The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 More Us

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 11:14:36
You guys have been such a support in our moving situation and I have another bombshell that is absolutely breaking my heart. If you are praying people, please pray for us. We found out this week that our little Nacho, our chihuahua, has a mitral valve endocardiosis (the inside of his heart is becoming smaller because of the thickening of the mitral valve) and a stage three (worse living case stage4) heart murmur. We went to have his teeth cleaned and they couldn't put him under because his little heart would stop so the vet in his kindness gave him a very small cat dose of relaxant. He could still fight a bit, but was very lazy. Since he was a puppy we thought he was having seizures and we would comfort him. Now we find out that they weren't seizures at all. His heart occasionally stops and he faints because of it. He is nine years old and we thought he would be traveling to the warm climate of Arizona with us. We don't see our little boy making a fourteen hour plane flight without tranqulizers having never been locked in a cage before. The remaining option is to enjoy our little boy for our remaining time here in Germany and euthanize him before the stresses of the move begin. His rabies shots are due in July, so we are thinking instead of those we'll let him go to sleep then. This is a VERY DIFFICULT decision to make since he is family to us. We've only hired baby sitters and he's never really stayed more than a couple of days in a kennel. Allowing him to live his last sufferings in the care of someone who he's not grown up with seems too cruel. The last few weeks have been horrible for me as it was and now this is breaking my heart. I know it is more merciful for him, but it is so difficult for us. As I said in the beginning, if you are praying people, please pray for us.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
crazy JJ Posted - 28/04/2010 : 10:00:07
totally agree there sb...
Kellog Posted - 28/04/2010 : 04:32:45
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

......... All I can say is that the right decisions are often the toughest ones- thats why its so easy to make the wrong one. xxx

Beautifully put SB, and so right.

xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/04/2010 : 10:15:17
So so sorry to hear about this. I have been through something very similar with my precious horse, so I can totally understand how you are feeling. All I can say is that the right decisions are often the toughest ones- thats why its so easy to make the wrong one. xxx
Kellog Posted - 27/04/2010 : 06:01:59
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

Kellog, both vets have said his heart is a problem. They even agreed on the same medication (the second vet not realizing what the first had prescribed). So they both agree on the diagnosis. We've not really discussed how much probable time. We'll be discussing that more over the next couple of months. I guess I'm a bit afraid to come right out and ask. The German vet did say, "You can go with him if you let him show you what he needs". I'll pin the vet down to the point as I get up my nerve to hear the facts.

I can totally understand you avoiding asking the questions you dont want to hear the answers to Godzchild, but you need to - for yours and Nacho's sakes. You need to know what to expect and to prepare for it. I guess the vet was saying that you just go day by day and see what happens and if you start to see him suffer then you know what to do. But the problem is that you have a time limit on your hands....

I wish I could find the right words to put down, but I cant....just know that God is very close to you at this time when you need Him most, so feel His strength and accept His support. He will help guide you in whatever decisions you have to make - they will be the right decisions, for Nacho.

You are in my prayers.

xxx
crazy JJ Posted - 27/04/2010 : 00:15:57
defo agreed there... love any animal me :) will do my best wit any animal they deserve just as much happiness as us humans
n/a Posted - 26/04/2010 : 17:45:38
I am an animal lover...therefore whether it be rabbits or snakes...It's like the old song goes, "Bless the beast and the children/ for in the world they have no voice, for in this world they have no choice./ Bless the beast and the children/ for the world will never be/ the world they see"[quote]Originally posted by crazy JJ
crazy JJ Posted - 26/04/2010 : 12:34:38
oooo im reli sorry, i know what ya going through (well kinda) ive never had a dog but it was a couple of rabbits 4 me... they were in and out the vets like ya wouldnt believe... but anyway to cut a long story short one had to get put down as she had a absess :( and my bunny just died she had all sorts of problems, one eye, nerve probs but anyway she died whilst i was away on holiday she died of a twisted gut type thing after the vet said she is fine but she wouldnt eat or barley drink... i felt terriable she was one amazingly brave rabbit and i loved her to pieces.... still think about her now and this happened a couple of years ago now when i was already going through a bad time :(

i know that reli isnt the same as your doggie but it still hurt me (just like any pet dying does) but they were special 2 me and still are :) they will never be 4gotten

but anyway *hugs* n my thoughts are with you... just remeber the happy times cos knowone can take them away from you although u still hopefully have some happy times left :)

And kellog that is a nice poem it made me have a tear in my eye lol
Sizzlesmum Posted - 25/04/2010 : 23:45:09
I'm not good with words, just wanted to say you are in my thoughts *hugs*
n/a Posted - 25/04/2010 : 20:05:05
Kellog, both vets have said his heart is a problem. They even agreed on the same medication (the second vet not realizing what the first had prescribed). So they both agree on the diagnosis. We've not really discussed how much probable time. We'll be discussing that more over the next couple of months. I guess I'm a bit afraid to come right out and ask. The German vet did say, "You can go with him if you let him show you what he needs". I'll pin the vet down to the point as I get up my nerve to hear the facts.

