The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Really annoyed.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 29/04/2010 : 08:46:42
Got a call from a young friend of mine yesterday. She had been to visit a horse that she used to loan from a wheeler-dealer near me, and found it caught up in a barb wire fence with blood squirting out of its leg, unable to walk and clearly very distressed.

Being a sensible girl, she immediately rang the man and explained. He came down, looked at it- and refused to ring the vet. Obviously she was hugely upset, and sent me pics of the horses leg. What a mess!!

So, me and a friend went down there first thing this morning to find that the owner had wrapped a dirty flannel around the leg, and put a brushing boot over the top. I had my first aid kit with me, and managed to get it clean and dressed properly, and put a support bandage on, but it urgently needs flushing, stitches and antibiotics. Just waiting for the SSPCA to open so I can report it, but they can be pretty useless at the best of times.

Its not the only horse of his that needs looking at, there is a weanling with over grown feet and a badly fitting headcollar. The horses have no food, and appalling fencing.

Makes me sick!!!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 02/05/2010 : 05:55:38
I remember that as well. Have supported Redwings for years and am sure I read about his recovery (bad brain fog moment though ). It is shocking it had to get to that point but we are blessed by having people (like Herriotfan) and places, like Redwings, that are there to rescue and support those animals who have been so cruelly treated by us humans - who are supposed to care for them.

xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 08:56:37
I remember that, there are the videos on youtube too, absolutely disgusting.
n/a Posted - 01/05/2010 : 08:23:22
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

excellent glad to hear your constant concern paid off.. see broken record syndrome works a treat.. :o)

You'd think so....but it doesnt always happen...

James Grey...

This Guy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7180326.stm

was reported FOR YEARS

Good work with the the SB!

Last time I had to call RSPCA/ILPH- now changed their name!- I could actually see THROUGH the leg!

xXx
Kellog Posted - 01/05/2010 : 04:32:00
It is a real relief to know that the SSPCA actually did something and got the vet out to see the horse (although it should have been done straight away ). I do hope that the vet's treatment is enough to have been able to stop any permanent damage to the horse's leg. I am sure the vet will have a few strong words to say about the state the horse was in....and hopefully he will have noticed the state of the other horse.

So glad to hear he has been reported so many times - SURELY the SSPCA must act now! If they dont then I would be so tempted to take it to the papers....

Thanks SB for letting us know what is going on and I am sure you will be keeping a close eye on what is happening next.

xxx
crazy JJ Posted - 01/05/2010 : 01:49:20
thats great news.. and bein reported that many times hopefully that will come 2 something (although knowing our luck probs not)

thanks 4 keeping us posted glad to know the horse must be feelin a lil better :D
Sizzlesmum Posted - 30/04/2010 : 22:07:50
Surely they will take some kind of action against him now.

Thanks for keeping us informed of the horse's progress
punumbear Posted - 30/04/2010 : 22:07:20
excellent glad to hear your constant concern paid off.. see broken record syndrome works a treat.. :o)
SexyBear77 Posted - 30/04/2010 : 21:38:26
Hopefully it does, just been speaking to an inside source lol, apparently he has been reported 7 times in 2 days..... now thats saying something!
Sizzlesmum Posted - 30/04/2010 : 21:11:20
That's great news, the poor thing must feel more comfortable now.
hayleyb93 Posted - 30/04/2010 : 19:28:17
Poor horse, the owner shouldnt be allowed to keep it if he isnt going to look after it. But thats great news, let us know how it goes.
mozacchio Posted - 30/04/2010 : 19:14:32
That's good news..!
Finally!
Keep us updated..!
SexyBear77 Posted - 30/04/2010 : 19:09:22
Hey guys-

Got a call from the inspector today. Vet had been out, given the wound a proper clean and flush, dressed it and applied a pressure bandage. He will be back out on Monday to check on her but she should be fine. She has also had intra-muscular antibiotics.

Great news!
HannahB Posted - 30/04/2010 : 09:32:27
poor horse!
well done for your persistance Rach - hope the man gets what he deserves..no animal should be treated like that, hope the horses get a new loving home soon
Blackecho Posted - 30/04/2010 : 07:14:25
Well done Rach, keep up the good work. x
Kellog Posted - 30/04/2010 : 04:46:40
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

LOL

Just had a call from the very sheepish inspector- she went back to see the wound and agrees it needs urgent veterinary treatment. She is going back first thing tomorrow to have the vet out, and have a severe word with the man.

