The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Up north or not up north?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paulusworm Posted - 28/08/2009 : 16:53:40
Ok so we've all heard about how grim it is and the lack of running water, indoor toilets, electricity, etc but is it worth moving up there? . I'm looking at a few jobs that will involve me and my family relocating to the Yorkshire/Lancashire area and I'm wanting to know if it would be worth it. So here's your chance northerners. A chance to sing the praises of your much loved part of the country .

p.s. This is a legit request and not me trying to wind Kaz up
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sammysnake Posted - 12/09/2009 : 21:43:01
Sheffield's the place to be. I'm a definite wet and wooly shandy drinking southerner to my shame (born and bred in Brighton) but the three years I spent in Sheffield were the best. Chips 'n gravy.....mmmmmmmm, still miss it.

The greenest city in the country, vibrant, brimming with culture, surrounded by the most stunning countryside, people who make eye contact and say hello (well, 'eh up luv' anyway), bendy buses (do they still have them?), cheap beer, late night bakers open 'till midnight with cakes as big as your head for 20p (OK the price is an exaggeration but the rest is not) - what's not to love.

If it wasn't for family commitments I'd move back to beautiful Yorkshire in a heartbeat (no TV pun intended).
eeji Posted - 12/09/2009 : 17:51:42
quote:
Originally posted by widey

Lol... you've got to be tough to live up here none of that nancy eastenders pretend bravado in these parts. It rains a lot and it when its hot its cold. We put gravy on chips and puddings arn't a type of sweet they have meat in them! Beer has a head on it and tastes like beer!
Muffins are a type of bread not some crappy sweet fairy cake that the yanks eat and you put chips and gravy on them with lots of vinegar and salt.
Strangers will smile and take time out to talk to you and people are by and large very friendly..........

Joking apart its just like anywhere else in the UK. It has its good points and bad points.
Don't believe thepoopyou read in the news about Manchester. There isn't anywhere that i can think of thats a no go area. And there are still more shootings in New York every day than there are here in a year!........Come up north its gradly fein.........

well said! ......and you can get a proper pie from the chippy without being looked at funny! :D

Skem is a bit depressing though
Paulusworm Posted - 12/09/2009 : 10:39:54
Can't be any weirder than down here
Kazerella Posted - 12/09/2009 : 09:44:44
quote:
Originally posted by Lewy

Oh no! Don't do it!

Move to Barnsley or Sheffield so you are near enough to visit, but don't have to live in that ram-shackle town. Only weirdos live in Rotherham

Log out Lewy!!! I hate you!
Lewy Posted - 12/09/2009 : 09:43:10
Oh no! Don't do it!

Move to Barnsley or Sheffield so you are near enough to visit, but don't have to live in that ram-shackle town. Only weirdos live in Rotherham
Paulusworm Posted - 11/09/2009 : 19:29:56
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

....(but don't go anywhere near Rotherham- that is a Royston Vasey type town

LOL. Just found out that that is where my Uncle Burt was from .
Blackecho Posted - 31/08/2009 : 20:54:14
I made the same choice Paulus, cheap housing, friendly people, good job.
Paulusworm Posted - 31/08/2009 : 19:59:08
Yorkshire is favourite if we do it because my late uncle's family were born/live there. Dunno whereabouts mind you but it would be nicer to move somewhere where we've got family.
Kazerella Posted - 31/08/2009 : 19:18:29
Lancashire! That's just a county that wishes it was Yorkshire
Kellog Posted - 31/08/2009 : 00:30:16
quote:
Originally posted by inkiepixie
[
(Don't go to Yorkshire though. Lancashire is the place you're looking. *nods*)

How dare you insult Yorkshire by suggesting that Lancashire is the place to go - it doesnt compare to Yorkshire....the two counties shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentance! xxx
inkiepixie Posted - 30/08/2009 : 19:50:07
Get thee up there! I've got myself stuck in the south* and stuck to a southerner and he refuses to let me go back to the Promised Land.... :(

(Don't go to Yorkshire though. Lancashire is the place you're looking. *nods*)

*I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS DOWN HERE NOTTINGHAM IS IN THE BLOODY SOUTH OK???
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/08/2009 : 14:45:20
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

I need to introduce you to those lovely people at Ringwood Brewery

Definately!!! forty-niner is the best, followed by ringwood best, then 'old thumper'.
Kazerella Posted - 30/08/2009 : 13:47:32
Babycham! That's an old lady drink. Us young'uns only drink stuff by the pint and you'd need at least 5 babycham bottles to fill a pint pot. So much cheaper to buy lambrini
Paulusworm Posted - 30/08/2009 : 10:38:32
quote:

We do have some nice ale up here.

I think you'll find that Babycham is a perry not an ale Kaz .
Kazerella Posted - 30/08/2009 : 09:53:37
We do have some nice ale up here. That's why I've got a size 8-10 frame but a size 14 beer gut
Kellog Posted - 29/08/2009 : 23:28:49
Sorry, I have to say that nothing beats Yorkshire beer - and I live down south! My OH was born and bred in London and is a bit of a bitter snob (no puns please) and even he thinks Yorkshire tastes best!! xxx
Paulusworm Posted - 29/08/2009 : 21:27:04
quote:

...... being a southerner and therefore marinaded in shandy.....

I need to introduce you to those lovely people at Ringwood Brewery
Kazerella Posted - 29/08/2009 : 18:32:08
The Northerners won't eat Paulusworm as he already knows all the Yorkshire hard cases- me, Lewy, BE, Magnecticblue, Dazb, Gingerpony- we'll look after him properly.

Plus I don't think Paulusworm would taste very nice, being a southerner and therefore marinaded in shandy.....not even with mushy peas on top

You should come up to have a look. We do have nice bits you know. Check out the Peak District. Sheffield, Leeds and York are nice cities.

....(but don't go anywhere near Rotherham- that is a Royston Vasey type town
Brookestar Posted - 29/08/2009 : 18:14:39
SOAP is that an abbreviation for Southerners Only Apply Poo

i give as good as i take

only joking but thought it was quite fast for me
Flatpack63 Posted - 29/08/2009 : 18:02:28
quote:
Originally posted by Brookestar

im from manchester but i say come up. southerners smell funny

That funny smell us Southerners have is called SOAP
(Only joking. I just couldn't resist it.)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000