The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 took the plunge!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beenie Posted - 12/04/2013 : 08:27:33
Hello all! I spoke to a few people on here before and kinda agreed on jumping in to getting a brb .... Well that hasn't happened yet! I decided driving lessons are a must and put snakes to the back of my mind about 5 days ago.
2 days ago however, a week colleague approached me and asked if i could rehome a corn he has been looking after as the owner is now at uni. Obviously i jumped at the chance! I don't know much about the snake other than he's about 6 years old and about 5 food. Eats 2 pinkies a week and shed (im not sure if that's enough food and they haven't been keeping a log of sheds so may need help there). Apparently a very friendly snake and a good looking one. (will upload pics as soon as he's here) and im not sure they know for certain what sex he is.
So! How much have i chucked myself in the deep end?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 14/07/2013 : 21:34:57
Love the pictures of the snake. Such a happy face ^^
Beenie Posted - 14/07/2013 : 14:53:41
Hello everyone! Long time no post i know but thought id update you all.
Nipper now has a more regulated viv and comes out a few times a week.
Today he weight 508 (he's lost a bit so any advice there would be good) but he's now 4 foot 4 .
He has shed 4 times since we have had him as we have been moving his food up. He's now comfortably on 1 large every 10 days. Pooing without a problem too.

Excuse my topless husband lol
Kellog Posted - 06/05/2013 : 11:00:35
Don't worry about worrying about him Sophie ....we've all been where you are and often we still worry, even people who've had snakes for years. It's also very easy for us to tell you not to worry, it's a lot harder for you to do! But the confidence will come as you get used to him, and he gets used to you .

I'm so glad he did a clean shed for you . It also might explain why he hasn't been feeding, none of mine will eat when they're blue and Silvi goes off her food even before her eyes cloud over.

And I echo Smartbunny....where are the pics of him looking all shiny and new ??!!

Xxx
Beenie Posted - 05/05/2013 : 19:12:01
He's hiding again now lol. Eye bits and tail are all in the shed
smart bunny Posted - 05/05/2013 : 18:28:05
Well... where's the shiny snakey pics then? lol :P Glad he shed OK for you, did you check the shed to make sure the eyecaps and tail tip had come off properly?
Beenie Posted - 05/05/2013 : 10:48:14
Beenie Posted - 05/05/2013 : 10:44:47
Woke up this morning to find he had shed! At least wrong know when he sheds he goes brown lol! I worry so much about him constantly. He's now in his hide and looking happy so i need to chill out a bit
Sta~ple Posted - 04/05/2013 : 08:35:19
He sounds healthly :) I wouldn't stress about the light, so long as you have a mat and stat they are not needed :)
Kellog Posted - 03/05/2013 : 13:57:33
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

........ There isn't usually 'medium' mice........

Really? I thought mediums were the norm, a lot of people stick with mediums as a final food I thought (not us, Corno is on large lol).

Sorry Smartbunny, total brain fog moment....made worse by the fact I've got medium mice in my freezer ! It was because I'd recently been looking at the Feeding Guide and it groups small and mediums together.

I totally agree about not putting the heatmat on the wall of the viv, it will be virtually useless there. You can stick it down, this will tell you how - Setting up an adult corn snake - My 101 If you do stick it down you can still have a sprinkling of chips on top of it, just make sure that the probes for the thermostat and thermometer are directly on the mat so if he moves the chips then the temp is right.

Is he spending all his time under the mat or does he sometimes use the cool end hide? What is the temp in the warm end? There isn't actually anything wrong with him hiding under there, as long as the mat is statted and doesn't get too hot....but obviously it's not ideal.

You say he's become very picky and not interested in food....is he still eating? Has his general behaviour in the viv changed? As Smartbunny has said, various things can effect his feeding and they can to a LONG time without eat, so try not to worry.

Xxx
Beenie Posted - 03/05/2013 : 13:22:32
Thanks. He had his heavy hide on the top of it but he squashed himself under it all and it disrupted all the chips too. Shall i move all the chips off it, glue it to the floor and only have the hide on the top with no chips covering the heatmat?
smart bunny Posted - 03/05/2013 : 11:17:39
Don't put it on the side as he won't be able to get any heat from it then - he needs to be able to lie on top of it (or under it lol!). Have you tried putting a heavy hide over the mat so he cannot get under it? That's all I do, I don't bother to fasten mine down as I think it would make it harder to clean out the viv. If you wanted to stick it down though people use hot glue guns as it's safe to put the snake straight back in the viv once it has dried and cooled unlike sealant which gives off fumes for 48 hrs.

Various things could be affecting his feeding - breeding season, getting ready to shed etc. so try not to worry just yet :)
Beenie Posted - 02/05/2013 : 17:54:02
Sorry for the lack of replies. We have been letting him settle.but have found he just hides under his heat mat. Im thinking about sticking it to the wall instead odds the floor. He also became very picky and didnt seem to interested in his food.x
smart bunny Posted - 21/04/2013 : 07:31:11
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

It certainly sounds as though you could move him up, once you've used up all your small mice. There isn't usually 'medium' mice, so you would be putting him on to large mice. You could start out by picking out the smaller ones to begin with if you can or getting the shop to weigh them.....but I would think he'll eat them without a problem .

Xxx

Really? I thought mediums were the norm, a lot of people stick with mediums as a final food I thought (not us, Corno is on large lol).
Kellog Posted - 21/04/2013 : 05:09:17
It certainly sounds as though you could move him up, once you've used up all your small mice. There isn't usually 'medium' mice, so you would be putting him on to large mice. You could start out by picking out the smaller ones to begin with if you can or getting the shop to weigh them.....but I would think he'll eat them without a problem .

Xxx
Beenie Posted - 19/04/2013 : 14:08:29
No we didn't see a noticeable bump but as soon as he could he hid haha!
Kellog Posted - 18/04/2013 : 21:45:46
Glad that he ate well for you Sophie . Once he'd eaten both mice could you see any 'bump'?

Xxx
lupi lou Posted - 18/04/2013 : 19:44:47
He's lovely he reminds me a lot of 8's mum color wise :-)
Beenie Posted - 18/04/2013 : 16:49:11
Apparently he shed not long before being rehomed :-/ his belly isn't faded x
ScalySituation Posted - 18/04/2013 : 08:56:09
He's a very yummy normal :D :D

What does his belly look like? are the chequers kind of faded?
Razee Posted - 18/04/2013 : 08:26:35
I wonder, if you're right, smart bunny. My Bazil turns to a caramel look alike, before she goes darker, could well be the shed is on the way...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000