quickly, but are vital. Quite a few forum members use this one - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330415270120&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3237wt_946. You need the heatmat to supply the heat, the mat stat to control the heat of the heatmat and the digital thermometer to monitor the mat stat as they have been known to malfunction.

Definitely follow HannahB's advice regarding the size of what you feed him - it has nothing to do with the head size (which seems bizarre, I know) but has more to do with Kellogs girth.

I am not sure how long you have had him but we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow Kellogs to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about Kellogs not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting him to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake. If you havent done this then it may be worthwhile doing it now, especially as there will be some upheaval in his viv/faun while you sort out the heating etc....which will all cause stress (another reason not to feed him at the moment).

I do hope you are able to get what you need and quickly. You are showing how much you care for Kellogs by just having found us and trying to make the changes necessary.

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000