defrosting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

102 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  21:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have seen alot of members askin each other how they defrost there rodents but never have seen an answer, dose this mean there is a right and a wrong way?

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  21:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no wrong way, just try and do it as cleanly and as practacly as possible.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  21:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take mouse out of freezer night before feeding day, wrap it in paper and seal it, then leave it overnight in a cupboard. Try to feed 1st thing in morning. Any better suggestions? xxx

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  21:25:20  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I usually get the feed out in the morning, and then as it gets to dusk I put the mouse head down in a pot held over a cup of hot water for a few mins to warm up the head, hope this helps.
Scott.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

102 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  21:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i have always defrosted in water, im new to this site and its nice to hear all the different opionions, thanks guys.....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  21:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i defrost in hot water

0.0.1 Striped Cali King "Hunter"
0.0.1 Snow corn "Stockton"
0.0.1 Blue tongue "Thompson"
1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  21:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I take a mouse out in the morning and let it defrost naturally in a container wrapped in kitchen paper.

I feed that evening just before it gets dark, because that's when Alice is most active. I also quickly warm her prey with a hair dryer for a few seconds.

She seems to like it that way.

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  21:57:40  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I either defrost the rodents in warm water or leave them to thaw out in my room for the day.

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Yearling

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  22:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also take mine out in the morning and let it defrost throughout the day.
Then they get a soak in some hotish (not tooo hot) water to bring their temps up
and then I feed them to Mojo. Wet mice slip down a little easier IMO ;)

1.0.0 Hypo Striped Corn (Mojo)

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  22:18:10  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I put mine in a lunch box, when its defrosted I leave it under the heat lamp for a few mins to warm it up and then put my little guy inside the lunch box.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  08:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine get left out to defrost in my room, I find hot water makes them smell!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  10:09:11  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Isn't that what the snake likes. something with a little scent to it.
I leave my fuzzies to defrost for about an hour or a little longer if they are not squishy around the stomach. I then place both fuzzies into Sids favourite hide to eat. (I really need to go and get it sexed so that I can say what sex it is).

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  10:15:12  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tried soaking mine in hot water today and it made Lucien's feed take awhile, he is very lazy and likes to use the side of the lunch box to manoeuvre but the wet pinkie kept sliding on the edges. He looked so confused bless him.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  10:43:25  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I take mouse out of freezer night before feeding day, wrap it in paper and seal it, then leave it overnight in a cupboard. Try to feed 1st thing in morning. Any better suggestions? xxx

personally, i wouldn't introduce any surface to the mouse that doesn't need be/ The paper could get sruck to little mousy, and that may end up with impaction if the fibres decide to bundle together inside the mouse

Also, you can sterilise a tupperware box or summa,t but you cant strealise paper

I used to jsut simply leave the mouse/mice in a sealed tupperwareer box that I had disinfected and thourghly cleaned, just leave it whiel i was at school to defrost to room temp, then feed in the evening.

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  11:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucifer

Tried soaking mine in hot water today and it made Lucien's feed take awhile, he is very lazy and likes to use the side of the lunch box to manoeuvre but the wet pinkie kept sliding on the edges. He looked so confused bless him.

Lucifer, Put the mouse in a lunch bag first then put it in hot water, it stops it getting wet.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  12:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taz Devil

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Isn't that what the snake likes. something with a little scent to it.
I leave my fuzzies to defrost for about an hour or a little longer if they are not squishy around the stomach. I then place both fuzzies into Sids favourite hide to eat. (I really need to go and get it sexed so that I can say what sex it is).

it may be nice for the snake but I dont like it!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  13:12:06  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mine goes into a sandwich bad sealed then put in a jug of warm water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

102 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  15:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so many personal preferences lol.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

348 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  16:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr rat always comes in his own freezer bag which is nicely rat scented! leave to thaw for a few hours and then just before feeding drop the bag in some warm water (weighted down so immersed) to warm Mr rat up to eating temperature. Its at this point you have to be careful of the Frankenstein effect or re animation of the said rodent. If they wake up and start trying to eat their way out of the bag I find a claw or lump hammer soon sorts the situation out.
Its important that you hit them in the head as you should be aware that only a head shot will kill a zombie rat....................

1.0.0 cash snow corn
0.0.3 koi carp
0.0.18 assorted gold fish
axolotl eggs ready to hatch
0.1.0 Chaco golden knee T
0.1.0 chilli rose pending!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  18:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if im in a rush i put them into a shot glass, and put the glass into a jug of hot water (filled so its not as high as the shot glass) or if im not in a rush just leave it out in a room, then a qick blast with a hair dryer

0.2.0 corn snake
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
2.1.0 Hermann tortoises
3.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Bird
0.0.5 Fish
1.0.0 Ferrets
1.2.0 bearded dragons
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  18:44:20  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
get out all three food items night b4 leave in small sealed take away tubs when food night rolls round just blast all items in turn with hair dryer whilst letting scent woft into the feed tubs.. this works a treat for all of em.. used this on 3 hammys last night for big corn.. with great results.

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000