n/a Posted - 25/04/2010 : 19:59:48
Thank you punumbear.
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

thoughts and sympathy for kellogg and godzchild.. chin up guys x

punumbear Posted - 24/04/2010 : 14:24:26
thoughts and sympathy for kellogg and godzchild.. chin up guys x
n/a Posted - 24/04/2010 : 14:12:02
Fortunately, the US doesn't have quarentine. But we are going to watch Nacho for the four months we have left here to see how he does. Nothing is too much for our Creator.[quote]Originally posted by Kellog
Kellog Posted - 08/04/2010 : 04:15:20
quote:

Found out some interesting possibilities. Our nurse at the school where I work also has a dog with heart problems. She suggested that I put the travel bed beside his regular bed and put his heating pad and sheepskin in his travel bed. I came home today to find Nacho voluntarily sleeping in the travel bed. (Continuing to pray)

That certainly sounds positive Godzchild, and it is a good idea to get Nacho used to what he will be travelling in for all those hours....but....the worry is not really whether he will be comfortable, it will be whether his heart will stand the strain.

When I came back from South Africa we sent 2 dogs and 1 cat ahead of us by 3 months, so they then had 3 months left of quarantine to finish by the time we arrived. My dog, Laska (a fully pedigreed Samoyed/miniature poodle - owner bred both breeds as show animals and a kid left a door open, woops ) was never afraid of thunderstorms before and we used to have some major ones in SA. But once we moved here she became terrified of thunder, gun shots, fireworks, hot air balloons, anything that made a loud noise....and the only thing we can put it down to is what she experienced being in the hold of the plane - where the noise must be so much louder than anything they have ever experienced before. Unfortunately that is not something you can prepare them for.

Sorry to sound negative , but I know that you must try and stay realistic....even when that reality hurts.

Have you got an appointment with a vet for a 2nd opinion yet?

You know I will keep praying, for Nacho and for you.

xxx

n/a Posted - 07/04/2010 : 19:53:43
Found out some interesting possibilities. Our nurse at the school where I work also has a dog with heart problems. She suggested that I put the travel bed beside his regular bed and put his heating pad and sheepskin in his travel bed. I came home today to find Nacho voluntarily sleeping in the travel bed. (Continuing to pray)
Mouse Posted - 06/04/2010 : 12:32:57
*hugs*
n/a Posted - 05/04/2010 : 06:27:34
Kellog, I don't mind your saying anything.This is an open forum and it helps to know how others handle similar situations. No, you didn't hijack my thread. It was A thread...not particularly mine.The poem is beautiful. I believe that our creator God gave our animals the ability to love us in their own way. I also believe that since that is the case, then "All Dogs Go To Heaven". Thank you for the poem.[quote]Originally posted by Kellog
herriotfan Posted - 04/04/2010 : 05:03:23
Thank you Kellog... I was looking for the rainbow-bridge to send but couldnt find it, so glad you did. There's another one called If It Should Be...
Kellog Posted - 04/04/2010 : 04:52:20
quote:

I am soooo sorry to hear about your Woody. Our animals whether they be dogs, cats, birds or snakes, become part of our family and it hurts just as bad to lose one. You will be in my prayers also, Dear. Thank you for sharing.

I do hope you didnt mind me saying all that Godzchild, after I had done it I felt as though I had hijacked your thread a bit - I was just so shocked to read what you were going through with Nacho considering I had just had to make that decision about Woody .

It is hard dealing with those who have the opinion that 'it is just a dog' and in some ways my OH is like that....although he does acknowledge that for him and the kids Woody was 'just a dog', whereas for me it was so much more as I probably spent more time with her than I did with either him or my kids each day.

A friend sent me this, and I know reading it brought me to a place of peace....IF you have to make that awful decision then I hope it does the same for you.

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears ***** forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together

xxx
n/a Posted - 03/04/2010 : 15:28:05
I am soooo sorry to hear about your Woody. Our animals whether they be dogs, cats, birds or snakes, become part of our family and it hurts just as bad to lose one. You will be in my prayers also, Dear. Thank you for sharing.[quote]Originally posted by Kellog
n/a Posted - 03/04/2010 : 08:34:42
godzchild9, i am so sorry to hear about little Nacho, my previous dog, Sophie, she had similar ailments and she had to be put to sleep over them, so i completely understand the pain you are going through right now.

hannahb and Skorps are completely right, remember the good times and savour every last second you spend with him as i know you will. it is never an easy task deciding to have a pet put down, but one that can save them alot of pain and suffering, and in my eyes that makes all the heart ache us humans go through seem worth it in a way.

i hope the check with the other Vet goes well, please keep us posted if you can. you will be in my prayers xx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000