The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Tail shaking

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nazzle Posted - 16/01/2010 : 21:06:46
Just fed Nelson his two pinkies and, for the third time, he has shaken his tail through the whole process. As soon as I fetch his pinkie close to his feeding tub (he's really chilled out when he's in there)his tail starts, quite loudly, shaking. He constricts within about 2 seconds of me presenting his dinner and doesn't stop until the last bit disappears inside his mouth. Then, when I lift his next pinkie out of it's water bath the tail starts again and doesn't stop until the next one disappears. He eats REALLY quickly, he can manage two in less time than Tehya manages one. Do you think it might be he's more food obsessed due to his missing eye?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 18/01/2010 : 13:19:02
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

bit of a question here if you don't mind
when they eat they are vulnerable, but if they were to hiss and tail rattle so it was audible, wouldn�t that attract things that could potentially eat/harm them? Or would the noise be "scary" to things that could try and eat/harm them?

I would think that they only hiss and rattle when they are already feeling threatened and have already been noticed...so they do what they can to make themselves seem threatening, which for corns is not a lot....hence the hissing and tail rattling.

xxx

ah ok thanks
Kellog Posted - 18/01/2010 : 10:36:48
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

when they eat they are vulnerable, but if they were to hiss and tail rattle so it was audible, wouldn’t that attract things that could potentially eat/harm them? Or would the noise be "scary" to things that could try and eat/harm them?

I would think that they only hiss and rattle when they are already feeling threatened and have already been noticed...so they do what they can to make themselves seem threatening, which for corns is not a lot....hence the hissing and tail rattling.

xxx
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 23:11:35
when they eat they are vulnerable, but if they were to hiss and tail rattle so it was audible, wouldn’t that attract things that could potentially eat/harm them? Or would the noise be "scary" to things that could try and eat/harm them?
gingerpony Posted - 17/01/2010 : 21:55:36
i find feeding in tubs handy to give me a chance to clean out too, he might be more defensive because he feels more vulnerable if he only has one eye
at feeding time snakes are particularly vulnerable as they're not really in a position to defend themselves or to move away quickly from a threat so covering the feeding tub with a sheet or towel might help him feel less stressed and so become less rattley
matty18714 Posted - 16/01/2010 : 21:25:24
Either way, its a defensive thing. They are vulnerable when they are eating.
Nazzle Posted - 16/01/2010 : 21:20:22
I usually leave him near his heatmat on his shelf while he's eating, so I can do a quick clean of his and the others' homes, so it's not like I'm sat watching him, more that I can hear him.
matty18714 Posted - 16/01/2010 : 21:08:19
He's trying to warn you to get away from him while he's eating.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000