The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Croc is going to the vets.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 18/02/2010 : 13:09:42
Well, didn't want to post straight away what has been happening in case it was a one off, but Croc has now regurgitated his feed 2 times in a row and is looking pretty sorry for himself.

He regurgitated a rat pup and fuzzy mouse first of all, and by the state of them they hadn't stayed down very long.

I gave him 10 days and tried just a rat pup, but again it has come back up, more digested but still recognizable.

If it was one of my healthy snakes I would maybe wait and try again, but given his shady past and body condition I'm not willing to take any chances.

He has got an appointment for 4.30 this afternoon, so wish us both luck, I know it sounds a bit heartless but I hope its not too dear, I'm on a restricted budget!!

Of course, if he need medicine or treatment he will get it with no questions asked, but I am really hoping it is something easily treatable and not too costly.

Will keep you updated.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 24/02/2010 : 11:25:35
keeping fingers and toes crossed for lil croc! hope he is doing ok right now
hang in there SB, and carry on doing the great job you are doing!
Kellog Posted - 22/02/2010 : 05:17:19
Rach - you know I have been away and not on forum as much as I want to be, so have only just read this topic and found out about Croc.

I dont need to put into words what I want to say....I think you know me well enough to know. Just want to hug you (and Croc...if he wouldnt bite me!)

You know I am here for you - anytime.

Ju xxx
kdlang Posted - 21/02/2010 : 21:25:41
I guess him biting you is actually a good sign. At least it shows he has some fight left in him. Keeping my fingers crossed for you both.
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/02/2010 : 20:30:50
Ta very much guys, I tried to tell Croc how much you lot are rooting for him but he bit me.

Guess he isn't impressed about the indignities of being wormed!
x
n/a Posted - 21/02/2010 : 20:28:28
just read ur thread i wish you luck and i hope it all goes well for you both
zandefloss Posted - 21/02/2010 : 16:25:16
Come on croc, we all love you and want to see you turn into a lovely fatty snakey, I'm thinking about you both - keep us up to date.

zan x
mikerichards Posted - 20/02/2010 : 23:39:57
Pin worms are common in lizards, they come from the food, the locusts and crickets. Parasites like these are not as uncommon as people think, people just dont realise until its too late.
Its always worth having a worm check when something loses weight for no apparent reason.
Little Mrs is doing really well now, she's not put all the weight back on but shes stable and doing well. It was almost a year ago now she had them.

Shes also poo at shedding!

A bit off topic, the cat is doing his crust charging around like a bull in a china shop making all sorts of noises! lol

***edited for language by GP***
SexyBear77 Posted - 20/02/2010 : 15:52:47
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

The only thing that is worth considering, is where the worms came from, normally pin worm doesnt come from frozen, more live food, locusts etc.
Either way, dont buy any frozen from the place you got him from.

mike

Thanks for that Mike, really reassuring to hear how well your gecko did. The only thing that worries me is the mention of underlying health issues, liver/kidney problems. I really do hope he just need a good old "pick-me-up!"- now matter how much he bites.

And rest assured, I am never buying anything from that hell hole again!! Given I don't know the slightest bit about him, he could even be WC, which may explain the parastites.

And thanks very much godzchild as well, very sad to hear about your Robins, but I bet they had a lovely summer in that park.
mikerichards Posted - 20/02/2010 : 15:46:24
Touch wood, i havent had much in the way of ill snakes, it was the geckos that had the problems!
For 50 quid thats a bargain! the panacur works very well for pin worm, the flaggywhatever stuff is quite good too from what i hear. I dont see any reason why the snake shouldnt survive, out little mrs gecko was terribly thin, she lost a lot of weight in less than a week!
The only thing that is worth considering, is where the worms came from, normally pin worm doesnt come from frozen, more live food, locusts etc.
Either way, dont buy any frozen from the place you got him from.

mike
gingerpony Posted - 20/02/2010 : 14:14:30
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77
Managed to do the oral wormer single handedly this morning, pretty impressive eh??

i know what you mean lol it can be difficult with an unco-operative snake in one hand ans a syringe in the other........... well done hun

and glad he's still with us!
i was thinking he looked duller in the most recent pics and worried it might be a reflection on his health but i'd so glad he's just in blue!!
n/a Posted - 20/02/2010 : 14:10:59
Thats good news Rach. Its great GP is here to help too! It seems as though Mike has some experience with ill snakes too. Lets hope he sheds soon- I think everyday he's here is a day where the infections/worms are being fought so fingers crossed!
SexyBear77 Posted - 20/02/2010 : 14:00:32
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

...and something along the lines of Flagevyl...

Flagyl S ?

it's a metronidazole-based antibiotic effective against protozoa/micro-organisms

Lol thats the one

Croc still with us today, and definitely gone blue, which I am taking as a good sign. Managed to do the oral wormer single handedly this morning, pretty impressive eh??
gingerpony Posted - 20/02/2010 : 13:54:31
quote:

...and something along the lines of Flagevyl...

Flagyl S ?

it's a metronidazole-based antibiotic effective against protozoa/micro-organisms
mikerichards Posted - 19/02/2010 : 16:08:26
Yeah he is very skinny, keep that ccf going in, he will be able to absorb that much quicker so will lose less to the worms do!
SexyBear77 Posted - 19/02/2010 : 16:03:12
Pic of Croc taken yesterday- see the skin sagging near his neck?

SexyBear77 Posted - 19/02/2010 : 15:37:29
The vet I took him to has an on-site lab, and he'd done a poo on the way there so she was able to do an egg count under the microscope while I waited. I was actually really impressed with the vet, she was very competent and a very good handler.

The whole consult, 2 different wormers and the critical care formula, as well as the fecal cost me just under £50 so was quite relieved at that too.

He is indeed on Panacur, and something along the lines of Flagevyl or something for the other ones. He doesnt appreciate me trying to syringe it into his mouth though.... nippy little bleep.
Good thing is Im pretty friendly with one of the senior lab technicians at uni who has very kindly said I can use the microscopes they have to do egg counts, and one of the Phd students (doing parasitology!) has volunteered to help me prepare the slides and spot any nasties- lovely peeps!
mikerichards Posted - 19/02/2010 : 13:42:00
Oh well, our vet won't do it! Says it not accurate enough, but then he just gives us the blood and we do our own fecals anyway, Kate my o/h works in a vet lab so does it all on a day to day basis.
gingerpony Posted - 19/02/2010 : 12:16:49
oh hun i've only just seen this thread *hugs*

it sounds like the vet has given him something fairly gentle, a highly effective wormer could cause much more serious problems with mass migration/death of worms in any animal with a substantial worm burden.

fingers crossed for you both hun and please keep us posted *hugs*

MR - egg counts are easily and quickly done at a vet practice rather than incurring the additional costs of sending to an external lab although it's down to practice policy
mikerichards Posted - 19/02/2010 : 11:35:44
I have had some experience with pin worm in leos, and flaggewhatevers, I have to ask, how does the vet know? Something like that needs to be tested by a vetlab.
What did he give you to treat it? Panacur is the best for pins, I can't remember the other stuff for flaggewhatevers.
I have an idea, I will email you.
n/a Posted - 19/02/2010 : 10:45:27
so sorry to hear about croc, keeping fingers crossed for you both.x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000