The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Loose snake like 5 streets away from me !!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hiper2009 Posted - 20/03/2010 : 11:37:45
There is a MBK Loose like 5 streets away from me i read it in the paper like a few days ago was very shocked to be honest , Here is the link.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/foot-snake-goes-loose-Leicester/article-1916573-detail/article.html
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hiper2009 Posted - 01/04/2010 : 12:42:18
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

Bad news Not had the snake near mine it has drifted off some where eles

:(

Maybe take a casual walk in the snakes last known area...perhaps with a bottle trap...

Dont give up!

XxX

It was sighted 7 miles away from mine
n/a Posted - 31/03/2010 : 21:12:21
quote:

:(

Maybe take a casual walk in the snakes last known area...perhaps with a bottle trap...

Dont give up!

XxX
hiper2009 Posted - 31/03/2010 : 18:27:35
Mouse Posted - 29/03/2010 : 11:04:32
OMG, 'Panic stations people, there's an animal out there....AAAARGH!'

I find it intruiging that people panic without thinking first. They completely take what hype the press gives them, then run with it.

Does it not occur that we are MUCH bigger than the snake, thus are probably a lot more scary to them.

I may have got funny looks at work by laughing out loud at some of those comments!

Glad you're trying to help it out though! :D good luck!
kdlang Posted - 27/03/2010 : 12:11:59
Hopefully he will show up again when he is hungry. He might be lying low for a while.
i do commend your efforts tho hiper. good to know he has someone on his side.
hiper2009 Posted - 27/03/2010 : 11:10:13
quote:
Originally posted by Lilpunk

That's one of the stupidest articles I've ever read! Sure, warn people but seriously?! "I'm keeping the wife and kids indoors and not going to work"! Ugh, need some drama?

Its perthetic what people think.

No news on the MBK yet,
Lilpunk Posted - 25/03/2010 : 18:02:07
That's one of the stupidest articles I've ever read! Sure, warn people but seriously?! "I'm keeping the wife and kids indoors and not going to work"! Ugh, need some drama?
hiper2009 Posted - 25/03/2010 : 13:28:19
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Any news Hiper?

The snake has not come back for the bait so i fear the worst has happend to it unless its digesting its meal some where warm
kdlang Posted - 24/03/2010 : 16:50:14
Any news Hiper?
hiper2009 Posted - 22/03/2010 : 20:13:15
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

i dont think they can get rabies, if they could then they would have to be quarantined for 6 months like mammals do.
i doubt it has mites, they are not native to this country, and is a little cold for them to survive properly.
If you get tagged you get tagged, its gonna tingle a bit, a lot if its 6 foot, which i doubt, media always doubles or trebles any presumed dangerous animals sizes.
If its a 6 ft MBK, then it will get a medium rat down without too much hassle, so put in something that the food cant fit out of, then the snake wont get back out again. If you can provide somewhere warm and safe, then the chances are the snake will stay there to digest the meal anyway.
a coke bottle wont cut it for a 6 footer, you need something substantial, but i am out of ideas at the moment.
You might find that without the top chopped off its too tight for a big snake, but give it a go as it might not be 6 foot or even close!

good luck

Note: MBK's are very very food orientated, so gloves might be an option if you are worried about a tag. My 4 foot MBK ate 4 large mice and 2 fluffs once, she stopped asking for more after that.

Thanks for the help ill leave the ex large mouse in there for tonight and then add a weaner rat tomorrow but hopefuly it won't come to that stage i hope i catch it. I hope its a tame snakey.
mikerichards Posted - 22/03/2010 : 20:03:46
i dont think they can get rabies, if they could then they would have to be quarantined for 6 months like mammals do.
i doubt it has mites, they are not native to this country, and is a little cold for them to survive properly.
If you get tagged you get tagged, its gonna tingle a bit, a lot if its 6 foot, which i doubt, media always doubles or trebles any presumed dangerous animals sizes.
If its a 6 ft MBK, then it will get a medium rat down without too much hassle, so put in something that the food cant fit out of, then the snake wont get back out again. If you can provide somewhere warm and safe, then the chances are the snake will stay there to digest the meal anyway.
a coke bottle wont cut it for a 6 footer, you need something substantial, but i am out of ideas at the moment.
You might find that without the top chopped off its too tight for a big snake, but give it a go as it might not be 6 foot or even close!

good luck

Note: MBK's are very very food orientated, so gloves might be an option if you are worried about a tag. My 4 foot MBK ate 4 large mice and 2 fluffs once, she stopped asking for more after that.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 22/03/2010 : 19:52:20
quote:
i just fear being bit by this thing as it probly have some kind of rabies + mites lol

Can snakes get rabies? lol
hiper2009 Posted - 22/03/2010 : 19:45:16
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Ratsnakes and even mbk's will survive in the uk, there is apparently a colony of sorts living wild in essex somehwere! If its a great plains or an mbk, it will feed again as soon as it can, they have a hell of an appetite! How did you set the trap? What did you use? A good size grass snake will take a small weaner rat no problem too. If you are using a bottle, use a food item that won't fit through the neck, he won't get out again then. Don't worry about it starving, its more than capable of finding its own food.

