The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 defrosting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 22/07/2009 : 21:09:46
i have seen alot of members askin each other how they defrost there rodents but never have seen an answer, dose this mean there is a right and a wrong way?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
punumbear Posted - 23/07/2009 : 18:44:20
get out all three food items night b4 leave in small sealed take away tubs when food night rolls round just blast all items in turn with hair dryer whilst letting scent woft into the feed tubs.. this works a treat for all of em.. used this on 3 hammys last night for big corn.. with great results.
n/a Posted - 23/07/2009 : 18:38:02
if im in a rush i put them into a shot glass, and put the glass into a jug of hot water (filled so its not as high as the shot glass) or if im not in a rush just leave it out in a room, then a qick blast with a hair dryer
n/a Posted - 23/07/2009 : 16:49:27
Mr rat always comes in his own freezer bag which is nicely rat scented! leave to thaw for a few hours and then just before feeding drop the bag in some warm water (weighted down so immersed) to warm Mr rat up to eating temperature. Its at this point you have to be careful of the Frankenstein effect or re animation of the said rodent. If they wake up and start trying to eat their way out of the bag I find a claw or lump hammer soon sorts the situation out.
Its important that you hit them in the head as you should be aware that only a head shot will kill a zombie rat....................
n/a Posted - 23/07/2009 : 15:49:17
so many personal preferences lol.
Brookestar Posted - 23/07/2009 : 13:12:06
mine goes into a sandwich bad sealed then put in a jug of warm water
SexyBear77 Posted - 23/07/2009 : 12:06:55
quote:
Originally posted by Taz Devil

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

mine get left out to defrost in my room, I find hot water makes them smell!

Isn't that what the snake likes. something with a little scent to it.
I leave my fuzzies to defrost for about an hour or a little longer if they are not squishy around the stomach. I then place both fuzzies into Sids favourite hide to eat. (I really need to go and get it sexed so that I can say what sex it is).

it may be nice for the snake but I dont like it!
Remmy Posted - 23/07/2009 : 11:08:08
quote:
Originally posted by lucifer

Tried soaking mine in hot water today and it made Lucien's feed take awhile, he is very lazy and likes to use the side of the lunch box to manoeuvre but the wet pinkie kept sliding on the edges. He looked so confused bless him.

Lucifer, Put the mouse in a lunch bag first then put it in hot water, it stops it getting wet.
PunkAsF82 Posted - 23/07/2009 : 10:43:25
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I take mouse out of freezer night before feeding day, wrap it in paper and seal it, then leave it overnight in a cupboard. Try to feed 1st thing in morning. Any better suggestions? xxx

personally, i wouldn't introduce any surface to the mouse that doesn't need be/ The paper could get sruck to little mousy, and that may end up with impaction if the fibres decide to bundle together inside the mouse

Also, you can sterilise a tupperware box or summa,t but you cant strealise paper

I used to jsut simply leave the mouse/mice in a sealed tupperwareer box that I had disinfected and thourghly cleaned, just leave it whiel i was at school to defrost to room temp, then feed in the evening.
lucifer Posted - 23/07/2009 : 10:15:12
Tried soaking mine in hot water today and it made Lucien's feed take awhile, he is very lazy and likes to use the side of the lunch box to manoeuvre but the wet pinkie kept sliding on the edges. He looked so confused bless him.
Taz Devil Posted - 23/07/2009 : 10:09:11
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Isn't that what the snake likes. something with a little scent to it.
I leave my fuzzies to defrost for about an hour or a little longer if they are not squishy around the stomach. I then place both fuzzies into Sids favourite hide to eat. (I really need to go and get it sexed so that I can say what sex it is).
SexyBear77 Posted - 23/07/2009 : 08:54:35
lucifer Posted - 22/07/2009 : 22:18:10
I put mine in a lunch box, when its defrosted I leave it under the heat lamp for a few mins to warm it up and then put my little guy inside the lunch box.
Mick Posted - 22/07/2009 : 22:08:26
I also take mine out in the morning and let it defrost throughout the day.
Then they get a soak in some hotish (not tooo hot) water to bring their temps up
and then I feed them to Mojo. Wet mice slip down a little easier IMO ;)
BlueTongueDan Posted - 22/07/2009 : 21:57:40
I either defrost the rodents in warm water or leave them to thaw out in my room for the day.
Budaholic Posted - 22/07/2009 : 21:44:52
I take a mouse out in the morning and let it defrost naturally in a container wrapped in kitchen paper.

I feed that evening just before it gets dark, because that's when Alice is most active. I also quickly warm her prey with a hair dryer for a few seconds.

She seems to like it that way.
n/a Posted - 22/07/2009 : 21:41:59
i defrost in hot water
n/a Posted - 22/07/2009 : 21:25:37
well i have always defrosted in water, im new to this site and its nice to hear all the different opionions, thanks guys.....
cumbrian eejit Posted - 22/07/2009 : 21:25:20
I usually get the feed out in the morning, and then as it gets to dusk I put the mouse head down in a pot held over a cup of hot water for a few mins to warm up the head, hope this helps.
Scott.
Kellog Posted - 22/07/2009 : 21:18:56
I take mouse out of freezer night before feeding day, wrap it in paper and seal it, then leave it overnight in a cupboard. Try to feed 1st thing in morning. Any better suggestions? xxx
matty18714 Posted - 22/07/2009 : 21:14:01
There is no wrong way, just try and do it as cleanly and as practacly as possible.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000