I am very relieved now, I hated the thought of that poor horse suffering.

I am not surprised the inspector sounded sheepish....what she should have done was apologise to you for doubting your story in the first place !

That wound is nasty and I do hope that the vet is able to treat it successfully - and I also hope that the so-called owner refuses to pay so that the horse can be taken away from him !!

Any mention of the skinny horse?

I am not being funny but having 'a severe word with the man' will be like talking to a brick wall....all he will understand is money and if he is taken to court and prosecuted. They have already been out to him about that fencing and I assume that at that time they had 'a severe word'....and you just have to look at the pic to see the result that had.

I know the RSPCA has a hard job and it is very easy to knock them....but they do have limited funds and limited powers and cannot just save every furry, feathered, scaled mistreated animal that is brought to their attention - not without a lot more help and finances. I do agree that they have been totally useless in cases where they should have acted, but I also know from friends who work there how much their hands are tied in having to prove cases etc (hence why I push you to get as much evidence as possible and from as many different people as possible). My friends get totally frustrated themselves by the way the system works and by how little they can really do....

So just remember it is very easy to knock them, but just imagine if we didnt have them....

xxx
crazy JJ Posted - 30/04/2010 : 00:37:48
blooomin hell... how/why would the owner not.... grrr im at a loss 4 words that looks painfull :(

im soooo glad that they finally decided to do something about it at last although just wish the law would change with pet keeping and cruelty... y should ppl be able to get away with this kinda thing grrr it makes me sick to the bone... spec when ya dont get away with it if ya do it to a human grrr but erm y on earth/how on earth would u keep a barb wire fencing in the 1st place ????
Sizzlesmum Posted - 29/04/2010 : 23:01:16
Well done for persevering with SSPCA. Thank goodness they are eventually doing to do something about the so-called owner of this horse.

That wound is awful, poor animal most be in so much pain

I used to foster cats for an independent cat rescue. Many a time we would get phone calls from people how had phoned the RSPCA about cruelty by owners, only to be told they would look in to it One caller was so distressed by the state of a cat she brought it to us as the owner had thrown it over her fence!

Why do people get pets and don't look after them.

Btw the cat, who had to have a leg amputated, made a full recovery and is now in a loving home.
mozacchio Posted - 29/04/2010 : 22:44:14
Oh..
Luckily you did something about it..
What if nobody had seen it?
SexyBear77 Posted - 29/04/2010 : 22:37:03
This is the horses leg- sorry its a bit gruesome.
Sta~ple Posted - 29/04/2010 : 22:27:54
I don't get the RSPCA and other animal charities they always say "if an animal is being abused or suffering let us know" and when you do, they don't care and then the have the cheek to post stories about all their good deeds all proud and happy with them selves when it's their job to do that anyway. I hate the RSPCA quite a lot, all the amount of time we have found injured birds and they say they aren't interested in it and that we should put it out of it's misery. How can they choose what they are and what they aren't interested in? Surely when they signed up for the job they did it because they wanted to help animals not see some interesting ones with some interesting illness. The only time the RSPCA will batter an eye lid towards an animals is if it's a dog, no species of animal should take prefer from another but I guess they see they have more of a chance to get money form a dog owner who is neglecting their animals rather than a horse or wild animals.

In theory if the wound is bad and it does need seeing to a vet which by the sound of it, it does and it sounds like this horse could also lose it's leg to an infection pretty quickly and he won't pay for a vet, they should be able to get the police to seize the animals by force if he doesn't agree to hand it over for treatment and then he would have some sort of ban for keepng animals.

I wish you lick though, there was some horses treated badly in city I live it and it took 3 years of many different complaints for anyone to check it out, and then they were only told to make some changes.

Is that welfare officer so stupid that she doesn't know how to take off a bandage? It doesn't matter how much cleaning he is doing if it's a deep wound it need's sorting, it's not like you would just put a bandage over a cut and cleaned it lots if the cut went half way into your finger. It really amazes how stupid people really are.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000