New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  21:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just fed Nelson his two pinkies and, for the third time, he has shaken his tail through the whole process. As soon as I fetch his pinkie close to his feeding tub (he's really chilled out when he's in there)his tail starts, quite loudly, shaking. He constricts within about 2 seconds of me presenting his dinner and doesn't stop until the last bit disappears inside his mouth. Then, when I lift his next pinkie out of it's water bath the tail starts again and doesn't stop until the next one disappears. He eats REALLY quickly, he can manage two in less time than Tehya manages one. Do you think it might be he's more food obsessed due to his missing eye?

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  21:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's trying to warn you to get away from him while he's eating.

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  21:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually leave him near his heatmat on his shelf while he's eating, so I can do a quick clean of his and the others' homes, so it's not like I'm sat watching him, more that I can hear him.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  21:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Either way, its a defensive thing. They are vulnerable when they are eating.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  21:55:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i find feeding in tubs handy to give me a chance to clean out too, he might be more defensive because he feels more vulnerable if he only has one eye
at feeding time snakes are particularly vulnerable as they're not really in a position to defend themselves or to move away quickly from a threat so covering the feeding tub with a sheet or towel might help him feel less stressed and so become less rattley

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 17/01/2010 21:56:23
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  23:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bit of a question here if you don't mind
when they eat they are vulnerable, but if they were to hiss and tail rattle so it was audible, wouldn’t that attract things that could potentially eat/harm them? Or would the noise be "scary" to things that could try and eat/harm them?

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

Edited by - n/a on 17/01/2010 23:16:11
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  10:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

when they eat they are vulnerable, but if they were to hiss and tail rattle so it was audible, wouldn’t that attract things that could potentially eat/harm them? Or would the noise be "scary" to things that could try and eat/harm them?

I would think that they only hiss and rattle when they are already feeling threatened and have already been noticed...so they do what they can to make themselves seem threatening, which for corns is not a lot....hence the hissing and tail rattling.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  13:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

when they eat they are vulnerable, but if they were to hiss and tail rattle so it was audible, wouldn�t that attract things that could potentially eat/harm them? Or would the noise be "scary" to things that could try and eat/harm them?

I would think that they only hiss and rattle when they are already feeling threatened and have already been noticed...so they do what they can to make themselves seem threatening, which for corns is not a lot....hence the hissing and tail rattling.

xxx

ah ok thanks

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000