Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  19:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening everyone,
Wizard has had his first shed! everything has come off in pieces, his head is clear, and most of his body, but he still has about 2 inches left to go on his tail, should i leave him a day more, or should i soak it and help take it off? the rest of him looks beautiful, his colour is really nice.

1 Carolina Corn- Wizard, 1 Anery corn- Epi, 1 snow corn Casper

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  19:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id prob take it off. soak him then wet a towel and let him wriggle through it

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  19:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So soak him in warm water first then, some damp paper towel and let him wiggle through that?

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  19:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id help him get it off..

you can do this several ways but DONT PICK IT OFF WITH YOUR NAILS..as tempting as it is it, it often causes more damage than good.

best thing is to put Wizard in a bath..make sure the water is around 27*c (use the thermometer to check), let him wriggle about and soak and then let him wriggle through a towel - you can apply slight pressure at this point so that it helps to ease the skin off..

if you need to next time put a damp hide in when hes cleared up after turning blue - will help him out a bit more

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  19:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he has shed all over the place, i picked skin up from all over the viv, i will have my tea and then give it a go, watch this space as i will probably have more questions!!!!!! LOL

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  20:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Donna, I'm not questioning anyone else's advice but I have very recently had exactly the same problem, Medusa was left with about an inch of shed on her tail. I didn't bath her, as I hear (as you would expect!) that they become very slippery and difficult to handle! I just damped some kitchen towel with warm water and let her wriggle through this several times, it did the trick nicely.

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey
Go to Top of Page

nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  21:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i think he beat me to it, just gone to soak it off and there was more skin in the viv, and i can't see any left on him, next question is now he has shed should i feed him or leave him until the weekend when he is due?

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  22:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nails

Well i think he beat me to it, just gone to soak it off and there was more skin in the viv, and i can't see any left on him, next question is now he has shed should i feed him or leave him until the weekend when he is due?

Did Wizard miss a feed while he went from blue to shed? If he missed a feed then feed him tomorrow, if not then feed him on the normal feeding day. To be honest it is virtually the weekend already so it doesnt make much difference waiting until he is due to feed.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  16:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I've done with Snickers also. Since she really doesn't like baths. She sprays when she thinks I'm putting her in a bath and I don't like the smell.
quote:
Originally posted by Medusa09

Hi Donna, I'm not questioning anyone else's advice but I have very recently had exactly the same problem, Medusa was left with about an inch of shed on her tail. I didn't bath her, as I hear (as you would expect!) that they become very slippery and difficult to handle! I just damped some kitchen towel with warm water and let her wriggle through this several times, it did the trick nicely.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000