I used a 3ltr cola bottle but i had chopped the tip at the end off due to it being a 6ft snake i thought it would not fit in it but by doing this i did not relise it will get out after it eats the rat, i had put the bottle in a box covered with a black bin bag so its water proofe and in the box it i put orchid bark which has been dried out. and on the entrance to the box there is flour down.

I have set up a new bottle but this time i have not chopped the lid bit off, and i have put a ex large mouse in it. Now its just a waiting game for it to get trapped and stuck in the bottle, i just fear being bit by this thing as it probly have some kind of rabies + mites lol
mikerichards Posted - 22/03/2010 : 15:21:49
Ratsnakes and even mbk's will survive in the uk, there is apparently a colony of sorts living wild in essex somehwere! If its a great plains or an mbk, it will feed again as soon as it can, they have a hell of an appetite! How did you set the trap? What did you use? A good size grass snake will take a small weaner rat no problem too. If you are using a bottle, use a food item that won't fit through the neck, he won't get out again then. Don't worry about it starving, its more than capable of finding its own food.
hiper2009 Posted - 21/03/2010 : 15:41:57
quote:

Was it the trap you had put in your garden Hiper as I know you were making one to put a couple of streets away. If it is the one in your garden I hope it stays close. How about setting up a nesting box as well as the trap box with some aspen and a hide and heat pad in. Hopefully snakie will find that after his next feed and you can capture him.
Or any chance of a camera being set up near the trap so you can hopefully find out what the snake definitely is if he manages to evade you again.

The trap was set up 1 street away from me i had asked some indian ppl if i could use there garden as a trap but they was scared so i knocked on a door with english ppl and they was happy for me to do that, and thats where i checked on today to find the rat had gone from bait , i have a trap made in my garden as well with bark substrate and romeo has kindly donated one of his old hides to the trap.

From the descriptions i've had so far it sounds like its a Great plains rat snake most the people said its a grey but when in dark looks black they also say it looks abit like my cornsnakes head so which also points out it could be a RatSnake as ratsnakes are like cousins to cornsnakes.

Just hope to catch this snake before some muggs end up killing the poor thing , but its prooving to be a hard task to catch it as it seems to be smart, i have no idea how it has survived these's past couple of days as the weather has been like 7*C degrees and with lots of rain !!.
Sta~ple Posted - 21/03/2010 : 15:15:08
OMG SO CUTE If I live there I hope it would visit me
kdlang Posted - 21/03/2010 : 14:27:54
Was it the trap you had put in your garden Hiper as I know you were making one to put a couple of streets away. If it is the one in your garden I hope it stays close. How about setting up a nesting box as well as the trap box with some aspen and a hide and heat pad in. Hopefully snakie will find that after his next feed and you can capture him.
Or any chance of a camera being set up near the trap so you can hopefully find out what the snake definitely is if he manages to evade you again.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/03/2010 : 13:03:41
quote:

Oh My gosh i don't belive this , The trap i set up had a weaner rat in it and this morning at 8am i checked on it and it has gone i mean the rat has gone and there is no snake inside the trap , we have a smart snake here.

Dont know if to put another rat in the trap again as it has already had one or do i leave it for 3 days or so ??

I'd leave it for a couple of days, it is likely that he has found somewhere nice and warm and settled down to digest his meal.

You could also look for places with warmtha nd cover around where the trap was.
n/a Posted - 21/03/2010 : 11:40:43
quote:

quote:

Maybe when you next leave one you could dust the floor in front of the trap with flour, that way you will see the tracks and know if its a snake or another creature taking it

I did do that i used tuc powder and it was defo a snake could see wavey through the powder this is a smarty snake

HAHA!

Perhaps thats why he has been on the run for so long!!
:)
xXx
hiper2009 Posted - 21/03/2010 : 11:14:53
quote:

Maybe when you next leave one you could dust the floor in front of the trap with flour, that way you will see the tracks and know if its a snake or another creature taking it

I did do that i used tuc powder and it was defo a snake could see wavey through the powder this is a smarty snake

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000