The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Wizards first shed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nails Posted - 14/01/2010 : 19:03:38
Good evening everyone,
Wizard has had his first shed! everything has come off in pieces, his head is clear, and most of his body, but he still has about 2 inches left to go on his tail, should i leave him a day more, or should i soak it and help take it off? the rest of him looks beautiful, his colour is really nice.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 15/01/2010 : 16:35:53
That's what I've done with Snickers also. Since she really doesn't like baths. She sprays when she thinks I'm putting her in a bath and I don't like the smell.
quote:
Originally posted by Medusa09

Hi Donna, I'm not questioning anyone else's advice but I have very recently had exactly the same problem, Medusa was left with about an inch of shed on her tail. I didn't bath her, as I hear (as you would expect!) that they become very slippery and difficult to handle! I just damped some kitchen towel with warm water and let her wriggle through this several times, it did the trick nicely.

Kellog Posted - 14/01/2010 : 22:28:38
quote:
Originally posted by nails

Well i think he beat me to it, just gone to soak it off and there was more skin in the viv, and i can't see any left on him, next question is now he has shed should i feed him or leave him until the weekend when he is due?

Did Wizard miss a feed while he went from blue to shed? If he missed a feed then feed him tomorrow, if not then feed him on the normal feeding day. To be honest it is virtually the weekend already so it doesnt make much difference waiting until he is due to feed.

xxx
nails Posted - 14/01/2010 : 21:35:06
Well i think he beat me to it, just gone to soak it off and there was more skin in the viv, and i can't see any left on him, next question is now he has shed should i feed him or leave him until the weekend when he is due?
n/a Posted - 14/01/2010 : 20:25:34
Hi Donna, I'm not questioning anyone else's advice but I have very recently had exactly the same problem, Medusa was left with about an inch of shed on her tail. I didn't bath her, as I hear (as you would expect!) that they become very slippery and difficult to handle! I just damped some kitchen towel with warm water and let her wriggle through this several times, it did the trick nicely.
nails Posted - 14/01/2010 : 19:34:20
he has shed all over the place, i picked skin up from all over the viv, i will have my tea and then give it a go, watch this space as i will probably have more questions!!!!!! LOL
HannahB Posted - 14/01/2010 : 19:32:02
id help him get it off..

you can do this several ways but DONT PICK IT OFF WITH YOUR NAILS..as tempting as it is it, it often causes more damage than good.

best thing is to put Wizard in a bath..make sure the water is around 27*c (use the thermometer to check), let him wriggle about and soak and then let him wriggle through a towel - you can apply slight pressure at this point so that it helps to ease the skin off..

if you need to next time put a damp hide in when hes cleared up after turning blue - will help him out a bit more
nails Posted - 14/01/2010 : 19:27:11
So soak him in warm water first then, some damp paper towel and let him wiggle through that?
reptiledanny Posted - 14/01/2010 : 19:22:47
id prob take it off. soak him then wet a towel and let him wriggle through it

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000